Old 05-31-2008, 01:03 PM
Chris Wenn

Default More Problems

OK

I now have a firewire ExpressCard - the cheapest I could get, because
they're VERY expensive here! lspci shows:

0e:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB82AA2 IEEE-1394b Link
Layer Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
Subsystem: Unknown device 0ee4:3884
Memory at ecc04000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
Memory at ecc00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]

So NOT Ricoh!

I have to disable the onboard 1394 to get gscanbus and freeBoB to
recognise the device, which is fine and no big deal, plus there was some
fiddling to get ExpressCard support (add 'pciehp pciehp_force=1'
to /etc/modules)

Now, when I start jackd (jackd -R -vv -d freebob) i get

server `default' registered
registered builtin port type 32 bit float mono audio
registered builtin port type 8 bit raw midi
clock source = system clock via clock_gettime
new client: freebob_pcm, id = 1 type 1 @ 0x806ff40 fd = -1
Freebob using Firewire port 0, node -1
new buffer size 1024
LibFreeBoB MSG: FreeBoB Streaming Device Init
LibFreeBoB MSG: Using FreeBoB lib version libfreebob 1.0.7
LibFreeBoB MSG: Device information:
LibFreeBoB MSG: Device options:
LibFreeBoB MSG: Port : 0
LibFreeBoB MSG: Device Node Id : -1
LibFreeBoB MSG: Samplerate : 48000
LibFreeBoB MSG: Period Size : 1024
LibFreeBoB MSG: Nb Buffers : 3
LibFreeBoB MSG: Directions : 0
showDevice: not implemented
FreeBoB MSG: Register MIDI IN port dev1c_Midi In
FreeBoB MSG: Register MIDI OUT port dev1p_Midi Out
FreeBoB MSG: Streaming thread running with Realtime scheduling, priority
14
FreeBoB MSG: Registering audio capture port C0_dev1c_Rec 1
FreeBoB MSG: Registering audio capture port C1_dev1c_Rec 2
FreeBoB MSG: Registering audio capture port C2_dev1c_Rec 3
FreeBoB MSG: Registering audio capture port C3_dev1c_Rec 4
FreeBoB MSG: Registering audio capture port C4_dev1c_Rec 5
FreeBoB MSG: Registering audio capture port C5_dev1c_Rec 6
FreeBoB MSG: Don't register capture port for dev1c_Midi In
FreeBoB MSG: Registering playback audio port P0_dev1p_Play 1
FreeBoB MSG: Registering playback audio port P1_dev1p_Play 2
FreeBoB MSG: Registering playback audio port P2_dev1p_Play 3
FreeBoB MSG: Registering playback audio port P3_dev1p_Play 4
FreeBoB MSG: Registering playback audio port P4_dev1p_Play 5
FreeBoB MSG: Registering playback audio port P5_dev1p_Play 6
FreeBoB MSG: Registering playback audio port P6_dev1p_Play 7
FreeBoB MSG: Registering playback audio port P7_dev1p_Play 8
FreeBoB MSG: Don't register playback port dev1p_Midi Out
registered port system:capture_1, offset = 4096
registered port system:capture_2, offset = 8192
registered port system:capture_3, offset = 12288
registered port system:capture_4, offset = 16384
registered port system:capture_5, offset = 20480
registered port system:capture_6, offset = 24576
registered port systemlayback_1, offset = 0
registered port systemlayback_2, offset = 0
registered port systemlayback_3, offset = 0
registered port systemlayback_4, offset = 0
registered port systemlayback_5, offset = 0
registered port systemlayback_6, offset = 0
registered port systemlayback_7, offset = 0
registered port systemlayback_8, offset = 0
++ jack_rechain_graph():
client freebob_pcm: internal client, execution_order=0.
-- jack_rechain_graph()
FreeBoB MSG: MIDI threads running with Realtime scheduling, priority 13
FreeBoB MSG: MIDI queue thread started
libiec61883 warning: Established connection on channel 0.
You may need to manually set the channel on the receiving node.
libiec61883 warning: Established connection on channel 1.
You may need to manually set the channel on the transmitting node.
21087 waiting for signals
Aborted

The device clicks as if it's starting, then jack aborts a moment later.

WHAT IS GOING ON?!

