Old 07-11-2008, 08:23 PM
NoOp

Default unsubscribing

On 07/11/2008 01:13 PM, Michael "TheZorch" Haney wrote:

> My post wasn't for Brie Gordon but to the community as a whole, maybe I
> should have been clearly on that. It pertained to the guy's question
> about installing Ubuntu. He downloaded, didn't really know how to use a
> .ISO file and Windows being Windows tried to open it with Notepad. So,
> let me be clear, this isn't about Brie Gordon's response on this thread,
> but about the way people responded to this guy on his first one asking
> for help.

Cite?

Old 07-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Karl Larsen

Santiago Hernández Lemes wrote:
> We need to be big enough to realize that Linux is not for everyone.
> An old person who has used windows for 5 years and then tries Ubuntu and
> this list can be blown away by the complexity. That is why it's such a
> real milestone when a computer company will sell you a computer with
> Ubuntu installed.
>
> I think that Ubuntu is for me, I am a newbie, but I used it for 2 years, I
> am a software developer and I am working in a company as QA with Ubuntu
> machines.
> I did not ask newbie quetions, I think that they where middle complex
> questions...

What happened I am sure was your questions did not ask for an
answer. All of us try to help everyone. But it takes a clear question to
get an answer.

Keep asking and I am sure you will get answers.

Karl

> PD: Sorry for my english

That should be: PS Sorry for my english

Santiago, I live in the state of New Mexico. We have about half of
the people Latino. The young Latino people all speak English because
they learned it in school. In your case you live where Spanish is the
language used. But to use this list you must use English.

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-11-2008, 08:38 PM
"Aquil H. Abdullah"

Kill this thread please.* The user who started the thread was a linux newbie, in fact he may have been a computer newbie, and on top of that there may have been some things lost in translation.* Anyway, Linux is not for the faint of heart.* Ubuntu, has made it a lot easier for non-Linux folks to ease into the Linux world; the fact that Dell ships with it may serve to support my delirium.* The bottom line Linux will appeal to some, but not to most, all we can do is continue to support each other on lists, forums, and blogs until the *most* have a need to be hackers like us.

Regards

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 4:23 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 07/11/2008 01:13 PM, Michael "TheZorch" Haney wrote:

> My post wasn't for Brie Gordon but to the community as a whole, maybe I

> should have been clearly on that. *It pertained to the guy's question

> about installing Ubuntu. *He downloaded, didn't really know how to use a

> .ISO file and Windows being Windows tried to open it with Notepad. *So,

> let me be clear, this isn't about Brie Gordon's response on this thread,

> but about the way people responded to this guy on his first one asking

> for help.

Cite?

Aquil H. Abdullah
aquil.abdullah@gmail.com

Old 07-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 16:13 -0400, Michael "TheZorch" Haney wrote:
> My post wasn't for Brie Gordon but to the community as a whole, maybe I
> should have been clearly on that. It pertained to the guy's question
> about installing Ubuntu. He downloaded, didn't really know how to use a
> .ISO file and Windows being Windows tried to open it with Notepad.

No, that was Leslie Bounan.

> So,
> let me be clear, this isn't about Brie Gordon's response on this thread,
> but about the way people responded to this guy on his first one asking
> for help.

12 Answers to Leslie Bounan, "Please help", about the iso:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2008-July/152338.html

7 of which offering different solutions and advice for the problem in
question, in including yours.
1 offering general mailing list advice/help (mine).
1 not helpful and a bit rude (usual suspect).
2 replies to that, one humorous, 1 annoyed.

Not too bad a result, I would think. Why do you think that Leslie was
treated badly? I really want to know.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:45 PM
"Santiago Hernández Lemes"

* Santiago, I live in the state of New Mexico. We have about half of

the people Latino. The young Latino people all speak English because

they learned it in school. In your case you live where Spanish is the

language used. But to use this list you must use English.

Please note that I have never used Spanish and also I have never said nothing about talking in Spanish, I have just apologised because of my Writting

2008/7/11 Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com>:

Santiago Hernández Lemes wrote:

> * *We need to be big enough to realize that Linux is not for everyone.

> An old person who has used windows for 5 years and then tries Ubuntu and

> this list can be blown away by the complexity. That is why it's such a

> real milestone when a computer company will sell you a computer with

> Ubuntu installed.

> I think that Ubuntu is for me, I am a newbie, but I used it for 2 years, I

> am a software developer and I am working in a company as QA with Ubuntu

> machines.

> I did not ask newbie quetions, I think that they where middle complex

> questions...

* *What happened I am sure was your questions did not ask for an

answer. All of us try to help everyone. But it takes a clear question to

get an answer.

* *Keep asking and I am sure you will get answers.

Karl

> PD: Sorry for my english

* *That should be: PS Sorry for my english

* *Santiago, I live in the state of New Mexico. We have about half of

the people Latino. The young Latino people all speak English because

they learned it in school. In your case you live where Spanish is the

language used. But to use this list you must use English.

