Old 12-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Willis

Default Network question

I did the /itchus desktop /upgrade and I got a perfectly useful Bible
application. If I go from my windows unit I can access all the
computers and printers on the network. I can even go into my files on
the Ubuntu unit that are shared.

Form this computer I see the Windows Network but it is empty and at the
root of my network, before the upgrade, I saw all the shared folders on
the Windows units as well as the Windows Network Icon. I cannot seem to
find the answer anywhere, any suggestions?

Old 12-01-2007, 10:44 PM
James Takac

On Sunday 02 December 2007 09:04:52 Willis wrote:
> I did the /itchus desktop /upgrade and I got a perfectly useful Bible
> application. If I go from my windows unit I can access all the
> computers and printers on the network. I can even go into my files on
> the Ubuntu unit that are shared.
>
> Form this computer I see the Windows Network but it is empty and at the
> root of my network, before the upgrade, I saw all the shared folders on
> the Windows units as well as the Windows Network Icon. I cannot seem to
> find the answer anywhere, any suggestions?

Hi Willis

I had a similar prob a while back and couldn't find anything via google. I
ended up opening synaptic package manager and searching thru for smb and
samba installing those which suggested windows shares use. Eventually I got
my windows shares back up to scratch. It may be that something else needs to
be added to complete it for you as well

James

Old 04-05-2008, 09:46 AM
ionut cucu

I had a buddy in my lan with whom I shared files and such. But recently
our campus network management decided to give our my dorm building
another external ip, and put a firewall( I think) between us. So now
instead of both of us having the same 141.85.0.75 I now have
141.85.0.76. So my question is, being a n00b and all, what can I use in
order to restore the direct connection? I asked my only physical
present network admin but apparently his only role is pugin computers
in switches and give us an ip so he doesn't know nothing. I did a nmap
on the gateway but I've only found 53/tcp open. I wouldn't wanna revert
to skype or other 3rd party computers since, I guess, it will
segnificantlly lower our transfer speeds, requier bothe our
presence...etc. So what way should I be heading here? Any advice is
welcome!Thanks!

Old 04-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Uwe Thiem

On Saturday 05 April 2008, ionut cucu wrote:
> I had a buddy in my lan with whom I shared files and such. But
> recently our campus network management decided to give our my dorm
> building another external ip, and put a firewall( I think) between
> us. So now instead of both of us having the same 141.85.0.75 I now
> have 141.85.0.76. So my question is, being a n00b and all, what can
> I use in order to restore the direct connection? I asked my only
> physical present network admin but apparently his only role is
> pugin computers in switches and give us an ip so he doesn't know
> nothing. I did a nmap on the gateway but I've only found 53/tcp
> open. I wouldn't wanna revert to skype or other 3rd party computers
> since, I guess, it will segnificantlly lower our transfer speeds,
> requier bothe our presence...etc. So what way should I be heading
> here? Any advice is welcome!Thanks!

If only 53 is open, you are pretty much out of luck except for two
possible solutions:

1. The social solution
You grab a huge bag of gummy bears, carry them to your real network
administrator and ask him to poke a hole for you and your buddy into
the firewalls.

2. The technical solution
You get a box completely outside your compus's network into which both
of you can ssh.

Uwe

--
Informal Linux Group Namibia:
http://www.linux.org.na/

Old 04-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Anthony Metcalf

Uwe Thiem wrote:

[...]

Or you get a long cross-over cable, and or long cable +
switch......Depend how far your computers are physically seperated.

Out of interest, what happens if you nmap your buddies IP and your own
from his box?

Old 04-05-2008, 02:32 PM
ionut cucu

On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 14:45:21 +0100
Anthony Metcalf <anthony.metcalf@anferny.ath.cx> wrote:

> Uwe Thiem wrote:
> > On Saturday 05 April 2008, ionut cucu wrote:
> >
> >> I had a buddy in my lan with whom I shared files and such. But
> >> recently our campus network management decided to give our my dorm
> >> building another external ip, and put a firewall( I think) between
> >> us. So now instead of both of us having the same 141.85.0.75 I now
> >> have 141.85.0.76. So my question is, being a n00b and all, what can
> >> I use in order to restore the direct connection? I asked my only
> >> physical present network admin but apparently his only role is
> >> pugin computers in switches and give us an ip so he doesn't know
> >> nothing. I did a nmap on the gateway but I've only found 53/tcp
> >> open. I wouldn't wanna revert to skype or other 3rd party computers
> >> since, I guess, it will segnificantlly lower our transfer speeds,
> >> requier bothe our presence...etc. So what way should I be heading
> >> here? Any advice is welcome!Thanks!
> >>

> > If only 53 is open, you are pretty much out of luck except for two
> > possible solutions:
> >
> > 1. The social solution
> > You grab a huge bag of gummy bears, carry them to your real network
> > administrator and ask him to poke a hole for you and your buddy
> > into the firewalls.
> >
> > 2. The technical solution
> > You get a box completely outside your compus's network into which
> > both of you can ssh.
> >
> > Uwe
> >

> Or you get a long cross-over cable, and or long cable +
> switch......Depend how far your computers are physically seperated.
+separate nics...
> Out of interest, what happens if you nmap your buddies IP and your
> own from his box?
we can't ping nor nmap eachother

Old 04-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Anthony Metcalf

ionut cucu wrote:

On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 14:45:21 +0100
Or you get a long cross-over cable, and or long cable +
switch......Depend how far your computers are physically seperated.

+separate nics...

Well, that depends on how permanent a connection you want.....

Out of interest, what happens if you nmap your buddies IP and your
own from his box?

we can't ping nor nmap eachother

Nasty.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Joseph

Or you get a long cross-over cable, and or long cable + switch......Depend
how far your computers are physically seperated.

Out of interest, what happens if you nmap your buddies IP and your own from
his box?

Same question, how far are your computers are physically separated; you could put wireless router.

--
#Joseph
GPG KeyID: ED0E1FB7

Old 04-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Stroller

to skype or other 3rd party computers since, I guess, it will
segnificantlly lower our transfer speeds ...

That may well not be the case - it's at least worth trying.

Stroller.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:35 PM
ann kok

Hi

How can I clear the arp cache?

and

ls it possible to setup 2 gateways in centos

Thank you for your help