Old 01-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Ned Slider

Default unsubscribe

cent osserver wrote:

> Wow - so you are an ICT director?
> Amazing that you could be a dickhead in SO MANY WAYS in ONE EMAIL!
>
> #1 - sending HTML email to a List that doesn't allow it
>
> #2 - Sending an unsubscribe message to an email address that
> doesn't do anything with them when the information on
> how to unsubscribe is right in the headers to the email.
>
> #3 attaching a totally FUCKING STUPID "OOO, OOO, OH,
> THIS MAIL WAS SCANNED FOR VIRUSES" message to the
> email LIKE A VIRUS COULDN'T PUT ONE THERE ITSELF!
>
> #4 - Putting a stupid religious message in the email after proving
> God doesn't exist (Proof- God is perfect, you clearly aren't therefore
> God didn't create you, which means the claim that God created the
> Earth and everything else in the Universe is FALSE!.)
>
> Too bad you're such a dickhead, Otherwise God would still be safe.
>
> I wouldn't let you near a bicycle, much less a computer.
>
> oh wait.. You're from Zimbabwe! That explains everything.

Was that REALLY called for? Couldn't you have simply filed it in /dev/null?

Your language is vulgar and totally unnecessary, your rantings are OT
and irrelevant, and you've managed to offend an entire religion and
nation in one email. Well done, give yourself a pat on the back!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:48 PM

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 08:21:13AM -0500, cent osserver wrote:
> Wow - so you are an ICT director?
.... stuff deleted

Um, That was a bit excessive wasn't it?

Please refrain from posting that to the list.

And be nicer. It works better in the long run.

I can't be too judgmental here. I've fallen victim to the
the Flaming syndrome myself, and regretted it.

I believe there is a browser plugin that help gmail user's
not respond too quickly...

Maybe that would be a good addition.. :-)

Jeff Kinz.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:56 PM
cent osserver

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 8:33 AM, Ned Slider <ned@unixmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Was that REALLY called for? Couldn't you have simply filed it in /dev/null?

Yes, I should have. I gave into impulse in a weak moment and then
REALLY screwed up by not noticing I was replying to the list and not
the individual. (Most lists have reply-to set to the individual, not
the list)

Sorry.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:06 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>(Most lists have reply-to set to the individual, not
>the list)

So apparently "Directors" *and* ordinary list members make
mistakes. Ohh the irony

jlc

Old 01-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Brian Mathis

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 8:56 AM, cent osserver <centoserver@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 8:33 AM, Ned Slider <ned@unixmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> Was that REALLY called for? Couldn't you have simply filed it in /dev/null?
>
> Yes, I should have. I gave into impulse in a weak moment and then
> REALLY screwed up by not noticing I was replying to the list and not
> the individual. (Most lists have reply-to set to the individual, not
> the list)
>
> Sorry.

If this is how you reply to people, ESPECIALLY privately, and during
weak moments, your Internet privileges are hereby revoked. Your
status as a decent human being isn't looking good either.

Get control over yourself. Also realize that if you were to reply to
someone like this in private, you are doing more damage to the
community than if you did it in public. At least if you do it in
public, we can rip you apart for it. A mailing list is not there to
provide you with punching bags for when you have a bad day.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:20 PM
Kevin Krieser

On Jan 28, 2009, at 10:00 AM, Brian Mathis wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 8:56 AM, cent osserver
> <centoserver@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 8:33 AM, Ned Slider <ned@unixmail.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>> Was that REALLY called for? Couldn't you have simply filed it in /
>>> dev/null?
>>
>> Yes, I should have. I gave into impulse in a weak moment and then
>> REALLY screwed up by not noticing I was replying to the list and not
>> the individual. (Most lists have reply-to set to the individual,
>> not
>> the list)
>>
>> Sorry.
>
> If this is how you reply to people, ESPECIALLY privately, and during
> weak moments, your Internet privileges are hereby revoked. Your
> status as a decent human being isn't looking good either.
>
> Get control over yourself. Also realize that if you were to reply to
> someone like this in private, you are doing more damage to the
> community than if you did it in public. At least if you do it in
> public, we can rip you apart for it. A mailing list is not there to
> provide you with punching bags for when you have a bad day.

