Old 06-28-2008, 06:49 PM
Karl Larsen

Default How to list directory size?

Robert Dailey wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Corey Bettenhausen <corey@31415926535.com>
> wrote:
>

> When I mentioned "recursive" in my original post, I was referring to the
> math- The math that calculates the size of the folder should be recursive,
> in that it will search the directory tree for all files under the folder in
> question and add their sizes together to form the final directory size. The
> display routine itself should *NOT* be recursive, as I only care to see the
> size of a specific folder and NOT its contents.
>
> Well if you know what the above means, and I do not, it could mean that $ du is not what this guy wants. Maybe he wants $df or something not avalable like $dy :-)
Karl

Also your on Linux now and folders are called directories. Like
folders on Windows were directories in DOS.

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 06-28-2008, 08:14 PM
Jonathan Hirschman

Robert Dailey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently using Ubuntu Server 8. Is there a way to use the 'ls'
> command to display the size of a directory? That is, the size should be
> the added size of the contents of files and other subdirectories
> (recursive).

Try this:

du -sh dir_name

replace dir_name with the name of your directory You may want to look
at other options in the manpage.

jh