Old 12-04-2007, 05:02 PM
andy baxter

Default videoconferencing using linux / free software

A friend has asked me if I could find out about free software for
videoconferencing. At the moment he just wants a general idea of what is
possible, but has also asked me if I could set something up for him.

Does anyone have any practical experience with this who could advise me
on where to start looking? E.g. which software is actually worth
investigating further. I've found the following page through google:

http://myhome.hanafos.com/~soonjp/vclinux.html

but there are so many projects it's a bit hard to know where to start.

Thanks,

andy.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:31 PM
NoOp

On 12/04/2007 10:02 AM, andy baxter wrote:
> A friend has asked me if I could find out about free software for
> videoconferencing. At the moment he just wants a general idea of what is
> possible, but has also asked me if I could set something up for him.
>
> Does anyone have any practical experience with this who could advise me
> on where to start looking? E.g. which software is actually worth
> investigating further. I've found the following page through google:
>
> http://myhome.hanafos.com/~soonjp/vclinux.html
>
> but there are so many projects it's a bit hard to know where to start.

No practical experience, but the Ubunutu promoted & installed by default
in Gutsy is Ekiga (was GnomeMeeting):

http://www.gnomemeeting.org/
http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/gnome/ekiga
https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnomemeeting/+bugs
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ekiga/

Old 12-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Caleb Marcus

No practical experience, but the Ubunutu promoted & installed by default
in Gutsy is Ekiga (was GnomeMeeting):

http://www.gnomemeeting.org/
http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/gnome/ekiga
https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnomemeeting/+bugs
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ekiga/

Right now, Ekiga's pretty crappy... but version 3 should be tons better, whenever it arrives.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:16 AM
Jonathan Kaye

andy baxter wrote:

> A friend has asked me if I could find out about free software for
> videoconferencing. At the moment he just wants a general idea of what is
> possible, but has also asked me if I could set something up for him.
>
> Does anyone have any practical experience with this who could advise me
> on where to start looking? E.g. which software is actually worth
> investigating further. I've found the following page through google:
>
> http://myhome.hanafos.com/~soonjp/vclinux.html
>
> but there are so many projects it's a bit hard to know where to start.
>
> Thanks,
>
> andy.
Hi Andy
ekiga, amsn, kopete (kopete is in kde but you should be able to get it to
work with gnome).
Cheers,
Jonathan

Please do not send me copies of list mail. I read the lists. Thanks!