Old 06-01-2008, 01:57 PM
"Eric Hedekar"

Default Challenge/Declaration: June Is Documentation Month!

This is a one-time announcement, please see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=814808 for further discussion.

Okay, so recently Prismatic7 pointed out that the Community Documentation of UbuntuStudio https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio
is getting a little out of date in some spots (like manually entering
the realtime permissions), and is completely absent in other spots
(there's a link to music notation, but the page doesn't even exist -
there ARE multiple notation programs in UbuntuStuio).

SO, to fix this, the whole community needs to chip in. If the work load
is spread evenly around then it will take no time at all to document
the features of UbuntuStudio. After all, this is the most popular
multimedia-specific linux distribution EVER!!! (or at least according
to distrowatch) In fact, when I put it in those terms, that community
documentation truly seems sad and decrepit. Thus,

*I HEREBY DECLARE JUNE TO BE DOCUMENTATION MONTH FOR THE UBUNTU STUDIO COMMUNITY!!!!!

I, with the lack of authority vested in me, challenge every member of the community to step up and
pitch in. Edit that documentation to be a shining example of
user-friendly help. Even the newbiest of newbs can help by simply
pointing out what they'd like to see, or even starting to write it
themselves (it's a wiki, so others can correct any mistakes you make).

Here are some ideas to kick start you:

-take a look through what's there already, fill gaps and fix errors

-list some helpful hints on ladspa plugins (warbread, could you organize this listing to be user-friendly?)

-explain video... ...anything! (the current video page is empty!)

-talk about firewire and ffado (it's in beta testing stages)

-explain workarounds for audacity/pulseaudio issues

-walk a beginner through a recording setup

-walk a beginner through a soft synth setup

-explain vst installation

Try to edit a page every three days (or more!!) for the month of June.
Beginners can do a page a week. No actual commitment of time is
enforceable, but set yourself a goal and try to help.

We can use this thread for discussion of more ideas, requests for
pages, and other such general discussion. I would suggest that we keep
specific discussions on page-related topic to those page's respective
"talk pages" but I couldn't seem to see any such pages (did I miss
them?) so I guess that's kosher for this thread too, though that could
get messy (we'll cross that bridge when we get there).

So I say unto you: Go forth and document!!