Old 12-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Peter Spotts

Default Question about Wireless (again)

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 04:55 -0600, Anthony Papillion wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I really hate to bug the list with this again but the solution I used
> last time for this problem didn't work this time and I've been
> Googleing for over 3 hours and can't find an answer. I do hope someone
> look past my newbiness and take time to help me out.
>
> I have an Acer Aspire 5100 notebook and I had Ubuntu 7.10 working
> absolutely fine on it earlier tonight. A friend of mine thought it
> would be funny to reinstall Windows on the system so he backed up my
> files and when I got home I had a shiny new XP system waiting on me.
> Of course, I immediately pulled out my CD and reinstalled Ubuntu. Now,
> the wireless won't work.
>
> Last time, all I had to do as type 'iwconfig' to find my wireless card
> was configured as ath0 (it is again now). Then I simply typed 'sudo
> ifconfig ath0' to bring the interface up and connect to my wireless
> network. My network has no protection as I want to run an open AP for
> everyone.
>
> Tonight, the laptop simply would not connect to the router. Other PC's
> were connected so I know the router is accepting connections. I am
> using the 192.168.1.X addressing scheme but for some reason this
> laptop is being assigned a public address and different subnet mask
> than the rest of my network. When I manually configured the interface
> using 'sudo ifconfig ath0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up' it
> looked like the if came up but there was no entry in my routers dhcp
> clients table and I still didn't have internet access.
>
> I am sitting her absolutely pulling my hair out. I KNOW there is
> something simple I'm missing. Can anyone lend me a hand to figure out
> what?
>
> Thanks!
> Anthony

Are you sure that shouldn't be ifup ath0?

Pete

--
Peter N. Spotts | Science reporter
The Christian Science Monitor

"The knack of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
-- Douglas Adams, "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Old 12-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Karl Auer

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 04:55 -0600, Anthony Papillion wrote:
> Tonight, the laptop simply would not connect to the router. Other PC's
> were connected so I know the router is accepting connections. I am
> using the 192.168.1.X addressing scheme but for some reason this
> laptop is being assigned a public address and different subnet mask
> than the rest of my network. When I manually configured the interface
> using 'sudo ifconfig ath0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up' it
> looked like the if came up but there was no entry in my routers dhcp
> clients table and I still didn't have internet access.

What device is acting as DHCP server? Does it have enough addresses for
all the clients in your network?

Try an address other than 192.168.1.1 - this is probably the address of
the router in that network.

What do you see when you do "iwlist ath0 scanning"? Can you see the
access point? Do you see *other* access points; could it be that you are
inadvertently associating with the wrong access point?

What "public address and different subnet mask" are you being assigned?
If it's 169.something then you have the address you get when you get no
address :-)

Regards, K.

PS: Without further ado, whack your "friend" severely about the head and
shoulders with a clue stick.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Nils Kassube

Anthony Papillion wrote:
> Tonight, the laptop simply would not connect to the router. Other PC's
> were connected so I know the router is accepting connections. I am
> using the 192.168.1.X addressing scheme but for some reason this
> laptop is being assigned a public address and different subnet mask
> than the rest of my network. When I manually configured the interface
> using 'sudo ifconfig ath0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up' it
> looked like the if came up but there was no entry in my routers dhcp
> clients table and I still didn't have internet access.

For a WLAN the IP settings alone are not enough. Did you configure the
SSID and password for your wireless network?

Nils