Old 03-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Pastor JW

Default unsubscribe

On Tuesday 16 March 2010 11:39:12 pm Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:09:32PM +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> > Didn't we just got through something like this?
> >
> > Why can't people just read what is at the bottom of all emails from this
> > list?
>
> From what I understand, not all MUAs show the footer.

True, but the instruction line has appeared several times in the body of a
message from helpful person. The problem here is the fellow seemed to have
found his was to subscribe; unsubscribing is done on the exact same page. It
takes very little intelligence to do either one, but several people
apparently do not mind showing their lack to the world!

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403

Old 03-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Steve Flynn

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Pastor JW
<pastor_jw@the-inner-circle.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 March 2010 11:39:12 pm Robert Holtzman wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:09:32PM +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> > Didn't we just got through something like this?
>> >
>> > Why can't people just read what is at the bottom of all emails from this
>> > list?
>>
>> From what I understand, not all MUAs show the footer.
>
> True, but the instruction line has appeared several times in the body of a
> message from helpful person. * The problem here is the fellow seemed to have
> found his was to subscribe; unsubscribing is done on the exact same page. *It
> takes very little intelligence to do either one, but several people
> apparently do not mind showing their lack to the world!

It's a fair be thtat if he's tired of readign this mailing list and
wants to unsubscribe, he's not reading any of the mail. If he ignore
the personal mail from Mr. Wizard then there's not much else we can
do.

I've been dumping "unsubscribe" "unsuscribe" and any other derivations
of spelling which actually do make it to me straight into the bin for
about 4 years now.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Old 03-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Dave Howorth

Steve Flynn wrote:
> It's a fair be thtat if he's tired of readign this mailing list and
> wants to unsubscribe, he's not reading any of the mail. If he ignore
> the personal mail from Mr. Wizard then there's not much else we can
> do.

I think it's also fair to say that the default mailman page doesn't make
it very clear how to unsubscribe. There's no bold heading and/or button,
you have to read the text carefully and follow the instructions blindly
to the next page. Which again is asking for more thought than a
disinterested person may be inclined to put in.

Cheers, Dave

Old 03-17-2010, 10:55 PM
Christopher Chan

On Wednesday, March 17, 2010 11:07 PM, Pastor JW wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 March 2010 11:39:12 pm Robert Holtzman wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:09:32PM +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
>>> Didn't we just got through something like this?
>>>
>>> Why can't people just read what is at the bottom of all emails from this
>>> list?
>>
>> From what I understand, not all MUAs show the footer.
>
> True, but the instruction line has appeared several times in the body of a
> message from helpful person. The problem here is the fellow seemed to have
> found his was to subscribe; unsubscribing is done on the exact same page. It
> takes very little intelligence to do either one, but several people
> apparently do not mind showing their lack to the world!

Maybe it is the lack of exercise they give their brain that is the problem.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Fajar Priyanto

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 7:55 AM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> [...]

Maybe it's a habit from a long time ago when there used to be mailing
lists "manually maintained" by moderators.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:04 AM
Mike McMullin

On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 07:53 -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 14:45:38 +0800
> Christopher Chan <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

> > > From what I understand, not all MUAs show the footer.
> > >

> > Amedee did helpfully include it in the body in his email...
> >
> Thinking that perhaps the OP isn't actually reading list mail I have
> sent him a personal mail instruction for unsubscribing.
>
> With luck he will read it and use it.

Good thinking, I also had that thought.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:46 AM
kirk

Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 7:55 AM, Christopher Chan
> <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

> Why can't people just read what is at the bottom of all emails from this
> list?

Possibly. Though it could also be a function of who Ubuntu is being
aimed at. Ubuntu is, among other things, marketed as being every bit as
easy as Windows. So we are getting people who level of computer
sophistication is such that they probably wouldn't even consider looking
at something like Fedora, or Debian, but feel safe trying out Ubuntu.
I'm just wondering how hard it could possibly be to get someone to fill
in as a Moderator or list-owner. I can't be the only one with experience
on this list.

Kirk

Old 05-04-2010, 06:23 AM
Julien Gormotte