Old 06-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Ricardo Filipe Soares Garcia da Silva

Default creating a gnome session for studio

Hello list
I'd like to ask your help in creating a separate GNOME session tailored
for studio work.

Let me explain my situation: I have a laptop which I use for all
purposes. Currently I am runing Ubuntu with ubuntustudio packages. I'd
like to be able to have a custom GNOME session just for working with
audio apps. That means disabling useless/unwanted deamons, not using
compiz as a window manager, and other things of the sort.

1- So is this possible/worth doing?
2- How would I go about doing it?
3- What things would be worth disabling/turning off?

Maybe some of you will just advise me to create a new user specifically
for audio work instead of a new session, but I'd like to avoid that
because I think a new session would be more flexible for me.

Thank you so much for your help

Old 06-02-2008, 01:56 AM
"adam faranda"

I think this is a really interesting idea. I would imagine thatusing a stripped down GNOME session could free up considerable*resources for synthesis and signal processing. I will add one more thing
to that list; a way to bypass, or even remove pulseaudio from an 8.04 build.*Pulseaudio actually seems like a really cool system for routing soundover a network, but when I tried to use jack with it I got multiple Xruns every few
seconds. It may be that there is some other issue that has nothing to do with pulse,but I am still wet behind the ears when it comes to linux, and I haven't even fullycome to terms with the Jack -> Alsa -> Crappy_Intel _Sound_card cascade. Trying to
trouble shoot a Pulse OR Jack -> Alsa -> Crappy_Intel_sound_card seems daunting. *

Old 06-02-2008, 11:02 PM
simone

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 2:56 AM, adam faranda <adam.faranda@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this is a really interesting idea. I would imagine that
> using a stripped down GNOME session could free up considerable

i d say go for xfce directly

> resources for synthesis and signal processing. I will add one more thing
> to that list; a way to bypass, or even remove pulseaudio from an 8.04
> build.
> Pulseaudio actually seems like a really cool system for routing sound
> over a network, but when I tried to use jack with it I got multiple Xruns
> every few
> seconds. It may be that there is some other issue that has nothing to do
> with pulse,
> but I am still wet behind the ears when it comes to linux, and I haven't
> even fully
> come to terms with the Jack -> Alsa -> Crappy_Intel _Sound_card cascade.
> Trying to
> trouble shoot a Pulse OR Jack -> Alsa -> Crappy_Intel_sound_card seems
> daunting.

.wmv , .wma , .pps along with all proprietary Windows formats won t be
accepted and/or viewed....

Old 06-02-2008, 11:32 PM
"Chris Wenn"

I think this is a really interesting idea. I would imagine thatusing a stripped down GNOME session could free up considerable*resources for synthesis and signal processing. I will add one more thing

to that list; a way to bypass, or even remove pulseaudio from an 8.04 build.*
use 'pasuspender qjackctl'

pasuspender halts pulseaudio while the application is running, then reloads it - mostly useful for a multi-purpose machine (like mine)

Old 06-03-2008, 02:18 AM
Luke Yelavich

Old 06-03-2008, 03:18 AM
"Chris Wenn"