Old 12-03-2007, 02:58 AM
"Kenneth P. Turvey"

Default Virtualization software

I need to run Windows (XP or Vista) for some clients I have and I would
like to run it in a window like I used to using VMWare. It has been a few
years since I needed Windows for anything so I thought I would check in
and find out what the best way to do this is today. VMWare used to be the
only software that would do this well, but now I understand that there are
a number of options.

So which is best? Free options are obviously better. What are the pluses
and minuses of those options?

What kind of virtualization software are you running? What do you like
about it? What don't you like about it?

Thanks.

--
Kenneth P. Turvey <kt-usenet@squeakydolphin.com>

Old 12-03-2007, 03:24 AM
James Macele Jones

VirtualBox works fine for me. It's easy to configure and it's free.

The only issue I have had with VirtualBox is that NAT doesn't work at
all. In order to get packets to the guest OS I was forced to use a
bridge and virtual interfaces.

But that was simple enough and the instructions can be found in the
manual on the VirtualBox website.

-Macele

Old 12-03-2007, 03:44 AM
Caleb Marcus

VirtualBox works fine for me. It's easy to configure and it's free.

The only issue I have had with VirtualBox is that NAT doesn't work at
all. In order to get packets to the guest OS I was forced to use a
bridge and virtual interfaces.

But that was simple enough and the instructions can be found in the
manual on the VirtualBox website.

-Macele

I use VirtualBox as well. However, I had no problem with NAT...

Old 12-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Paul Kaplan

On Sunday 02 December 2007 11:44:09 pm Caleb Marcus wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 22:24 -0600, James Macele Jones wrote:
> > VirtualBox works fine for me. It's easy to configure and it's free.
> >
> > The only issue I have had with VirtualBox is that NAT doesn't work at
> > all. In order to get packets to the guest OS I was forced to use a
> > bridge and virtual interfaces.
> >
> > But that was simple enough and the instructions can be found in the
> > manual on the VirtualBox website.
> >
> > -Macele
>
> I use VirtualBox as well. However, I had no problem with NAT...

I too run VB when at work to access certain apps. No problem w/ NAT.
Corporate IT hasn't noticed anything unusual.

Unlike VMWare, you don't have to rebuild kernel modules everytime you upgrade
the host kernel. Also, VB development seems to respond faster to distro
upgrades. VB seems to boot XP a bit faster. VB also has "seamless" mode,
whereby the Windows desktop is suppressed and any running apps appear
directly on the linux desktop.

I've had good experiences w/ community support (both mailing lists and fora,
for both VMWare and VB. However, the VM community FWIW.

Although not free, Crossover has come a long way. Check out the evaluation
version. Whereas I used to run a virtual machine to get full MS Office
functionality and CX only when booting XP wasn't desirable, I now find that
CX suits most of my MSO needs and I only boot XP/VB for certain specialized
apps.

Paul

Old 12-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Sunday 02 December 2007, Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:
> I need to run Windows (XP or Vista) for some clients I have and I would
> like to run it in a window like I used to using VMWare. *It has been a few
> years since I needed Windows for anything so I thought I would check in
> and find out what the best way to do this is today. *VMWare used to be the
> only software that would do this well, but now I understand that there are
> a number of options.

I've been running VMWare for about 6 years and it always has worked
flawlessly.

But as a home user, and having an XP machine right here, I didn't really need
the expensive of paying for VMWare,

When it recently came time to upgrade to Version 6 of VMW, I decided it was
time to look around and installed VirtualBox. Although VB runs very well, it
does not support USB in its free form and setting up the networking was a 3
day task. And I am not sure I like the way the networking works. I have
been unable to get Samba to work from VB to my other machines... but I am
sure that 3 more days of steady plugging at it *might* solve that problem.

So at this point, if clients are involved (the paying kind), I would say go
with VMware as being a more stable environment at a not-so-great expense.
The work involved in switching releases/kernels has never been a bid deal to
me. I was always able to get it to work after applying the patches to the
module that are available on the net.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:31 PM
"John DeCarlo"

When it recently came time to upgrade to Version 6 of VMW, I decided it was
time to look around and installed VirtualBox. *Although VB runs very well, it
does not support USB in its free form and setting up the networking was a 3

day task. * And I am not sure I like the way the networking works. *I have
been unable to get Samba to work from VB to my other machines... *but I am
sure that 3 more days of steady plugging at it *might* solve that problem.

Bruce,

Which free version did you test?* The free (as in speech) that is in the Ubuntu repositories, or the free (as in beer) you have to go to the Virtualbox apt repositories for?

Thanks.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own

Old 12-05-2007, 01:12 AM
"Kenneth P. Turvey"

I'm the original poster. I've installed VirtualBox and I'm quite
impressed. It works much better than VMWare used to (it has been a few
years). VirtualBox looks like it will solve the problem I needed it to.

Thank you all for your help.

--
Kenneth P. Turvey <kt-usenet@squeakydolphin.com>