Old 03-03-2009, 06:17 AM
Steven Vollom

Default hi

Raman Kumar wrote:
> hi this is Raman wanna be a member
If you mean help Kubuntu Help and User Discussions, sure. I am probably
the least qualified though. Perhaps the most motivated though. Raman,
if you are not a part of the Kubuntu-user List, maybe not. There is not
enough information in you email for me to make a decision. But I love
the list and will do anything I am able to contribute to it.

Steven Vollom, fine-artist retired

Old 12-16-2009, 05:46 AM
ramesh gandhi

I am the starter¬* to Ubuntu.

I want to know the followings:

1)Is it possible to install .exe files in Ubuntu? And how?

2)what are the executable files in Ubuntu.

3)how to install a new software in Ubuntu with out having
internet?

4)how to edit or access the source code of Ubuntu or any
application source code?

¬*

¬*

Please help me to learn more……………

¬*

Your Ramesh Gandhi

at ramesh.kbvr@gmail.com

Old 12-16-2009, 05:52 AM
Ajay Kumar Karn

Dear Mr.Ramesh,
(1) You can run .exe file in ubuntu.For this you need to install wine
application in your Ubuntu system.
(2) In linus .sh are the executable files.
(3) You can install new software through apt-get install command or
through Symantec package manager.
(4) For this query please read following web page.
http://developer.mindtouch.com/Official_MindTouch_Installation_Guides/9.02_Lyons_Source_Code_Install_and_Upgrade_Guide/Ubuntu_Source_Code_Installation_Guide

Hope it will helpful for you.

With Regards,
Ajay Karn.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:01 AM
Darshana Jayasinghe

1)Is it possible to install .exe files in Ubuntu? And how?
No, but you can use wine to¬* run .exe files. wine is a virtual machine. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine

2)what are the executable files in Ubuntu.
¬*you can run .sh files and .deb are debian installation¬* files.
but there is no particular extension for executable files. linux identify by the content whether its an executable file,

3)how to install a new software in Ubuntu with out having
internet?
u have 2 options:
1. you can download the source code then compile -> install
2. download .deb package with the dependency then install

4)how to edit or access the source code of Ubuntu or any
application source code?

¬*you can download it from the http://archive.ubuntu.com/¬*

.(Source Distribution)

¬*

Please help me to learn more……………

¬*

Your Ramesh Gandhi

at ramesh.kbvr@gmail.com

D√Ąrshana

Old 12-16-2009, 06:07 AM
Andrew Farris

On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 12:16 +0530, ramesh gandhi wrote:
> I am the starter to Ubuntu.
>
> I want to know the followings:
>
> 1)Is it possible to install .exe files in Ubuntu? And how?

yes, using a package called "wine". to install it, go to Applications >
Ubuntu Software Center. and search for 'wine', install it, then before
you first use it, configure it by going to Applications > Wine >
Configure Wine. simply launching the configurator once is sufficient to
generate the necessary information, and you can safely close the dialog
after it opens and begin running programs.

> 2)what are the executable files in Ubuntu.

Ubuntu, and linux in general, executable files are called ELF files
(Executable Linux Files, I believe) though binaries of this type are
typically without extension. You shouldn't ever have to run one of these
by themselves, unless you know what you're doing.

> 3)how to install a new software in Ubuntu with out having internet?

For that, you should download/order the Ubuntu DVD. It comes with the
'main' repository, allowing for installation of canonical-supported
applications from the CD. for other repositories/software, you would
need to either make or order an offline repository, or downlaod the .deb
files for the programs you want yourself (not recommended unless you
know what you're doing).

> 4)how to edit or access the source code of Ubuntu or any application
> source code?

to get the source code of an application, you have to first enable the
source repo (System > Administration > Software Sources | Select "Source
Code" checkbox) then I believe you can look in Synaptic for your
program's name with -src or -dev appended to the end of it. to find out
where the files are, you can right-click on the package (once it's
installed) > Properties > Installed Files.

For non-compiled programs (such as those written in python, perl, ruby,
etc..) the program itself is the source code...simple open it with a
text editor.

Hope that helps!

--
Andrew

Old 12-16-2009, 08:47 AM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

> ramesh gandhi <ramesh.kbvr@gmail.com> :
> I am the starter to Ubuntu.
>
> I want to know the followings:
>
> 1)Is it possible to install .exe files in Ubuntu? And how?

This is a sample .exe file:

#!/bin/bash
echo "hi!"

Save it as test.exe, chmod it executable and you're done.

> 2)what are the executable files in Ubuntu.

At least those with "x" permission.
The file extension is not an indicator.

> 3)how to install a new software in Ubuntu with out having internet?

Having the .deb file and its dependencies.

> 4)how to edit or access the source code of Ubuntu or any application
> source code?

1į) getting the source package
2į) searching the web

+261 34 29 155 34 / +261 33 11 207 36

Old 12-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Colin Law

2009/12/16 ramesh gandhi <ramesh.kbvr@gmail.com>:
> I am the starter¬* to Ubuntu.
>
> I want to know the followings:

I found this free downloadable guide very useful when I was starting:
http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html
It is a little out of date now but 95% is still correct

Colin

Old 12-19-2009, 12:23 PM
ramesh gandhi

I want to add in your list

Old 12-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Steve Flynn

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 1:23 PM, ramesh gandhi <ramesh.ubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to add in your list

You already are.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Old 12-19-2009, 12:36 PM
"TopBot ."

lol

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 6:26 PM, Steve Flynn <anothermindbomb@gmail.com> wrote: