Old 12-03-2007, 06:53 PM
"Ben Edwards"

Default vmware machine will not power up after upgrade to gutsy

When I try to powe up my virtual machine from vmware I get the
following message.

Unable to change virtual machine power state: The process exited with an error:
End of error message.

This is after an upgrade to Gutsy.

Any ideas?
Ben
--
Ben Edwards - Bristol, UK
http://www.flickr.com/photos/funkytwig - have a look at my pics

Old 12-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Monday 03 December 2007, Ben Edwards wrote:
> When I try to powe up my virtual machine from vmware I get the
> following message.
>
> Unable to change virtual machine power state: The process exited with an
> error: End of error message.
>
> This is after an upgrade to Gutsy.
>
> Any ideas?
> Ben

VMWare usually involves recompiling some modules when changing kernels.

I don't know where you got your VMware.... if from Gutsey, then I don't know
what the problem could be.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:14 AM
John French

On Monday 03 December 2007, Bruce Marshall wrote:

|On Monday 03 December 2007, Ben Edwards wrote:
|> When I try to powe up my virtual machine from vmware I get the
|> following message.
|>
|> Unable to change virtual machine power state: The process exited with an
|> error: End of error message.
|>
|> This is after an upgrade to Gutsy.
|>
|> Any ideas?
|> Ben

|VMWare usually involves recompiling some modules when changing kernels.

|I don't know where you got your VMware.... if from Gutsey, then I
|don't know
|what the problem could be.

I think the problem is that VMware Server hasn't been included with
Gutsy. I enquired a while back and was told the partners repo wasn't in
sync yet, and soon would be. It still isn't. I am still on Feisty, and
waiting !

John

Old 12-04-2007, 02:57 PM

> |On Monday 03 December 2007, Ben Edwards wrote:
> |> When I try to powe up my virtual machine from vmware I get the
> |> following message.
> |>
> |> Unable to change virtual machine power state: The process exited with an
> |> error: End of error message.
> |>
> |> This is after an upgrade to Gutsy.
>
> I think the problem is that VMware Server hasn't been included with
> Gutsy. I enquired a while back and was told the partners repo wasn't in
> sync yet, and soon would be. It still isn't. I am still on Feisty, and
> waiting !

Running vmware-config.pl with "sudo perl vmware-config.pl" *might*
recompile the right stuff.

You'll need a compiler ("sudo apt-get install gcc") installed for this
to work.

Alternately, vmware's install script is relatively non-scary. You can
download vmware server here: http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

Note: you might want to wait until somebody else confirms the above,
or do some more research before trying my fix. I installed vmware
from scratch on a fresh Gusty install, and it went very smoothly, but
I'm not sure how the vmware install scripts will interact with an old
Feisty package.

--
~PeteVG

READ CAREFULLY. By reading this email, you agree, on behalf of your
employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from
any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service,
shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure,
non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I
have entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents
and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and
privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to
release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.