The information IS in the headers, but many email programs don't show
the full headers, extracting only the information that many people
want (subject, TO:, CC:, etc). So if you aren't aware of it being
hidden in the headers, you may not notice it.

I generally look at the footers, when present, to see how to
unsubscribe. And many people don't even go that far. CentOS probably
should add just a little more to their footers, such as a note that
the link provided is also to unsubscribe.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Anne Wilson

On Wednesday 28 January 2009 13:56:10 cent osserver wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 8:33 AM, Ned Slider <ned@unixmail.co.uk> wrote:
> > Was that REALLY called for? Couldn't you have simply filed it in
> > /dev/null?
>
> Yes, I should have. I gave into impulse in a weak moment and then
> REALLY screwed up by not noticing I was replying to the list and not
> the individual. (Most lists have reply-to set to the individual, not
> the list)

So it would have been all right if you had insulted him directly, would it?
Grow up!

The only good thing is he probably never saw it, as some of us help people
off-list with things like this.

Anne

Old 01-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Anne Wilson

On Wednesday 28 January 2009 16:20:47 Kevin Krieser wrote:
> The information IS in the headers, but many email programs don't show *
> the full headers, extracting only the information that many people *
> want (subject, TO:, CC:, etc). *So if you aren't aware of it being *
> hidden in the headers, you may not notice it.
>
> I generally look at the footers, when present, to see how to *
> unsubscribe. *And many people don't even go that far. *CentOS probably *
> should add just a little more to their footers, such as a note that *
> the link provided is also to unsubscribe.

It's easy to find when you know, but then we're not newbies, are we?

Anne

Old 01-28-2009, 11:23 PM
Kevin Krieser

On Jan 28, 2009, at 10:46 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Wednesday 28 January 2009 16:20:47 Kevin Krieser wrote:
>> The information IS in the headers, but many email programs don't show
>> the full headers, extracting only the information that many people
>> want (subject, TO:, CC:, etc). So if you aren't aware of it being
>> hidden in the headers, you may not notice it.
>>
>> I generally look at the footers, when present, to see how to
>> unsubscribe. And many people don't even go that far. CentOS
>> probably
>> should add just a little more to their footers, such as a note that
>> the link provided is also to unsubscribe.
>
> It's easy to find when you know, but then we're not newbies, are we?
>
> Anne

I've been on several different lists, on and off, so I am not a newbie
here. And even then, unless I remembered, I probably wouldn't think
of looking at the normally hidden headers.

Now when there is a footer added that says to unsubscribe, send a
message to a specified address, it can be frustrating. But I guess it
works, a list manager will probably remove the poster.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:43 AM
Matt Shields

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 7:23 PM, Kevin Krieser <k_krieser@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On Jan 28, 2009, at 10:46 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Wednesday 28 January 2009 16:20:47 Kevin Krieser wrote:

>> The information IS in the headers, but many email programs don't show

>> the full headers, extracting only the information that many people

>> want (subject, TO:, CC:, etc). *So if you aren't aware of it being

>> hidden in the headers, you may not notice it.

>> I generally look at the footers, when present, to see how to

>> unsubscribe. *And many people don't even go that far. *CentOS

>> probably

>> should add just a little more to their footers, such as a note that

>> the link provided is also to unsubscribe.

> It's easy to find when you know, but then we're not newbies, are we?

> Anne

I've been on several different lists, on and off, so I am not a newbie

here. *And even then, unless I remembered, I probably wouldn't think

of looking at the normally hidden headers.

Now when there is a footer added that says to unsubscribe, send a

message to a specified address, it can be frustrating. But I guess it

works, a list manager will probably remove the poster.

Who cares about the headers.... every single message from the list has a footer appended to it with the information about the list.* Click on the link and it tells you how to unsubscribe.* Not to mention that, but once a month I get an email from the mailing list telling me about my subscription and how to log in and make changes to my subscription.

-matt
http://www.sysadminvalley.com
http://www.beantownhost.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mattboston

Bill Cosby *- "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."