Old 11-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Alan Cox

Default unsubscribe

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:22:01 +1030
Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 16:36 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > aussie aussie aussie
> > oy oy oy
>
> I never head that childish chant before until we had some soldiers doing
> some sort of rescue mission overseas. It's not a part of *our* culture.

Its a very old part of Australian culture, one that came over with
'cousin Jack' (the tin miners from Cornwall). So old nobody is entirely
sure of its origin although the most credible one seems to be from Oggie
(Kernowek: Hoggan) for a Cornish Pastie (Oggie oggie oggie! being shouted
down a mine to indicate lunch arriving).

Somewhere along the way someone turned it from "Oggie" into "Aussie"
for .au spots [ab]use.

Alan

Old 11-29-2007, 11:17 AM
Tim

Craig White:
>>> aussie aussie aussie
>>> oy oy oy

Tim:
>> I never head that childish chant before until we had some soldiers doing
>> some sort of rescue mission overseas. It's not a part of *our* culture.

Alan Cox:
> Its a very old part of Australian culture, one that came over with
> 'cousin Jack' (the tin miners from Cornwall). So old nobody is entirely
> sure of its origin although the most credible one seems to be from Oggie
> (Kernowek: Hoggan) for a Cornish Pastie (Oggie oggie oggie! being shouted
> down a mine to indicate lunch arriving).

Must be regional then, I've *NEVER* heard it before then, in South
Australia.

... What's that skip? He's broken a leg? You fly the chopper and I'll
drive over with the first aid kit...

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:32 AM