Old 12-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Bill Moseley

Default Moving users from Debian (using an existing /home)

I have a Debian Sid machine and considering installing Gutsy
on it. Probably Xubuntu since I'll likely not use Gnome (I currently
use Icewm on that machine).

I have a few spare drives around so I'm planning throwing one of those
in as a secondary drive and install to that. I'd like to use the
existing /home on the old drive.

My question is about how to map the UIDs from the old users to the
new install. Does the installation process provide for this?

How should I add the users that are in /home on the old drive?

- Should I create the users in the new OS and then hack the
/etc/passwd entries so their UIDs and home dir match
what was in Debian?

- Or should I create the new users and then chown -R their home
directory?

- Or just do a normal install and copy their entries to /etc/passwd
and /etc/shadow?

I realize I'll need to deal with their groups, too.

Any other suggestions for migrating? I'll set up for dual boot (which
I assume the installer will do anyway) -- not that I see any real
reason to dual boot.

Debian disk currently looks like:

$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 1 608 4883728+ 83 Linux
/dev/hda2 609 670 498015 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hda3 671 9729 72766417+ 5 Extended
/dev/hda5 671 913 1951866 83 Linux
/dev/hda6 914 2129 9767488+ 83 Linux
/dev/hda7 2130 2737 4883728+ 83 Linux
/dev/hda8 2738 3953 9767488+ 83 Linux
/dev/hda9 3954 9729 46395688+ 83 Linux

$ df -h
/dev/hda1 4.7G 292M 4.4G 7% /
tmpfs 443M 0 443M 0% /lib/init/rw
tmpfs 443M 4.0K 443M 1% /dev/shm
/dev/hda5 1.9G 17M 1.9G 1% /tmp
/dev/hda6 9.4G 5.7G 3.7G 61% /usr
/dev/hda7 4.7G 2.6G 2.1G 56% /var
/dev/hda8 9.4G 6.8G 2.7G 72% /usr/local
/dev/hda9 45G 38G 6.5G 86% /home

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org

Old 12-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Adam McGreggor

On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 07:16:44AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> I have a Debian Sid machine and considering installing Gutsy
> on it. Probably Xubuntu since I'll likely not use Gnome (I currently
> use Icewm on that machine).

[...]

> My question is about how to map the UIDs from the old users to the
> new install. Does the installation process provide for this?
>
> How should I add the users that are in /home on the old drive?
>
> - Should I create the users in the new OS and then hack the
> /etc/passwd entries so their UIDs and home dir match
> what was in Debian?
>
> - Or should I create the new users and then chown -R their home
> directory?
>
> - Or just do a normal install and copy their entries to /etc/passwd
> and /etc/shadow?

That's what I do...

> I realize I'll need to deal with their groups, too.

not quite so easy as copying /etc/group, as the Umbungo groups thing is
a little different, so I'd be more inclined to copy your existing
/etc/group somewhere, and trim it down to just those lines for your
users; skip all the GID <1000 entries (but note to whom you've given
sudo/adm/op/&c access, for incorporation).

If you've given perms on other files around the FS you'll need to re-do
those under Ubuntu.

YMMV, HTH