Old 07-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Kenneth Jacker

Default Remote Access to CUPS Server

I am trying to connect via my browser to port 631/ipp on my office
machine (8.04) from my home machine (7.10). Accessing via
'localhost' works fine ...

/var/log/cups/error_log shows this message:

Unable to bind socket for address <ipaddr of home machine>:631

And this is in /var/local/messages:

kernel: audit(1215016128.012:8):
type=1502 operation="inode_permission" requested_mask="a::"
denied_mask="a::" name="/dev/tty" pid=23860
profile="/usr/sbin/cupsd" namespace="default"

Doing some searching suggest that 'apparmour' might be part of the
problem. I tired "aa-complain cupsd" as suggested by some postings,
but that didn't help.

I can post part of the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file if necessary, but
thought I'd first see if anyone else has successfully done this.

CUPS is nice, but I have always had difficulties configuring it for
remote access.

Thanks for any ideas,
--
Prof Kenneth H Jacker khj@cs.appstate.edu
Computer Science Dept www.cs.appstate.edu/~khj

Old 07-02-2008, 05:42 PM
steve

On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 12:52 -0400, Kenneth Jacker wrote:
> I am trying to connect via my browser to port 631/ipp on my office
> machine (8.04) from my home machine (7.10). Accessing via
> 'localhost' works fine ...
>
> /var/log/cups/error_log shows this message:
>
> Unable to bind socket for address <ipaddr of home machine>:631
>
> And this is in /var/local/messages:
>
> kernel: audit(1215016128.012:8):
> type=1502 operation="inode_permission" requested_mask="a::"
> denied_mask="a::" name="/dev/tty" pid=23860
> profile="/usr/sbin/cupsd" namespace="default"
>
> Doing some searching suggest that 'apparmour' might be part of the
> problem. I tired "aa-complain cupsd" as suggested by some postings,
> but that didn't help.
>

> I can post part of the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file if necessary, but
> thought I'd first see if anyone else has successfully done this.
>
> CUPS is nice, but I have always had difficulties configuring it for
> remote access.
>
> Thanks for any ideas,
> --
> Prof Kenneth H Jacker khj@cs.appstate.edu
> Computer Science Dept www.cs.appstate.edu/~khj
> Appalachian State Univ
> Boone, NC 28608 USA

theres some useful items in the configuration file you may want to look
at, like this snip from mine...

# Show troubleshooting information in error_log.
LogLevel debug
SystemGroup lpadmin
# Allow remote access
Port 631
# Enable printer sharing and shared printers.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow all
BrowseAddress all
DefaultAuthType Basic

good luck

SR

Old 07-02-2008, 08:17 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Kenneth Jacker <khj@cs.appstate.edu> wrote:
> I am trying to connect via my browser to port 631/ipp on my office
> machine (8.04) from my home machine (7.10). Accessing via
> 'localhost' works fine ...

IIRC, 8.04 cupsd.conf has 'Listen localhost:631' as default
Change that to 'Listen 631' and you should be able to see the CUPS page.

You may need to do further changes to be able to change things - see
the <admin> sections...

Brian

Old 07-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Kenneth Jacker

sfre> # Show troubleshooting information in error_log.
sfre> LogLevel debug
sfre> SystemGroup lpadmin
sfre> # Allow remote access
sfre> Port 631

I have tried the above as well as other variations including
"Listen *.631", but it still doesn't allow access.

And I continue to see these types of errors written in /var/log/messages:

audit(1215294130.360:3): type=1502 operation="inode_permission"
requested_mask="a::" denied_mask="a::" name="/dev/tty" pid=20249
profile="/usr/sbin/cupsd" namespace="default"

Something's not right!

-Kenneth

Old 07-06-2008, 05:50 PM
"Chris Mohler"

On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 5:18 PM, Kenneth Jacker <khj@cs.appstate.edu> wrote:
> sfre> # Show troubleshooting information in error_log.
> sfre> LogLevel debug
> sfre> SystemGroup lpadmin
> sfre> # Allow remote access
> sfre> Port 631
>
> I have tried the above as well as other variations including
> "Listen *.631", but it still doesn't allow access.

Make sure you are restarting CUPS after making changes to cupsd.conf.

Also, try doing 'sudo iptables -F' on the server machine. If that
fixes the problem, then you need to add a firewall rule to allow port
631.

I don't think that error message is related - I think that's a
separate issue with CUPS attempting to grab/scan the serial port(s).

Chris

Old 07-09-2008, 01:25 PM
Kenneth Jacker

I finally figured it out.

Once I changed the "Allow" argument to a *numeric* IP address, it worked!

What I don't understand is the online documentation states:

<Location /path>
Allow from All
Allow from None
==> Allow from *.domain.com
==> Allow from .domain.com
==> Allow from host.domain.com
Allow from nnn.*
Allow from nnn.nnn.*
Allow from nnn.nnn.nnn.*
Allow from nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
Allow from nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn/mm
Allow from nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn/mmm.mmm.mmm.mmm
Allow from xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx
Allow from @LOCAL
Allow from @IF(name)
</Location>

Because of that, I had originally used the FQDN.

Anyway, I can now proceed to configure some remote printers.

Thanks for everyone's help!

-Kenneth