Old 07-03-2008, 06:51 PM
"Robert Dailey"

Default Command-line speed test?

Hi,

I'm currently using Ubuntu Server and I wish to be able to test my upload/download internet bandwidth. On windows or any other OS with a GUI internet browser, I would normally do this by visiting www.speedtest.net. However, since I am not using a desktop OS, is there a command-line alternative?

One thought I had was maybe there's some command line program I can use to send a file to another server, and view the Kbps reading. Not sure if this would be a true measurement, though. Help is appreciated.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:21 PM
steve

On Thursday 03 July 2008 14:51:08 Robert Dailey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently using Ubuntu Server and I wish to be able to test
my
> upload/download internet bandwidth. On windows or any
other OS with a GUI
> internet browser, I would normally do this by visiting
www.speedtest.net.
> However, since I am not using a desktop OS, is there a
command-line
> alternative?
>
> One thought I had was maybe there's some command line
program I can use to
> send a file to another server, and view the Kbps reading. Not
sure if this
> would be a true measurement, though. Help is appreciated.

wget would give you an idea of download speed, just find a
decent size file to test on a site somewhere, get the link for it
and place wget in front of it in a terminal. as it downloads it will
give you the kbps.

---
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

Old 07-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Chris Jones

> One thought I had was maybe there's some command line program I can use
> to send a file to another server, and view the Kbps reading. Not sure if
> this would be a true measurement, though. Help is appreciated.

scp ? That gives you a measure of the bandwidth at the command line.
Just find some large file and transfer it to and from some remote server
(that has bandwidth at least as good as yours, otherwise you are testing
their bandwidth ...)

It reports in KB/s (or MB/s) i.w bytes whereas www.speedtest.net. uses
bits/s, so you will need to do a conversion to be able to compare the two.

Chris

Old 07-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Joe

Robert Dailey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently using Ubuntu Server and I wish to be able to test my
> upload/download internet bandwidth. On windows or any other OS with a
> GUI internet browser, I would normally do this by visiting
> www.speedtest.net <http://www.speedtest.net>. However, since I am not
> using a desktop OS, is there a command-line alternative?
>
> One thought I had was maybe there's some command line program I can use
> to send a file to another server, and view the Kbps reading. Not sure if
> this would be a true measurement, though. Help is appreciated.

Just use a text only browser like lynx or links2

Joe

Old 07-03-2008, 07:44 PM
"H.S."

Chris Jones wrote:
>> One thought I had was maybe there's some command line program I can use
>> to send a file to another server, and view the Kbps reading. Not sure if
>> this would be a true measurement, though. Help is appreciated.
>
> scp ? That gives you a measure of the bandwidth at the command line.

This may depend quite a bit on the machine on which it is being used
because it uses encryption, and encryption uses the CPU. Moreover, I
think one needs an account on the remote machine.

Best bet would be to download a file from a website using wget.

Getting the upload speed is still a problem though. For this, one needs
to be able to upload a file to a remote mechine.

->HS

Old 07-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Peter Garrett

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 13:51:08 -0500
"Robert Dailey" <rcdailey@gmail.com> wrote:

> One thought I had was maybe there's some command line program I can use to
> send a file to another server, and view the Kbps reading. Not sure if this
> would be a true measurement, though. Help is appreciated.

Install "iftop" .

It gives a graphical and numeric view of your down and up speeds in
"real time". You can choose to see IP numbers or let it make DNS
lookups as it runs, and you can change the units (Kbits, KBytes and so
on)

From "apt-cache show iftop" :

interface iftop does for network usage what top(1) does for CPU usage.
It listens to network traffic on a named interface and displays a table
of current bandwidth usage by pairs of hosts. Handy for answering the
question "Why is my Internet link so slow?".

Run it as root, or with sudo. You can also specify interfaces. For
eaxmple:

sudo iftop -BP -i eth0

--
Peter Garrett <peter.garrett@optusnet.com.au>

Old 07-03-2008, 08:14 PM
NoOp

On 07/03/2008 11:51 AM, Robert Dailey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently using Ubuntu Server and I wish to be able to test my
> upload/download internet bandwidth. On windows or any other OS with a GUI
> internet browser, I would normally do this by visiting www.speedtest.net.
> However, since I am not using a desktop OS, is there a command-line
> alternative?
>
> One thought I had was maybe there's some command line program I can use to
> send a file to another server, and view the Kbps reading. Not sure if this
> would be a true measurement, though. Help is appreciated.

You might find something of use here:

<http://www.ubuntugeek.com/bandwidth-monitoring-tools-for-ubuntu-users.html>

Old 07-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Chris Jones

H.S. wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
>>> One thought I had was maybe there's some command line program I can use
>>> to send a file to another server, and view the Kbps reading. Not sure if
>>> this would be a true measurement, though. Help is appreciated.
>> scp ? That gives you a measure of the bandwidth at the command line.
>
> This may depend quite a bit on the machine on which it is being used
> because it uses encryption, and encryption uses the CPU.

I doubt on any recent machine the CPU will saturate due to encryption
before the network bandwidth does (if it does, I doubt you have anything
to worry about bandwidth wise )

Actually, now I think about it compression might be an issue. If you
have it enabled and transfer a lossy file, it might suggest you have a
better connection than you do.

Moreover, I
> think one needs an account on the remote machine.

The OP seemed to suggest (to me at least) that he did.

> Best bet would be to download a file from a website using wget.
>
> Getting the upload speed is still a problem though. For this, one needs
> to be able to upload a file to a remote mechine.

Someone else suggested iftop. I hadn't heard of this before but seems
pretty useful.

Chris

Old 07-04-2008, 01:38 AM
"H.S."

Chris Jones wrote:

> I doubt on any recent machine the CPU will saturate due to encryption
> before the network bandwidth does (if it does, I doubt you have anything
> to worry about bandwidth wise )

Yup, I see what you mean, but "recent" can be pretty misleading. My post
was based on our experience with my brother's computer connected on our
LAN in our home. I run a Linux machine as a router (ppp0 to our LAN) and
when I transfered a file to/from his computer via rsync or scp, I could
get maybe around 7 MB/sec (Mega Bytes / sec) instead of around 11 MB/s
(theoretical upper limit is 100 Mb/s or 12.5 MB/s). For the life of me,
we couldn't find what was the bottleneck. I went each and every iptables
to see what was causing the problem without much luck.

Then I had a reason to install dnsmasq on the router machine. That
helped a bit and upped the speed to around 8 or 9 MB/s.

Then incidentally my brother replaced that computer a few months ago
with a new machine. Now, we are getting the expected speed of around
10.5~11.5 MB/s, via rsync or scp. This makes much much more sense.

The older machine was a 1.9 GHz Intel CPU with 512 MB of RAM. Not a
machine which one would call a slow machine as far as scp or ssh is
converned.

> Moreover, I
>> think one needs an account on the remote machine.
>
> The OP seemed to suggest (to me at least) that he did.

Yeah, I must have missed that then.

> Someone else suggested iftop. I hadn't heard of this before but seems
> pretty useful.

In that case, bmon and bwm are two additional examples to try.

Regards.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:28 AM
"Sandy Harris"

Chris Jones <jonesc@hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> I doubt on any recent machine the CPU will saturate due to encryption
> before the network bandwidth does (if it does, I doubt you have anything
> to worry about bandwidth wise )

You're right.

There's some fairly detailed data on encryption overheads at:
http://www.freeswan.org/freeswan_trees/freeswan-2.06/doc/performance.html#performance