Old 11-20-2007, 04:13 AM
"Shu Hung (Koala)"

Default How to get GRUB boot on software raid?

Hello,

I've building a new /boot partition on a software raid 5.

I built a software raid (/dev/md0) on top of sda1, sdb1, sdc1 and sdd1 with mdadm.
I did the mkfs job well. Then I mounted it on /mnt, copied all files from /boot to it, and unmounted.

Everything is fine.

Now is my real problem:
(1) I need to get my grub to boot with that /boot partition
(2) I need to get fstab to mount it automatically

How could I do that?
Please tell me. Thanks!

Regards,
Koala Yeung

Old 11-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Rashkae

Shu Hung (Koala) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've building a new /boot partition on a software raid 5.
>
> I built a software raid (/dev/md0) on top of sda1, sdb1, sdc1 and sdd1 with
> mdadm.
> I did the mkfs job well. Then I mounted it on /mnt, copied all files from
> /boot to it, and unmounted.
> Everything is fine.
>
> Now is my real problem:
> (1) I need to get my grub to boot with that /boot partition
> (2) I need to get fstab to mount it automatically
>
> How could I do that?
> Please tell me. Thanks!

You cannot. The best you can do with the boot partition is make it raid 1.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:33 AM
"Shu Hung (Koala)"

The problem changed then ... how do I boot from a /boot on a software raid 1?

Koala Yeung

On Nov 20, 2007 11:48 PM, Ralf Doering <rdoering@netsys-it.de
> wrote:
"Shu Hung (Koala)" <
koalay@gmail.com> writes:

> I've building a new /boot partition on a software raid 5.
>
> I built a software raid (/dev/md0) on top of sda1, sdb1, sdc1 and sdd1 with
> mdadm.

[...]

> Now is my real problem:
> (1) I need to get my grub to boot with that /boot partition

The simple answer is: you can't do that. grub is not able to boot from a

software raid5. You can build a raid1 for /boot (maybe with 2 spares as you
already have 4 devices at hand) and boot that.

Ralf

Old 12-10-2007, 07:12 AM
Guillaume

Shu Hung (Koala) a écrit :
> The problem changed then ... how do I boot from a /boot on a software
> raid 1?

You just have to install grub in mbr of all disk
with something like grub-install /dev/sda, then /dev/sdb, etc...

And in the config file specify your md device as root file system

You also need a valid initrd image with software raid1 module