Old 01-30-2009, 04:28 PM
"Bob Hoffman"

Default unsubscribe

> > Now when there is a footer added that says to unsubscribe, send a
> > message to a specified address, it can be frustrating. But
> I guess it
> > works, a list manager will probably remove the poster.

> > Who cares about the headers.... every single message from the list
> > has a footer appended to it with the information about the list.
> > Click on the link and it tells you how to unsubscribe.

Just to let you all know I am not crazy..
Unless it is written in the message, I do not receive appended footers.

Here is a pick of the original of this message I am replying too
http://www.politicalgateway.com/allimages/untitled.jpg

No footer. Perhaps it is just a setting on the mailing list that I disabled?

Old 01-30-2009, 05:22 PM
Scott Silva

on 1-30-2009 9:17 AM Bob Hoffman spake the following:
>> Bob Hoffman wrote:
>>> But I never get any footers.

>> Looks like a footer to me...
>>
>> --
>> Bowie
>

> Again, My mails do not have that footer unless someone specifically adds
> them (like you just did). But it is not a footer if you add it to your
> message.
>
> So, maybe my settings do not add it, but not one mail ever has some system
> footer.
> Yours may get them, but mine have never gotten them.
I think it is more likely that your client hides them, unless the message gets
forwarded or replied to by a client that doesn't.
Maybe so, maybe not... But this thread has gone on long enough. If you want to
keep sword-fighting, maybe off list would be better?

Pretty please!

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 02-01-2009, 03:18 AM
"Frank Freeman"

unsubscribe

Old 02-01-2009, 03:23 AM
Harry Holt

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 11:18 PM, Frank Freeman <ffreeman@digitalns.net> wrote:

unsubscribe

Hmph.* You can't get out that easy.

Please Note: In some later model unsubscribe kits, the "OFF" indicator has
been replaced by "POWER-UP STANDBY ENABLE". Accordingly the "ON" indicator

has been replaced by the much clearer, "POWER-DOWN STANDBY ENABLE". Contact
your internet service provider for a list of affected model numbers. An
"ON-OFF" retrofit panel kit is available for those who have difficulty with

the new and much clearer labeling.
First, ask your Internet Provider to mail you an Unsubscribing Kit. Then follow these
directions. The kit will most likely be the standard no-fault type. Depending on

requirements, System A and/or System B can be used. When operating System A, depress
lever and a plastic dalkron unsubscriber will be dispensed through the slot
immediately underneath. When you have fastened the adhesive lip, attach connection

marked by the large "X" outlet hose. Twist the silver- coloured ring one inch below
the connection point until you feel it lock.

The kit is now ready for use. The Cin-Eliminator is activated by the small switch on

the lip. When securing, twist the ring back to its initial condition, so that the two
orange lines meet. Disconnect. Place the dalkron unsubscriber in the vacuum receptacle
to the rear. Activate by pressing the blue button.

The controls for System B are located on the opposite side. The red release switch
places the Cin-Eliminator into position; it can be adjusted manually up or down by
pressing the blue manual release button. The opening is self- adjusting. To secure

after use, press the green button, which simultaneously activates the evaporator and
returns the Cin-Eliminator to its storage position.

You may log off if the green exit light is on over the evaporator . If the red light

is illuminated, one of the Cin-Eliminator requirements has not been properly
implemented. Press the "List Guy" call button on the right of the evaporator . He will
secure all facilities from his control panel.

To use the Auto-Unsub, first undress and place all your clothes in the clothes rack.
Put on the velcro slippers located in the cabinet immediately below. Enter the shower,
taking the entire kit with you. On the control panel to your upper right upon entering

you will see a "Shower seal" button. Press to activate. A green light will then be
illuminated immediately below. On the intensity knob, select the desired setting. Now
depress the Auto-Unsub activation lever. Bathe normally.

The Auto-Unsub will automatically go off after three minutes unless you activate the
"Manual off" override switch by flipping it up. When you are ready to leave, press the
blue "Shower seal" release button. The door will open and you may leave. Please remove

the velcro slippers and place them in their container.

If you prefer the ultrasonic log-off mode, press the indicated blue button. When the
twin panels open, pull forward by rings A & B. The knob to the left, just below the

blue light, has three settings, low, medium or high. For normal use, the medium
setting is suggested.

After these settings have been made, you can activate the device by switching to the
"ON" position the clearly marked red switch. If during the unsubscribing operation,

you wish to change the settings, place the "manual off" override switch in the "OFF"
position. You may now make the change and repeat the cycle. When the green exit light
goes on, you may log off and have lunch. Please close the door behind you.

Harry Holt, PMP

"Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us."
*- Jerry Garcia

*P.S.* I'll go ahead and apologize now.* It won't happen again.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Lindsay Haisley

On Sat, 2009-01-31 at 23:23 -0500, Harry Holt wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 11:18 PM, Frank Freeman
> <ffreeman@digitalns.net> wrote:
> unsubscribe
>
> Hmph. You can't get out that easy.
>
> Please Note: In some later model unsubscribe kits, the "OFF" indicator has
> been replaced by "POWER-UP STANDBY ENABLE". Accordingly the "ON" indicator
>
> has been replaced by the much clearer, "POWER-DOWN STANDBY ENABLE". Contact
> your internet service provider for a list of affected model numbers. An
> "ON-OFF" retrofit panel kit is available for those who have difficulty with

Harry, your directions to Mr. Freeman were clear and concise. I didn't
realize that the process of unsubscribing was so simple. I believe you
forgot one thing though. He will, at some point, need to wash his mouse
out with soap. If he uses the Auto-Unusb feature, this can easily done
while he's in the shower, but if he uses some other proceedure, some
other provision must be made for completing this step.

--
Lindsay Haisley | "The difference between | PGP public key
FMP Computer Services | a duck is that one leg | available at

Old 02-01-2009, 11:39 PM
Michelangelo Bottura

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 22:54, Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@fmp.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-01-31 at 23:23 -0500, Harry Holt wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 11:18 PM, Frank Freeman
>> <ffreeman@digitalns.net> wrote:
>> unsubscribe
>>
>> Hmph. You can't get out that easy.
>>
>> Please Note: In some later model unsubscribe kits, the "OFF" indicator has
>> been replaced by "POWER-UP STANDBY ENABLE". Accordingly the "ON" indicator
>>
>> has been replaced by the much clearer, "POWER-DOWN STANDBY ENABLE". Contact
>> your internet service provider for a list of affected model numbers. An
>> "ON-OFF" retrofit panel kit is available for those who have difficulty with
>
> Harry, your directions to Mr. Freeman were clear and concise. I didn't
> realize that the process of unsubscribing was so simple. I believe you
> forgot one thing though. He will, at some point, need to wash his mouse
> out with soap. If he uses the Auto-Unusb feature, this can easily done
> while he's in the shower, but if he uses some other proceedure, some
> other provision must be made for completing this step.
>
> --
> Lindsay Haisley | "The difference between | PGP public key
> FMP Computer Services | a duck is that one leg | available at
> 512-259-1190 | is both the same" | http://pubkeys.fmp.com
> http://www.fmp.com | - Anonymous |

Lindsay,
even your directions, still being in the right track, miss the obvious
caveat: the user has to be warned (for the sake of completeness) that
he must be particularly wary if he owns a cat - in that case the
auto-unsub feature might not work and require manual intervention.

Ciao,

michelangelo

Old 02-02-2009, 12:58 AM
Lindsay Haisley

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 01:39 +0100, Michelangelo Bottura wrote:
> even your directions, still being in the right track, miss the obvious
> caveat: the user has to be warned (for the sake of completeness) that
> he must be particularly wary if he owns a cat - in that case the
> auto-unsub feature might not work and require manual intervention.

That's correct. It's recommended that a list subscriber unsubscribe
from any cat he or she may own prior to attempting any other unsubscribe
procedure as described by Mr. Holt. I believe, however, that a
discussion of the process of unsubscribing from a cat is rather
seriously OT for this list.

--
Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works | Accredited
FMP Computer Services | if you let it" | by the

Old 02-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Spiro Harvey

> No footer. Perhaps it is just a setting on the mailing list that I
> disabled?

Here's your problem.

Microsoft do things their own way and assume that's how everybody likes
it. Inevitably, all their users have to conform, because they don't
have any other option.

If you're in a corporate environment and can't choose your own
software, then I recommend using some kind of webmail client -- but not
Hotmail.

--
Spiro Harvey Knossos Networks Ltd
021-295-1923 www.knossos.net.nz

Old 02-02-2009, 08:51 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Here's your problem.
>
>Microsoft do things their own way and assume that's how everybody likes
>it.

That's funny, I am using OL as well, and I don't have a problem with
headers/footers or Microsoft trying to tell me to do anything? In fact
I have no problem with any of our MS infrastructure.

Obviously *y*mmv...

Old 02-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Spiro Harvey

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 14:51:31 -0700
"Joseph L. Casale" <JCasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:
> That's funny, I am using OL as well, and I don't have a problem with
> headers/footers or Microsoft trying to tell me to do anything? In fact
> I have no problem with any of our MS infrastructure.
> Obviously *y*mmv...

yes I'm sure. You reminded me of a great quote I heard recently...

"The biggest enemy of freedom is a happy slave."