--

* * * *Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI

* * * *Linux User

* * * *#450462 * http://counter.li.org.

* PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C *ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7

Old 07-11-2008, 08:45 PM
"Victor Padro"

> PD: Sorry for my english

* *That should be: PS Sorry for my english

* *Santiago, I live in the state of New Mexico. We have about half of

the people Latino. The young Latino people all speak English because

they learned it in school. In your case you live where Spanish is the

language used. But to use this list you must use English.

Now every grammar mistake we have here we "the people latino" in the list must be analized?
I'm sorry but everytime I try to make a point here or any list I try to do my best so native english people could understand what I am trying to achieve, and believe me it's hard sometimes because I'm not a translator or even an interpreter and I think most of the foreign people here do think the same, so I think you shouldn't point grammar errors the way you do, sometimes it's annoying or even sounded racist on my point of view.

I'm sorry if I am being rude, but that's the behaviour maybe many people see and decide to go away from the wonderful Linux world, so I could add not to be rude or even try to be a smart ass with non-native english subjects including "people latino"

Cheers,

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Old 07-11-2008, 08:53 PM
"Santiago Hernández Lemes"

I am Uruguaian, not only Latino, I know you understand what I mean.
Here we are just like you, the only difference is language, I speak Spanish, you Speak English, just this.
Some people thinks that we do not exist, but this is not true, just ask a half of the "first world" people where Uruguay is, and they will don´t know, but I know where are many countries where you live, maybe because we take care about everybody, not just about us.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Michael "TheZorch" Haney wrote:
> Bart Silverstrim wrote:

>> The original complaint about driving the newbie away, I don't know what
>> part of the message you quoted was negative? It had a link and said to
>> try the form at the bottom...what's wrong with that?
> My post wasn't for Brie Gordon but to the community as a whole, maybe I
> should have been clearly on that. It pertained to the guy's question
> about installing Ubuntu. He downloaded, didn't really know how to use a
> .ISO file and Windows being Windows tried to open it with Notepad. So,
> let me be clear, this isn't about Brie Gordon's response on this thread,
> but about the way people responded to this guy on his first one asking
> for help.

I don't know about the thread you're citing (I think I saw the first one
and pretty much knew the response tone since it's a question that only
comes up, what, three times a week?); I predicted it would be a lot of
"don't burn the file, burn the image", "Use something like Nero",
"Google what an ISO file is"...

And you're right in that you probably should not have quoted that
message to start trying to push even-handed replies to questioned
perceived to be idiotic or inane if for no other reason than you
probably gave a moment of offense to the poster you quoted when they
were in the right. Thank you for the clarification on that though.

Third, I stand by my original assertions that this is one possible
avenue for answers from volunteers in the community. If you want a
greater guarantee to your questions, they they'll be "authoritative" and
timely and are supposed to meet a particular standard, anyone is invited
to join with the paid support from Canonical. No one on this list to my
knowledge is paid to do this, and that means you pay a price by having
to do some thinking and legwork on your own and others on the list are
allowed a little leeway in relaxing their "public faces" and showing the
occasional wart when a questioner is obnoxious or refusing to follow
simple suggestions such as googling the initial problem.

If someone drops an attempt to use Ubuntu because of a mailing list's
reaction (and of course the person asking the question is never guilty
of instigating curt, rude responses, right?), then really they weren't
looking to switch to Ubuntu in the first place. I've had my share of
jerks answering my innocent questions, I've made misstatements and asked
questions that were the result of brain farts, and I've tried living
with my lumps for it. So I try to play by the rules of the community,
such as:

GOOGLE first.
Describe the problem. More than just, "It doesn't work. This sucks."
Give descriptive Subject: line.

Some people are jerks. Deal with it. Other times I get fabulous help.
Thanks. If I said "piss off" to the some activity every time something
mildly offensive was hurled by someone having a bad day or because of my
own thoughtlessness triggering a verbal slap, I'd never get out of bed
in the morning.

-Bart

Old 07-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Karl Larsen

Santiago Hernández Lemes wrote:
> Santiago, I live in the state of New Mexico. We have about half of
> the people Latino. The young Latino people all speak English because
> they learned it in school. In your case you live where Spanish is the
> language used. But to use this list you must use English.
>
> Please note that I have never used Spanish and also I have never said
> nothing about talking in Spanish, I have just apologised because of my
> Writting

That is not Writting it should be writing. Well a lot of us have trouble with writing. And yes I assumbed you were in a country that uses Spanish like Mexico.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Freitag, den 11.07.2008, 15:11 -0600 schrieb Karl Larsen:
> > Please note that I have never used Spanish and also I have never said
> > nothing about talking in Spanish, I have just apologised because of my
> > Writting
> >
> That is not Writting it should be writing. Well a lot of us have trouble with writing. And yes I assumbed you were in a country that uses Spanish like Mexico.

you really should not *assumbe* so much if you correct other peoples
typos :P

ciao
oli