Old 12-03-2007, 03:19 AM
Willis

Default sound

I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 and I had all my sound working until I upgraded
to the Christian Edition Desk Top.]

Now all my test button on the asla window test good until I try to test
an assigned .wav file. Ideas?

Old 12-03-2007, 03:45 AM
Caleb Marcus

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 22:19 -0600, Willis wrote:

I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 and I had all my sound working until I upgraded
to the Christian Edition Desk Top.]

Now all my test button on the asla window test good until I try to test
an assigned .wav file. Ideas?

Ubuntu Christian Edition isn't an official variant of Ubuntu, so any changes made by your "upgrade" to Ubuntu CE that may have damaged aspects of Ubuntu are not supported here.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Per Anton Ronning

I was trying the loudspeakers playing a music CD. Suddenly I lost the
sound, (I was doing something else on the PC which I cannot remember
what was, I am preparing the PC for production so I do a lot of things)
I have not succeeded in getting back the sound, the volume control does
not help me. Should I look elsewhere? F 9 differs quite a bit from FC 5,
so I don't know where to look. I have not yet gotten around to buy a F 9
textbook.

PAR

Old 08-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Lyvim Xaphir

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 21:04 +0200, Per Anton Ronning wrote:
> I was trying the loudspeakers playing a music CD. Suddenly I lost the
> sound, (I was doing something else on the PC which I cannot remember
> what was, I am preparing the PC for production so I do a lot of things)
> I have not succeeded in getting back the sound, the volume control does
> not help me. Should I look elsewhere? F 9 differs quite a bit from FC 5,
> so I don't know where to look. I have not yet gotten around to buy a F 9
> textbook.
>
> PAR

If you want the best quality production sound, go to 4front
Technologies:

http://www.4front-tech.com/download.cgi

and download the latest package for your kernel. You'll need
kernel-devel, kernel-headers, and gcc installed. If you need extra
assistance in realtime, it's available pretty much 24/7 on
irc.freenode.net in the #oss channel.

-LX

Old 08-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Anne Wilson

On Wednesday 06 August 2008 20:04:33 Per Anton Ronning wrote:
> I was trying the loudspeakers playing a music CD. Suddenly I lost the
> sound, (I was doing something else on the PC which I cannot remember
> what was, I am preparing the PC for production so I do a lot of things)
> I have not succeeded in getting back the sound, the volume control does
> not help me. Should I look elsewhere? F 9 differs quite a bit from FC 5,
> so I don't know where to look.

Try System Settings (systemsettings from the command line) > Sound.

> I have not yet gotten around to buy a F 9
> textbook.

You are not likely to find out - it's too new. Just ask about anything that
you can't work out.

Anne

Old 08-07-2008, 07:46 AM
Per Anton Ronning

Anne Wilson wrote:

On Wednesday 06 August 2008 20:04:33 Per Anton Ronning wrote:

I was trying the loudspeakers playing a music CD. Suddenly I lost the
sound, (I was doing something else on the PC which I cannot remember
what was, I am preparing the PC for production so I do a lot of things)
I have not succeeded in getting back the sound, the volume control does
not help me. Should I look elsewhere? F 9 differs quite a bit from FC 5,
so I don't know where to look.

Try System Settings (systemsettings from the command line) > Sound.

I have not yet gotten around to buy a F 9
textbook.

You are not likely to find out - it's too new. Just ask about anything that
you can't work out.

Anne

I finally discovered a tiny loudspeaker widget in the upper right corner
of the screen, and it looked suspiciously shut down. One click, ant the
sound was back :-)

PAR

Old 08-07-2008, 01:13 PM

I am using CentOS 4.5. I bought a USB speaker. Sound works fine.
My problem though is that whatever player I am using "hijacks" the sound.
That is, if I go to youtube or accuradio or whatever (play via mozilla),
then when that is finished, if I try to use xine or realplayer everything
works fine EXCEPT the sound ;-) I have to exit and pkill firefox.
Similarly if I use xine or realplay and later want to hear via firefox
there is no sound. Doing a pkill on xine or realplay is not enough.
I HAVE TO REBOOT.

There should be someway to release the sound device (maybe different in
each case) so something else can use it?

Old 08-07-2008, 02:32 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 13:13 +0000, tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:
> I am using CentOS 4.5. I bought a USB speaker. Sound works fine.
> My problem though is that whatever player I am using "hijacks" the sound.
> That is, if I go to youtube or accuradio or whatever (play via mozilla),
> then when that is finished, if I try to use xine or realplayer everything
> works fine EXCEPT the sound ;-) I have to exit and pkill firefox.
> Similarly if I use xine or realplay and later want to hear via firefox
> there is no sound. Doing a pkill on xine or realplay is not enough.
> I HAVE TO REBOOT.
>
> There should be someway to release the sound device (maybe different in
> each case) so something else can use it?

That's what soundservers are for. Are you running PulseAudio? (You don't
say what version of Fedora you have).

poc

Old 08-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Ed Greshko

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 13:13 +0000, tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:

I am using CentOS 4.5. I bought a USB speaker. Sound works fine.
My problem though is that whatever player I am using "hijacks" the sound.
That is, if I go to youtube or accuradio or whatever (play via mozilla),
then when that is finished, if I try to use xine or realplayer everything
works fine EXCEPT the sound ;-) I have to exit and pkill firefox.
Similarly if I use xine or realplay and later want to hear via firefox
there is no sound. Doing a pkill on xine or realplay is not enough.

I HAVE TO REBOOT.

There should be someway to release the sound device (maybe different in
each case) so something else can use it?

That's what soundservers are for. Are you running PulseAudio? (You don't
say what version of Fedora you have).

He said, "I am using CentOS 4.5". This is a clone of RHELv4. The nahant
list may be a better place to take this query.

--
If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it's still a foolish thing.
-- Bertrand Russell

Old 08-07-2008, 09:26 PM

> I am using CentOS 4.5. I bought a USB speaker. Sound works fine.
> My problem though is that whatever player I am using "hijacks" the sound.
> That is, if I go to youtube or accuradio or whatever (play via mozilla),
> then when that is finished, if I try to use xine or realplayer everything
> works fine EXCEPT the sound ;-) I have to exit and pkill firefox.
> Similarly if I use xine or realplay and later want to hear via firefox
> there is no sound. Doing a pkill on xine or realplay is not enough.
> I HAVE TO REBOOT.
>
> There should be someway to release the sound device (maybe different in
> each case) so something else can use it?

That's what soundservers are for. Are you running PulseAudio? (You don't
say what version of Fedora you have).

poc

It's not Fedora. It's CentOS 4.5. I am not running Pulse Audio but I
will investigate. Will it work with USB speaker?

Oops I just checked. Somehow I now have CentOS 4.6