Old 12-04-2007, 12:53 AM
"Jimmy Wu"

Default CD-R/W not working

Hi,

I have a relatively fresh installation of Xubuntu 7.10, and I was trying to burn my home directories to an old CD-RW that has stuff on it that I no longer wants.* When I pop the CD into my CD-RW drive, it mounts normally, and I can see all the stuff on it.* However, Brasero doesn't, and tells me there is no disk when I try to erase or burn.*

What could be wrong?* (Please excuse my noobish-ness - first attempt at working with any sort of CD with Linux)
Thanks in advance,

Jimmy
--
Registered Linux User #454138

Old 12-04-2007, 01:16 AM
James Takac

On Tuesday 04 December 2007 11:53:30 Jimmy Wu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a relatively fresh installation of Xubuntu 7.10, and I was trying to
> burn my home directories to an old CD-RW that has stuff on it that I no
> longer wants. When I pop the CD into my CD-RW drive, it mounts normally,
> and I can see all the stuff on it. However, Brasero doesn't, and tells me
> there is no disk when I try to erase or burn.
>
> What could be wrong? (Please excuse my noobish-ness - first attempt at
> working with any sort of CD with Linux)
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jimmy

Hi Jimmy

Have you installed cdrtools and udftools I think they are

James

Old 12-05-2007, 09:07 PM
"Jimmy Wu"

On Dec 3, 2007 9:16 PM, James Takac <p3nndrag0n@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tuesday 04 December 2007 11:53:30 Jimmy Wu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a relatively fresh installation of Xubuntu 7.10, and I was trying to
> burn my home directories to an old CD-RW that has stuff on it that I no

> longer wants. *When I pop the CD into my CD-RW drive, it mounts normally,
> and I can see all the stuff on it. *However, Brasero doesn't, and tells me
> there is no disk when I try to erase or burn.

> What could be wrong? *(Please excuse my noobish-ness - first attempt at
> working with any sort of CD with Linux)
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jimmy

Hi Jimmy

Have you installed cdrtools and udftools I think they are

James

Hi James,

I looked for cdrtools and the package doesn't seem to exist.* I installed udftools, but that didn't change anything.* I went looking around for manuals and managed to get a CD burned with mkisofs and cdrecord, but I still would like to know what's wrong with brasero.* It shows the name of the CD-R/W drive (HP 9300), but says no disc even when there is clearly a disk inside that even gets mounted properly by the OS.*

Thanks,

Jimmy
--
Registered Linux User #454138

Old 12-06-2007, 12:09 AM
James Takac

On Thursday 06 December 2007 08:07:43 Jimmy Wu wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2007 9:16 PM, James Takac <p3nndrag0n@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 04 December 2007 11:53:30 Jimmy Wu wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a relatively fresh installation of Xubuntu 7.10, and I was
> > > trying

> > > burn my home directories to an old CD-RW that has stuff on it that I no
> > > longer wants. When I pop the CD into my CD-RW drive, it mounts
> >
> > normally,
> >
> > > and I can see all the stuff on it. However, Brasero doesn't, and tells
> >
> > me
> >
> > > there is no disk when I try to erase or burn.
> > >
> > > What could be wrong? (Please excuse my noobish-ness - first attempt at
> > > working with any sort of CD with Linux)
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > Jimmy
> >
> > Hi Jimmy
> >
> > Have you installed cdrtools and udftools I think they are
> >
> > James
> >
> > --
>
> Hi James,
>
> I looked for cdrtools and the package doesn't seem to exist. I installed
> udftools, but that didn't change anything. I went looking around for
> manuals and managed to get a CD burned with mkisofs and cdrecord, but I
> still would like to know what's wrong with brasero. It shows the name of
> the CD-R/W drive (HP 9300), but says no disc even when there is clearly a
> disk inside that even gets mounted properly by the OS.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jimmy

Hi Jimmy

Seems it may have been changed to cdrskin. Check also for cdrdao. The other
possibility is that brasero might not like the drive. May be worth trying
k3b. I think I had probs with brasero but not sure as it's been a while since
I used that

James

Old 12-06-2007, 07:15 PM
"Jimmy Wu"

On Dec 5, 2007 8:09 PM, James Takac <p3nndrag0n@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thursday 06 December 2007 08:07:43 Jimmy Wu wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2007 9:16 PM, James Takac <p3nndrag0n@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 04 December 2007 11:53:30 Jimmy Wu wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a relatively fresh installation of Xubuntu 7.10, and I was
> > > trying

> > > burn my home directories to an old CD-RW that has stuff on it that I no

> > > longer wants. *When I pop the CD into my CD-RW drive, it mounts
> >
> > normally,
> >
> > > and I can see all the stuff on it. *However, Brasero doesn't, and tells

> > me
> >
> > > there is no disk when I try to erase or burn.
> > >
> > > What could be wrong? *(Please excuse my noobish-ness - first attempt at
> > > working with any sort of CD with Linux)

> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > Jimmy
> >
> > Hi Jimmy
> >
> > Have you installed cdrtools and udftools I think they are
> >

> > James
> >
> > --
>
> Hi James,
>
> I looked for cdrtools and the package doesn't seem to exist. *I installed

> udftools, but that didn't change anything. *I went looking around for
> manuals and managed to get a CD burned with mkisofs and cdrecord, but I
> still would like to know what's wrong with brasero. *It shows the name of

