Old 12-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Thilo Six

Default howto mount a second cdrom (Bruce Marshall)

Doug Schrock wrote the following on 02.12.2007 23:19

</snip>

>> Do the following to find out the names of your two devices:
>>
>> ls -la /dev/cd*
>>
>> ls -la /dev/dvd*
>>
>> I think that will give you the clue
>>

> Tim,

</snip>

> I have edited
> my etc/fstab file to show hdc cdrom0 and hdd to be cdrom1.

</snip>

> Doug

I think the numbering has changed:

$ l /dev/scd0
brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 11, 0 02.12.2007 21:18 /dev/scd0

--
Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 12-03-2007, 12:02 PM
"Tim M"

On 12/2/07, Doug Schrock <dschrock@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > On Sunday 02 December 2007, Tim M wrote:> > I am embarrassed to say that
> I cannot figure out how to mount and use> > the second cdrom (actually a
> dvdrom) I have installed in my small test> > server. I have read a articles
> on the subject but they never seemed to> > address the problem I am having.
> The new drive shows up in the BIOS> > but I am not sure how to find it using
> command lines. I even installed> > a lightweight windows manager iceWM in
> hopes that some visual clues> > might help me . . . Anyway, what are the
> commands I need to run to> > find the dvdrom and mount it?> >> > Thanks in
> advance, Tim> > Do the following to find out the names of your two devices:>
> > ls -la /dev/cd*> > ls -la /dev/dvd*> > I think that will give you the clue
> >

> Tim,
>
> I have the same problem, except with 2 nearly identical cdrws (TDK 52x and a
> TDK 48x drive)
> When I tried the above, a get "no such file ordirectory". I have edited my
> etc/fstab file to show hdc cdrom0 and hdd to be cdrom1.
> Both show up as working in the System Bios.
> I originally installed the feisty i386 lamp server edition, but then
> installed the gnome destktop. The second cdrw worked briefly.
> Any help would be grealy appreciated.
>
> Doug

Doug,

I would love to be able to help you but I am not very good with
command lines which is one of the reasons I installed the server. I
think if you go back and follow the commands listed in the second post
on this thread you should be able to find the cdrom. Then you can edit
/etc/fstab as shown in the third and forth post. Be sure to change the
name of your device to whatever the first command shows. In my case it
was /dev/hdd and after making the change to fstab remember to remount.

Tim

Old 12-03-2007, 04:15 PM
"Raymundo M. Vega"

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 07:02 -0600, Tim M wrote:

> > I cannot figure out how to mount and use> > the second cdrom (actually a
> > dvdrom) I have installed in my small test> > server. I have read a articles
> > on the subject but they never seemed to> > address the problem I am having.
> > The new drive shows up in the BIOS> > but I am not sure how to find it using
> > command lines. I even installed> > a lightweight windows manager iceWM in
> > hopes that some visual clues> > might help me . . . Anyway, what are the
> > commands I need to run to> > find the dvdrom and mount it?> >> > Thanks in
> > advance, Tim> > Do the following to find out the names of your two devices:>
> > > ls -la /dev/cd*> > ls -la /dev/dvd*> > I think that will give you the clue
> > >

> > Tim,
> >
> > I have the same problem, except with 2 nearly identical cdrws (TDK 52x and a
> > TDK 48x drive)
> > When I tried the above, a get "no such file ordirectory". I have edited my
> > etc/fstab file to show hdc cdrom0 and hdd to be cdrom1.
> > Both show up as working in the System Bios.
> > I originally installed the feisty i386 lamp server edition, but then
> > installed the gnome destktop. The second cdrw worked briefly.
> > Any help would be grealy appreciated.
> >
> > Doug
> >

> Doug,
>
> I would love to be able to help you but I am not very good with
> command lines which is one of the reasons I installed the server. I
> think if you go back and follow the commands listed in the second post
> on this thread you should be able to find the cdrom. Then you can edit
> /etc/fstab as shown in the third and forth post. Be sure to change the
> name of your device to whatever the first command shows. In my case it
> was /dev/hdd and after making the change to fstab remember to remount.
>
> Tim

Have you tried to find if they are detected at boot time?
try something like: dmesg | grep -i tdk

raymundo

Old 12-03-2007, 11:48 PM
NoOp

On 12/02/2007 02:19 PM, Doug Schrock wrote:
>>> On Sunday 02 December 2007, Tim M wrote:> > I am embarrassed to
>>> say that I cannot figure out how to mount and use> > the second
>>> cdrom (actually a dvdrom) I have installed in my small test> >
>>> server. I have read a articles on the subject but they never
>>> seemed to> > address the problem I am having. The new drive shows
>>> up in the BIOS> > but I am not sure how to find it using command
>>> lines. I even installed> > a lightweight windows manager iceWM in
>>> hopes that some visual clues> > might help me . . . Anyway, what
>>> are the commands I need to run to> > find the dvdrom and mount
>>> it?> >> > Thanks in advance, Tim> > Do the following to find out
>>> the names of your two devices:> > ls -la /dev/cd*> > ls -la
>>> /dev/dvd*> > I think that will give you the clue >
>
> Tim,
>
> I have the same problem, except with 2 nearly identical cdrws (TDK
> 52x and a TDK 48x drive) When I tried the above, a get "no such file
> ordirectory". I have edited my etc/fstab file to show hdc cdrom0 and
> hdd to be cdrom1. Both show up as working in the System Bios. I
> originally installed the feisty i386 lamp server edition, but then
> installed the gnome destktop. The second cdrw worked briefly. Any
> help would be grealy appreciated.
>
> Doug

from my fstab for 2 CD drives:

/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
/dev/scd1 /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

Make sure that you have those directories/folders in /media (cdrom0 and
cdrom1). If not, create them.

Check in /usr/log/dmesg to see if you have any ata2 type messages.
Simply because the drives show up in bios doesn't mean that they are
actually working. I just troubleshot a CD-RW that showed up in bios as
well, but failed in Ubuntu. The problem was that someone had tried to
force the controller cable on the wrong way & bent on the drive. Managed
to pull the pin back out & salvage the drive, but my point here is that
a drive *can* show up in bios, but *not* work in the OS (linux or
otherwise).

Also check to make sure that your jumper settings on the drives are
good. Start by adding only one drive as Master, boot, check. If that
works then do the same to the second drive (set it as Master, boot,
check). If the drives work individually that way, then you probably need
to go back & check your jumper and cable settings. Make sure one drive
is set for Master, the other is set for Slave & neither are set for
Cable Select. Note: you can use CS in instances where you actually have
a valid cable, but it's best to not mess with it unless you know what
you are doing.