Old 12-04-2007, 02:13 PM
"John Dangler"

Default evolution cannot access addressbook

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 05:24 -0500, Philippe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After a backup / restore of Evolution from Fedora to Ubuntu,
> everything
> is working OK but Evolution cannot access the addressbook with the
> message :
>
> ERROR LOADING ADDRESSBOOK
> We were unable to open this addressbook. Please check that the
> path /home/user/.evolution/addressbook/local/system exists and that
> you
> have permission to access it.
>
> I did check it, even chmod 777 on it, nothing works !
>
> $ ls -l addressbook/local/system/addressbook.db
> -rwxrwxrwx 1 user user 24576 2007-11-29 11:10
> addressbook/local/system/addressbook.db
>
> $ ls -ld .evolution
> drwxr-xr-x 9 user user 4096 2007-12-04 17:17 .evolution
>
> Can anybody check if this is the right place to put the addressbook ..
> maybe it can be different in Fedora.
>
> Deleting the addressbook.db does not fix the problem.
>
> Any hints ?
Phillipe
I'm not sure why that happens but it does happen to me periodically.
However, I also cannot access the Global Address List either. It seems
Evo has a serious flaw in that it cannot authenticate to an Active
Directory server. The local addressbook should be able to be accessed.
If you look in .evolution/addressbook/local/system , both those files
should be owned/grouped by you with 644 perms. If you still have a
backup of that addressbook, you can go into evo addressbooks and remove
it, then import it again, and see if you get any messages during the
import. let us know how that process goes.

Jack