Old 12-02-2007, 04:08 PM
"Tim M"

Default howto mount a second cdrom

I am embarrassed to say that I cannot figure out how to mount and use
the second cdrom (actually a dvdrom) I have installed in my small test
server. I have read a articles on the subject but they never seemed to
address the problem I am having. The new drive shows up in the BIOS
but I am not sure how to find it using command lines. I even installed
a lightweight windows manager iceWM in hopes that some visual clues
might help me . . . Anyway, what are the commands I need to run to
find the dvdrom and mount it?

Thanks in advance, Tim

Old 12-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Sunday 02 December 2007, Tim M wrote:
> I am embarrassed to say that I cannot figure out how to mount and use
> the second cdrom (actually a dvdrom) I have installed in my small test
> server. I have read a articles on the subject but they never seemed to
> address the problem I am having. The new drive shows up in the BIOS
> but I am not sure how to find it using command lines. I even installed
> a lightweight windows manager iceWM in hopes that some visual clues
> might help me . . . Anyway, what are the commands I need to run to
> find the dvdrom and mount it?
>
> Thanks in advance, Tim

Do the following to find out the names of your two devices:

ls -la /dev/cd*

ls -la /dev/dvd*

I think that will give you the clue.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Chris

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 11:08:37 -0600
"Tim M" <southern.tim@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am embarrassed to say that I cannot figure out how to mount and use
> the second cdrom (actually a dvdrom) I have installed in my small test
> server. I have read a articles on the subject but they never seemed to
> address the problem I am having. The new drive shows up in the BIOS
> but I am not sure how to find it using command lines. I even installed
> a lightweight windows manager iceWM in hopes that some visual clues
> might help me . . . Anyway, what are the commands I need to run to
> find the dvdrom and mount it?
>
> Thanks in advance, Tim

Something like this:

/dev/scd1 /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0

It always helps to man mount and have a peek at /etc/fstab for examples.
And to find out the actual drive, dmseg | more helps too.

--
Best regards,
Chris

You are always busy.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Chris

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 11:31:13 -0600
Chris <racerx@makeworld.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 11:08:37 -0600
> "Tim M" <southern.tim@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am embarrassed to say that I cannot figure out how to mount and
> > use the second cdrom (actually a dvdrom) I have installed in my
> > small test server. I have read a articles on the subject but they
> > never seemed to address the problem I am having. The new drive
> > shows up in the BIOS but I am not sure how to find it using command
> > lines. I even installed a lightweight windows manager iceWM in
> > hopes that some visual clues might help me . . . Anyway, what are
> > the commands I need to run to find the dvdrom and mount it?
> >
> > Thanks in advance, Tim
> >

> Something like this:

Forgot to mention, the below example would be added to your /etc/fstab
file. Of course, I'm using /media/cdrom1 as a mount point.

> /dev/scd1 /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
>
> It always helps to man mount and have a peek at /etc/fstab for
> examples. And to find out the actual drive, dmseg | more helps too.

Then, a mount -a should kick everything into place

--
Best regards,
Chris

BOFH excuse #436: