Old 11-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Andy Whitcroft

Default hi

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 04:46:52PM +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> Hi,list
> I want to know if some one who has done some kernel
> programming,developed some basic device driver are they eligible
> enough to be able to get with you people to work as kernel
> development online.Do you people provide some mentor ship also in such
> case.I do wish I can contribute some code but I really do not know
> what to do.
> What ever research I did for Linux Kernel part was purely based on my
> own interest.

We are always interested in any help we can get in the kernel. We have
a number of community members who help out either triaging bugs, helping
diagnose and fixing bugs, reviewing patches on the mailing list, helping
users on our IRC channel etc.

Come find us on #ubuntu-kernel IRC channel on FreeNODE and we can try
and help you get started.

-apw

Old 11-19-2010, 10:54 AM
David Henningsson

On 2010-11-19 12:16, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> Hi,list
> I want to know if some one who has done some kernel
> programming,developed some basic device driver are they eligible
> enough to be able to get with you people to work as kernel
> development online.Do you people provide some mentor ship also in such
> case.I do wish I can contribute some code but I really do not know
> what to do.

Hi Tapas, and welcome!

I'd recommend you to start to do things that are you're interested in,
and that is related to hardware you have physical access to - that's
usually easier than trying to help out with remote stuff.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic

Old 11-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 5:24 PM, David Henningsson
<david.henningsson@canonical.com> wrote:

> I'd recommend you to start to do things that are you're interested in, and
> that is related to hardware you have physical access to - that's usually
> easier than trying to help out with remote stuff.

I am specially interested for the wireless drivers area
I had a look at the relevant page
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.tags_combinator=ALL&field.tag=kernel-net+kernel-needs-review
but I am having only my laptop and this laptop is Dell Inspiron 1440.
So this may not serve the purpose.I have never fixed a bug till today
in my life but I do wish to fix these ,(at least I want to try) So any
other ideas you suggest.

--
http://mightydreams.blogspot.com

Old 11-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Lee Jones

> http://mightydreams.blogspot.com

I believe the driver you speak of already exists.

Issue these commands to activate it:
sudo rmmod b43
sudo modprobe b43 pio=1 qos=0

Old 11-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Tapas Mishra

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Lee Jones <lee.jones@canonical.com> wrote:
>> http://mightydreams.blogspot.com
>
> I believe the driver you speak of already exists.
Don't follow that blog that is just for experiments.
--
http://mightydreams.blogspot.com

Old 03-04-2011, 08:49 AM
"vishnus91"

Hi,

I thought you'd like this:
Click here

vishnus91

This email is a direct message from a friend who wants to share an item of interest with you. This email was sent by Indyarocks.com. To unsubscribe please click here.
Indyarocks Media Services Pvt. Ltd. 8-3-319/10/1, Sai Swarnalata Estates, Hyderabad, A.P, India

Old 05-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Varun Bedwal

Hi!
I desperately want to try linux but I dont have a slightest idea of linux. I m advanced window user.
Please tell me how to run wireless drivers.
My laptop is HP pavillion dv6 with windows 7.
Broadcom bcm4312 is driver.

Please send me full instruction.
I tried everything available on net
and I suppose I dont know how to use them. I went through all forums etc
etc but nothing happening..
Please Help

Old 05-04-2011, 12:36 PM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"

04/05/2011 14:05, Varun Bedwal wrote:
> Broadcom bcm4312

Hi, I don't have this wireless chip right now but I would recommend reading:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Ubuntu.2BAC8-Debian

And, if the first link doesn't provide you with a solution:

http://linux.aldeby.org/howto-ubuntu-linux-on-hp-pavilion-dv2000-dv6000-dv9000-series-laptops.html/4#wireless

(go to "broadcom wireless").

Ideally you will require Internet access (through Ethernet cable) to set
up your wireless chip. As a workaround you can download necessary
packages and dependencies from http://packages.ubuntu.com/ .

Old 05-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Varun Bedwal

Thanks
But now i m having dependencies problem
what to do?

Old 05-04-2011, 03:10 PM
user1

On Wed, 04 May 2011 17:35:55 +0530, Varun Bedwal wrote:

> Hi!
> I desperately want to try linux but I dont have a slightest idea of
> linux. I m advanced window user.

http://releases.ubuntu.com/natty/

Here you can download a ubuntu 11.04 natty iso image.

Burn this into a live cd.

Then boot your pc with this live cd and try linux (do not install at this
stage).