Old 06-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Alain Muls

Default Firefox printing

Hi,

I use firefox v3.05b with Ubuntu HH 8.04 LTS.
If I print, firefox uses the default printer. But since this is
different at home and at work, I have to change it manually. Firefox
never shows me a selection for the printer to send his out put to? Any
suggestions

Tx/Alain

Old 06-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Xandros Pilosa

Alain Muls pravi:
> Hi,
>
> I use firefox v3.05b with Ubuntu HH 8.04 LTS.
> If I print, firefox uses the default printer. But since this is
> different at home and at work, I have to change it manually. Firefox
> never shows me a selection for the printer to send his out put to? Any
> suggestions
>
> Tx/Alain
Hello Alain,

sorry, but I cannot reproduce your problem as the print dialogue window
shows in my installation ok, thus I can give you just some hints.
If you have the dialogue window in other applications (like ooffice ),
then you can check that plug-in libunixprintplugin.so is correctly
installed.
In firefox type in the adrress bar:
aboutlugins
and check, if "Demo Print Plugin for unix/linux" is enabled. It is a
part of xulrunner-1.9 package in hardy-updates repository.

Furthermore you can check configuration settings in firefox with:
about:config
in the address bar and filter options by "print" in filter box at the top.
Here are some examples from my settings, wit clean (not upgraded form
FF2) profile, that could be relevant for you, from top to bottom of
displayed options:

print.postscript.print_command; lpr
${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+-P"$MOZ_PRINTER_NAME"}
print.print_command; lpr
${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+-P"$MOZ_PRINTER_NAME"}
and also for each printer separately e.g.:
print.printer_efax-gtk.print_command; lpr
${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+-P"$MOZ_PRINTER_NAME"}
print.printer_PDF.print_command; lpr
${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+-P"$MOZ_PRINTER_NAME"}

print.printer_list; -_has no value set - it is empty-_

print.use_native_print_dialog; false

You can edit values with double click or by right clicking the row.
Please be sure, _to backup_ your prefs.js file in your profile folder or
that folder itself, before you make any changes to your preferences file.

Good luck!

Old 06-27-2012, 10:42 PM
Bill Vance

Howdy Gang;

I was printing out a long html file using Firefox 13.0, when
something else went screwy and caused the machine to reboot.

There's about a tenth of the file left to print, and I've no
idea how to tell firefox, (or any other browser), to only print
the part I need done.

Anyone got something on tap that'll do the trick?

TIA

Bill

Old 06-28-2012, 01:58 AM
Jerry Lapham

On Wednesday, June 27, 2012 06:42:11 PM Bill Vance wrote:
> I was printing out a long html file using Firefox 13.0, when
> something else went screwy and caused the machine to reboot.
>
> There's about a tenth of the file left to print, and I've no
> idea how to tell firefox, (or any other browser), to only print
> the part I need done.
>
> Anyone got something on tap that'll do the trick?

I like to see what my printout will look like before I waste toner and paper
on it so I always "print" to PDF, then print the .pdf file if it looks OK.

That might work even in your case if the early pages you've already printed
correspond with the pages of the .pdf file. You could then print only the
missing pages.

-Jerry

Old 06-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Bill Vance

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 09:58:31PM -0400, Jerry Lapham wrote:
>Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 21:58:31 -0400
>From: Jerry Lapham <rjlapham@gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Firefox Printing
>
>On Wednesday, June 27, 2012 06:42:11 PM Bill Vance wrote:
>> I was printing out a long html file using Firefox 13.0, when
>> something else went screwy and caused the machine to reboot.
>>
>> There's about a tenth of the file left to print, and I've no
>> idea how to tell firefox, (or any other browser), to only print
>> the part I need done.
>>
>> Anyone got something on tap that'll do the trick?
>
>I like to see what my printout will look like before I waste toner and paper
>on it so I always "print" to PDF, then print the .pdf file if it looks OK.
>
>That might work even in your case if the early pages you've already printed
>correspond with the pages of the .pdf file. You could then print only the
>missing pages.

Where is this option made available? I can't find it on
either of the print options.

Bill

Old 06-28-2012, 08:46 AM
"O. Sinclair"

I was printing out a long html file using Firefox 13.0, when
something else went screwy and caused the machine to reboot.

There's about a tenth of the file left to print, and I've no
idea how to tell firefox, (or any other browser), to only print
the part I need done.

Anyone got something on tap that'll do the trick?

I like to see what my printout will look like before I waste toner and paper
on it so I always "print" to PDF, then print the .pdf file if it looks OK.

That might work even in your case if the early pages you've already printed
correspond with the pages of the .pdf file. You could then print only the
missing pages.

Where is this option made available? I can't find it on
either of the print options.

Bill

print to file, change from ps to pdf

Old 06-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 28 June 2012 12:08:30 Bill Vance did opine:

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 09:58:31PM -0400, Jerry Lapham wrote:
> >Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 21:58:31 -0400
> >From: Jerry Lapham <rjlapham@gmail.com>
> >Subject: Re: Firefox Printing
> >
> >On Wednesday, June 27, 2012 06:42:11 PM Bill Vance wrote:
> >> I was printing out a long html file using Firefox 13.0, when
> >> something else went screwy and caused the machine to reboot.
> >>
> >> There's about a tenth of the file left to print, and I've no
> >> idea how to tell firefox, (or any other browser), to only print
> >> the part I need done.
> >>
> >> Anyone got something on tap that'll do the trick?
> >
> >I like to see what my printout will look like before I waste toner and
> >paper on it so I always "print" to PDF, then print the .pdf file if it
> >looks OK.
> >
> >That might work even in your case if the early pages you've already
> >printed correspond with the pages of the .pdf file. You could then
> >print only the missing pages.
>
> Where is this option made available? I can't find it on
> either of the print options.
>
> Bill

There is a 'cups-pdf' package that adds that capability. It shows up in
your list of available printers when installed, at
<http://localhost:631/printers>

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Staff meeting in the conference room in 3 minutes.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Michael Hirsch

I was printing out a long html file using Firefox 13.0, when

something else went screwy and caused the machine to reboot.

There's about a tenth of the file left to print, and I've no

idea how to tell firefox, (or any other browser), to only print

the part I need done.

Anyone got something on tap that'll do the trick?

In the print dialog, just tell it to print the unprinted pages.* Select the "Range"* radio button and the enter "10-" to print all the pages after page 10.* Instead of 10 you would use the number after the last page printed.

Michael