> the CD-R/W drive (HP 9300), but says no disc even when there is clearly a
> disk inside that even gets mounted properly by the OS.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jimmy

Hi Jimmy

Seems it may have been changed to cdrskin. Check also for cdrdao. The other
possibility is that brasero might not like the drive. May be worth trying
k3b. I think I had probs with brasero but not sure as it's been a while since

I used that

James

All right - I will try those suggestions when I get the chance.* Just out of curiosity, isn't brasero a GNOME application?* If so, what is it doing as the default cd burning application in Xubuntu?* And I see no reason why brasero would need extra packages when it seems that my system can already burn CD's.*

I think I might go and install xfburn, which was what used to be the default in xubuntu (IIRC)
Thanks again,

Jimmy
--
Registered Linux User #454138

Old 12-06-2007, 07:18 PM
"Jimmy Wu"

On Thursday 06 December 2007 08:07:43 Jimmy Wu wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2007 9:16 PM, James Takac <p3nndrag0n@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 04 December 2007 11:53:30 Jimmy Wu wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a relatively fresh installation of Xubuntu 7.10, and I was
> > > trying

> > > burn my home directories to an old CD-RW that has stuff on it that I no

> > > longer wants. *When I pop the CD into my CD-RW drive, it mounts
> >
> > normally,
> >
> > > and I can see all the stuff on it. *However, Brasero doesn't, and tells

> > me
> >
> > > there is no disk when I try to erase or burn.
> > >
> > > What could be wrong? *(Please excuse my noobish-ness - first attempt at
> > > working with any sort of CD with Linux)

> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > Jimmy
> >
> > Hi Jimmy
> >
> > Have you installed cdrtools and udftools I think they are

> > James
> >
> > --
>
> Hi James,
>
> I looked for cdrtools and the package doesn't seem to exist. *I installed

> udftools, but that didn't change anything. *I went looking around for
> manuals and managed to get a CD burned with mkisofs and cdrecord, but I
> still would like to know what's wrong with brasero. *It shows the name of

> the CD-R/W drive (HP 9300), but says no disc even when there is clearly a
> disk inside that even gets mounted properly by the OS.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jimmy

Hi Jimmy

Seems it may have been changed to cdrskin. Check also for cdrdao. The other
possibility is that brasero might not like the drive. May be worth trying
k3b. I think I had probs with brasero but not sure as it's been a while since

I used that

James

All right - I will try those suggestions when I get the chance.* Just out of curiosity, isn't brasero a GNOME application?* If so, what is it doing as the default cd burning application in Xubuntu?* And I see no reason why brasero would need extra packages when it seems that my system can already burn CD's.*

I think I might go and install xfburn, which was what used to be the default in xubuntu (IIRC)
Thanks again,

Jimmy
--
Registered Linux User #454138

oops, sent mail using the wrong from address and the message got bounced.* Here it is again (above)

Also, k3b has KDE dependencies, right?* I think I'm going to stay away from that (avoid pulling in excess dependencies and keep a minimal system for performance considerations)

Jimmy
--
Registered Linux User #454138

Old 12-06-2007, 11:09 PM
James Takac

On Friday 07 December 2007 06:18:38 Jimmy Wu wrote:
> On Dec 6, 2007 3:15 PM, Jimmy Wu <jimmywu013@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I no

> > > tells

> > > attempt at

> > > installed

> > > of

> > > clearly a

> > > Hi Jimmy
> > >
> > > Seems it may have been changed to cdrskin. Check also for cdrdao. The
> > > other
> > > possibility is that brasero might not like the drive. May be worth
> > > trying
> > > k3b. I think I had probs with brasero but not sure as it's been a while
> > > since
> > > I used that
> > >
> > > James
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > All right - I will try those suggestions when I get the chance. Just out
> > of curiosity, isn't brasero a GNOME application? If so, what is it doing
> > as the default cd burning application in Xubuntu? And I see no reason
> > why brasero would need extra packages when it seems that my system can
> > already burn CD's.
> > I think I might go and install xfburn, which was what used to be the
> > default in xubuntu (IIRC)
> >
> > Thanks again,
> >

> > Jimmy
> > --
> > Registered Linux User #454138
>
> oops, sent mail using the wrong from address and the message got bounced.
> Here it is again (above)
>
> Also, k3b has KDE dependencies, right? I think I'm going to stay away from
> that (avoid pulling in excess dependencies and keep a minimal system for
> performance considerations)
>
> Jimmy

Hi Jimmy

I believe it is. My understanding is that there's been some headway towards
making programs from Gnome or KDE work in the other environments more
readily. So a good number of programs should work in either

James

Old 12-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Caleb Marcus

All right - I will try those suggestions when I get the chance.* Just out of curiosity, isn't brasero a GNOME application?* If so, what is it doing as the default cd burning application in Xubuntu?* And I see no reason why brasero would need extra packages when it seems that my system can already burn CD's.*

I think I might go and install xfburn, which was what used to be the default in xubuntu (IIRC)

Thanks again,

Jimmy

--

Registered Linux User #454138

Gnome uses the same widget toolkit as XFCE (GTK+), so apps that are often designated as "Gnome apps" are often really just "GTK apps" and work fine on either one, without any environment-specific packages. Of course, some "Gnome apps" are really in fact Gnome apps and depend on Gnome things like gconf. However, if you install a Gnome app like that on XFCE, it's really only a few extra dependencies in most case.