Old 01-29-2009, 08:06 AM
Anne Wilson

Default unsubscribe

On Thursday 29 January 2009 01:43:42 Matt Shields wrote:
> > Now when there is a footer added that says to unsubscribe, send a
> > message to a specified address, it can be frustrating. But I guess it
> > works, a list manager will probably remove the poster.
> and how to log in and make changes to my subscription.

Look again, though. The footer has links, but it doesn't say 'Unsubscribe or
change options'. I agree that the info is there on the welcome letter, but
how many people save it?

This is not just a centos problem - all lists seem to suffer from it. I think
just adding that phrase into the footer would help - though again it seems
human nature to skip over footers, particularly as we are used to seeing sigs
that have no interest to us.

Anne

Anne

Old 01-29-2009, 09:03 AM
"Sorin Srbu"

Of
>Matt Shields
>Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:44 AM
>To: CentOS mailing list
>
>Who cares about the headers.... every single message from the list has a
footer
>appended to it with the information about the list. Click on the link and it
tells you how
>to unsubscribe.

If an unsubscribe message sent to the list causes so much hiatus as now, why
not make it simple for all involved and just add an unsubscribe link in the
footer, as several subscribers have already mentioned, and be rid of all
this...

It's not completely obvious that all list-info, incl how to unsub, is
available if you follow the link in the footer. At least not for a technology
challenged CTO or whatever he/she was. ;-)

Just my opinion...
--
/Sorin

Old 01-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Michael Simpson

Miss Mailers anyone?

<http://www.faqs.org/faqs/mail/miss-mailers/>

mike

Old 01-29-2009, 07:10 PM
"Bob Hoffman"

(sorry for the dotted lines, but was sent in html and I could not get my
post at the bottom without doing it this way)

None of my messages has ever come, as far as I know, with any footer about
the list. The only footers I ever see are the ones from the sender. Maybe
they are deleted by outlook or something, but they are not in the hidden
headers either.

Many get confused as every mailing list is a bit different. Some are hard
and some are easy to unsubscribe.

But I never get any footers.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Bowie Bailey

Bob Hoffman wrote:

> But I never get any footers.

Looks like a footer to me...

--
Bowie

Old 01-29-2009, 10:06 PM
John R Pierce

Bob Hoffman wrote:
> But I never get any footers.

reeely? that was under the message you just sent.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:46 PM
Kevin Krieser

On Jan 28, 2009, at 7:43 PM, Matt Shields wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 7:23 PM, Kevin Krieser <k_krieser@sbcglobal.net
> > wrote:
>
> On Jan 28, 2009, at 10:46 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday 28 January 2009 16:20:47 Kevin Krieser wrote:
> >> The information IS in the headers, but many email programs don't
> show
> >> the full headers, extracting only the information that many people
> >> want (subject, TO:, CC:, etc). So if you aren't aware of it being
> >> hidden in the headers, you may not notice it.
> >>
> >> I generally look at the footers, when present, to see how to
> >> unsubscribe. And many people don't even go that far. CentOS
> >> probably
> >> should add just a little more to their footers, such as a note that
> >> the link provided is also to unsubscribe.
> >
> > It's easy to find when you know, but then we're not newbies, are we?
> >
> > Anne
>
> I've been on several different lists, on and off, so I am not a newbie
> here. And even then, unless I remembered, I probably wouldn't think
> of looking at the normally hidden headers.
>
> Now when there is a footer added that says to unsubscribe, send a
> message to a specified address, it can be frustrating. But I guess it
> works, a list manager will probably remove the poster.
> telling me about my subscription and how to log in and make changes
> to my subscription.
>
> -matt
> http://www.sysadminvalley.com
> http://www.beantownhost.com
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/mattboston
> Bill Cosby - "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid
> ones that need the advice."

Mentioned the headers since some early replies referred the OP to the
headers.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:45 AM
"Sorin Srbu"

This one has a footer... I use Outlook 2007.
--
/Sorin

Old 01-30-2009, 04:17 PM
"Bob Hoffman"

> Bob Hoffman wrote:
> >
> > But I never get any footers.

> Looks like a footer to me...
>
> --
> Bowie

Again, My mails do not have that footer unless someone specifically adds
them (like you just did). But it is not a footer if you add it to your
message.

So, maybe my settings do not add it, but not one mail ever has some system
footer.
Yours may get them, but mine have never gotten them.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:19 PM
"Bob Hoffman"

> Bob Hoffman wrote:
> > But I never get any footers.

> reeely? that was under the message you just sent.

Really.
I did not add it to my message and my client never shows such a message.
The only way I know to change anything is to go to the centos site, click
mailing lists, then find the correct link to get to the settings for this
mailing list.

Perhaps since I send in text mode it shows up and so many send in html mode?

I do not have footers...would you like pictures?..lol