Old 07-04-2008, 01:03 PM
"Mario Spinthiras"

Default Command-line speed test?

Command line speed test = iperf.

--
Warm Regards,
Mario A. Spinthiras
Blog: http://www.spinthiras.net
Mail: mspinthiras@gmail.com
Skype: smario125

Old 07-07-2008, 11:55 PM
"Robert Dailey"

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 8:03 AM, Mario Spinthiras <mspinthiras@gmail.com> wrote:
> Command line speed test = iperf.

Could you provide a usage example for iperf? Thanks.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:37 PM
"Robert Dailey"

Well, I can't use lynx to run a speed test, since I can't find any
reliable html-only speed test websites. Most of them are in flash or
java, which is annoying.

I can't use SCP since all of the computers I have access to (other
than my server) have a very much slower bandwidth, so I wouldn't be
able to truly stress test the bandwidth of my server.

I can't use iperf since that requires a server (faster than mine)
running an iperf server.

I am still pretty stuck on this. Can anyone provide more guidance?
Thanks for the help so far guys.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Schiz0

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Robert Dailey <rcdailey@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I can't use lynx to run a speed test, since I can't find any
> reliable html-only speed test websites. Most of them are in flash or
> java, which is annoying.
>
> I can't use SCP since all of the computers I have access to (other
> than my server) have a very much slower bandwidth, so I wouldn't be
> able to truly stress test the bandwidth of my server.
>
> I can't use iperf since that requires a server (faster than mine)
> running an iperf server.
>
> I am still pretty stuck on this. Can anyone provide more guidance?
> Thanks for the help so far guys.

Install a bittorrent client (rTorrent is very good). Get a popular
linux ISO torrent, or a OpenOffice torrent or something. Open that in
the client, then see what the download speed maxes out to.

Or just wget a large iso, like a Debian DVD or something. But I think
bittorrent would be better because you're not relying on one single
pipe to test your bandwidth (like a ftp/http transfer would use),
you're using many connections.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:34 PM
"Robert Dailey"

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Schiz0 <schiz0phrenic21@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Robert Dailey <rcdailey@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well, I can't use lynx to run a speed test, since I can't find any
>> reliable html-only speed test websites. Most of them are in flash or
>> java, which is annoying.
>>
>> I can't use SCP since all of the computers I have access to (other
>> than my server) have a very much slower bandwidth, so I wouldn't be
>> able to truly stress test the bandwidth of my server.
>>
>> I can't use iperf since that requires a server (faster than mine)
>> running an iperf server.
>>
>> I am still pretty stuck on this. Can anyone provide more guidance?
>> Thanks for the help so far guys.
>>

> Install a bittorrent client (rTorrent is very good). Get a popular
> linux ISO torrent, or a OpenOffice torrent or something. Open that in
> the client, then see what the download speed maxes out to.
>
> Or just wget a large iso, like a Debian DVD or something. But I think
> bittorrent would be better because you're not relying on one single
> pipe to test your bandwidth (like a ftp/http transfer would use),
> you're using many connections.

This covers the download bandwidth test, but I'm interested in testing
upstream as well. I haven't heard any decent solutions to testing
upstream bandwidth.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:35 PM
NoOp

On 07/08/2008 11:34 AM, Robert Dailey wrote:

> This covers the download bandwidth test, but I'm interested in testing
> upstream as well. I haven't heard any decent solutions to testing
> upstream bandwidth.

Maybe this will do:
<http://www.hackosis.com/index.php/2008/06/05/linux-automated-ftp-speed-test-bash-script/>

Old 07-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Robert Holtzman

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, Schiz0 wrote:

> Install a bittorrent client (rTorrent is very good). Get a popular
> linux ISO torrent, or a OpenOffice torrent or something. Open that in
> the client, then see what the download speed maxes out to.

Except that some ISP's throttle bittorrent downloads assuming they're
illegal music or video transfers.

--
Bob Holtzman
A fair fight is the result of poor planning.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:45 AM
David Curtis

Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, Schiz0 wrote:
>
>> Install a bittorrent client (rTorrent is very good). Get a popular
>> linux ISO torrent, or a OpenOffice torrent or something. Open that in
>> the client, then see what the download speed maxes out to.
>
> Except that some ISP's throttle bittorrent downloads assuming they're
> illegal music or video transfers.

True, if you have residential or non-dedicated business broadband. Not
true, if your paying for full on dedicated bandwidth. Of course it would
depend on your Service Level Agreement.