Old 12-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Willis

Default Pointer Scheme

For Gutsy, is there an alternative to the standard pointer theme? And
if so and it is not accessible by one of the graphical down loaders, how
to install it, please.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:55 AM
"Danny Colligan"

System->Preferences->Appearance is the place it sounds like you want.
If you want to change the mouse cursor icon (I think this is what you
are asking about), go to the Theme tab and click on the Customize
button. In that dialog, go to the pointer tab.

Danny Colligan

Old 12-04-2007, 02:32 AM
Willis

Danny Colligan wrote:
> System->Preferences->Appearance is the place it sounds like you want.
> If you want to change the mouse cursor icon (I think this is what you
> are asking about), go to the Theme tab and click on the Customize
> button. In that dialog, go to the pointer tab.
>
> Danny Colligan

Actually I am running v.7.10 and I have installed a number of cursor
themes with Adept Manager and when I go to System>Preferences> Cursor
Selection I see them displayed but if I Dbl Clk one, highlight one and
click Install Theme or click Go To Theme Folder, nothing happens. I
can't seem to even enlarge the pointers I have, the Human looking ones.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:41 AM
Caleb Marcus

You can get them at http://gnome-look.org (look under X11 mouse pointers.) You put them in your ~/.icons directory, which you can get to by opening your home folder and going to View>Show Hidden Files. Then, you'll be able to see and select them in System>Preferences>Mouse

Old 12-04-2007, 03:27 AM
Willis

Caleb Marcus wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 19:11 -0600, Willis wrote:
>> For Gutsy, is there an alternative to the standard pointer theme? And
>> if so and it is not accessible by one of the graphical down loaders, how
>> to install it, please.
>>

> You can get them at http://gnome-look.org (look under X11 mouse
> pointers.) You put them in your ~/.icons directory, which you can get
> to by opening your home folder and going to View>Show Hidden Files.
> Then, you'll be able to see and select them in System>Preferences>Mouse
I have the x11 mouse pointers installed through Adept Manager and they
actually do not appear at that location but they appear at
System>Preferences>Cursor Selection but I am totally unable to change to
any of them there. I tried Dbl Clkng, Select and click Install Theme
and select and click To Theme Folder, all to no avail. I have even
tried rebooting after doing those steps with no results. I v.7.04 it
worked perfectly.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:28 AM
Willis

Caleb Marcus wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 19:11 -0600, Willis wrote:
>> For Gutsy, is there an alternative to the standard pointer theme? And
>> if so and it is not accessible by one of the graphical down loaders, how
>> to install it, please.
>>

> You can get them at http://gnome-look.org (look under X11 mouse
> pointers.) You put them in your ~/.icons directory, which you can get
> to by opening your home folder and going to View>Show Hidden Files.
> Then, you'll be able to see and select them in System>Preferences>Mouse
Oh yes, thank you for taking a stab at it.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:49 AM
Caleb Marcus

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 22:28 -0600, Willis wrote:

Caleb Marcus wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 19:11 -0600, Willis wrote:
>> For Gutsy, is there an alternative to the standard pointer theme? And
>> if so and it is not accessible by one of the graphical down loaders, how
>> to install it, please.
>>

> You can get them at http://gnome-look.org (look under X11 mouse
> pointers.) You put them in your ~/.icons directory, which you can get
> to by opening your home folder and going to View>Show Hidden Files.
> Then, you'll be able to see and select them in System>Preferences>Mouse
Oh yes, thank you for taking a stab at it.

You need to extract the contents of the archive before you put it in ~/.icons

Old 12-04-2007, 04:27 AM
Willis

Caleb Marcus wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 22:28 -0600, Willis wrote:
>> Caleb Marcus wrote:
>> >>

>> > You can get them at http://gnome-look.org (look under X11 mouse
>> > pointers.) You put them in your ~/.icons directory, which you can get
>> > to by opening your home folder and going to View>Show Hidden Files.
>> > Then, you'll be able to see and select them in System>Preferences>Mouse
>> Oh yes, thank you for taking a stab at it.
>>

> You need to extract the contents of the archive before you put it in
> ~/.icons
Al right, I downloaded Faber basic and placed it in the Home/.icon
directory. Now, in addition to the other fifty or so I see Faber Basic,
however, at the Mouse Preferences they are still not there but Faber
Basic does appear in the Cursor Theme Graphical interface but it still
cannot be applied.

Bill Taylor
Killer Spade 806
CE 1969

Old 12-04-2007, 04:44 AM
niel

On Tuesday 04 December 2007 06.27.40 Willis wrote:
> Caleb Marcus wrote:

> >> Oh yes, thank you for taking a stab at it.
> >
> > You need to extract the contents of the archive before you put it in
> > ~/.icons
>
> Al right, I downloaded Faber basic and placed it in the Home/.icon
> directory. Now, in addition to the other fifty or so I see Faber Basic,
> however, at the Mouse Preferences they are still not there but Faber
> Basic does appear in the Cursor Theme Graphical interface but it still
> cannot be applied.
>
> Bill Taylor
> Killer Spade 806
> CE 1969

~/.icons is /home/user/.icons - nothing is called Home/.icon in this context?

Old 12-04-2007, 05:03 AM
Willis

niel wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 December 2007 06.27.40 Willis wrote:
>
>> Caleb Marcus wrote:

>>> You need to extract the contents of the archive before you put it in
>>> ~/.icons
>>>
>> Al right, I downloaded Faber basic and placed it in the Home/.icon
>> directory. Now, in addition to the other fifty or so I see Faber Basic,
>> however, at the Mouse Preferences they are still not there but Faber
>> Basic does appear in the Cursor Theme Graphical interface but it still
>> cannot be applied.
>>
>> Bill Taylor
>> Killer Spade 806
>> CE 1969
>>

> ~/.icons is /home/user/.icons - nothing is called Home/.icon in this context?

I'm sorry that you took offense because of my incorrect syntax. the h is
lower case in the home directory and the problem is still the same.