Old 12-02-2007, 11:19 AM
"Edgars Šmits"

Default Problems with Intel sound & Gutsy

I am very frustrated at this point and hope someone can help me. I'm
running Gutsy fully up to date on a Dell Latitude D600 that has an
Intel sound card (8086:24c5 per lspci), sound was working perfectly up
until yesterday at some point (as I recall an update was offered...),
now it's dead, I can hear very faintly over the laptop speakers,
garbled, but nothing of value. After futzing around with the various
sound options (OSS, Alsa etc) I did a google on Gutsy + Intel + sound
and discovered that there is a known bug and a wiki about it
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Gutsy_Intel_HD_Audio_Controller), however
trying the Method G suggested hasn't made the problem go away.

1) can anyone point me to a good and understandable FAQ on Linux sound
- what is the difference between Alsa and OSS etc? I have a feeling I
may have screwed something up in trying to fix it.

2) any other Intel sound users have problems after updates yesterday?

Thanks

ED

Old 12-02-2007, 04:04 PM
David Vincent

Edgars ┼*mits wrote:

> 1) can anyone point me to a good and understandable FAQ on Linux sound
> - what is the difference between Alsa and OSS etc? I have a feeling I
> may have screwed something up in trying to fix it.

I can point out this forum post which helped me recompile ALSA and get
sound working on my hda-intel. (I cannot get my microphone or line-in
working.)

> 2) any other Intel sound users have problems after updates yesterday?

Just the mic/line-in problem which has been going on for a while now,
nothing related to any recent updates for me.

-d

Old 12-03-2007, 05:52 AM
"Edgars Šmits"

Thanks, got it working by running alsamixer, which I didn't know
about. Seems my master was muted....

Cheers

ED