Old 06-02-2008, 06:08 AM
Ming

You might want to check the physical connections (firewire cables /
adapters, etc). I've had my Saffire LE plays mp3 for about an hour
non-stop ( on 48 KHz), without any problem
I'm using studio hardy 32 bit on Asus A8E notebook (which has Ricoh
firewire). The only problem I found is sometimes JACK failed to start,
but when I rearrange the cable position, it works again... so I
suspect that it's a problem with my cable. My notebook only have a
4-pin firewire, so I can't use the 6-to-6 pin firewire cable supplied
with Saffire LE. So I got myself a 6-to-4 pin firewire cable. It's
this cable that I suspect to have a low quality. Two weird things I
noticed about Saffire LE and JACK:
1. It just won't work on 44.1KHz, mine only works at 48 and 96 KHz.
2. I need to set the number of max I/O channel both to 64. QJackCtl's
max value of 32 just don't work, so I have to modify QJackCtl's config
file.

Hope it helps

=======================================

Old 06-02-2008, 07:24 AM
Hartmut Noack

Old 06-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Chris Wenn

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 09:24 +0200, Hartmut Noack wrote:

> basically all external devices - be it USB or FW, need periods/buffer
> set to 3 instead of 2.
>
> The jack-settings, that work for my Presonus Firebox in 64Studio are:
>
> /usr/bin/jackd -R -v -t1000 -dfreebob -r96000 -p256 -n3
>
> this builds a session running with 8ms latency, for live-recordings
> - -p512 may be better/more stable.
>
> In Ubntu Studio whatsoever, the Firebox is kicked 2-3 times per hour so
> I can only say, that it works basically and that there is a Debian-based
> distro out there, in which I can run this production-stable....

Thanks for the tips, both of you, but no dice.

My jackdrc already has -n3 set, and changing the -i and -o switches for
freebob is a) ineffectual and b) currently ignored by the driver anyway

I'm going to try the 64Studio liveCD and see if i get any change

Old 06-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Chris Wenn

OK.

Booting to 64Studio gave better verbose logging from jackd particularly
here:

new client: qjackctl-7381, id = 2 type 2 @ 0xb6d44000 fd = 15
++ jack_rechain_graph():
client freebob_pcm: internal client, execution_order=0.
client qjackctl-7381: start_fd=5, execution_order=0.
client qjackctl-7381: wait_fd=14, execution_order=1 (last client).
-- jack_rechain_graph()
JACK tmpdir identified as [/dev/shm]
zombified - calling shutdown handler
11:45:20.906 MIDI connection graph change.
11:45:20.907 Shutdown notification.
11:45:20.908 Client deactivated.
11:45:20.909 JACK was stopped successfully.
11:45:20.909 Post-shutdown script...

I'm getting zombified and kicked... any ideas?

Old 06-04-2008, 07:16 AM
Hartmut Noack

Old 06-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Chris Wenn

> Yeah - voodoo ;-)
> try running jack from a commandline and start qjackctl afterwards (jackd
> is shown then as active all the ports can be managed as usual...)
>
> This helped the case for me at least...

The problem is that jack is crashing within a second of being started,
so by the time qjackctl has launched there's no session to attach to.

But I'm not even getting that far now:

Jun 4 20:18:44 zakalwe NetworkManager: <debug> [1212574724.900833]
nm_hal_device_added(): New device added (hal udi is
'/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ieee1394_guid_130e0100041bbc_0').
Jun 4 20:19:20 zakalwe kernel: [ 4666.599404] ieee1394: Node changed:
0-01:1023 -> 0-00:1023
Jun 4 20:19:20 zakalwe kernel: [ 4666.599419] ieee1394: Node suspended:
ID:BUS[0-00:1023] GUID[00130e0100041bbc]
Jun 4 20:19:22 zakalwe kernel: [ 4670.243392] ieee1394: Error parsing
configrom for node 0-00:1023
Jun 4 20:19:22 zakalwe kernel: [ 4670.244125] ieee1394: Node changed:
0-00:1023 -> 0-01:1023
Jun 4 20:19:24 zakalwe kernel: [ 4672.164836] doh, someone wants to
mess with state set
Jun 4 20:19:24 zakalwe kernel: [ 4672.303844] ieee1394: Node resumed:
ID:BUS[0-00:1023] GUID[00130e0100041bbc]

The device seems to crash - around the point the syslog message says
'Node suspended'...

This is really pissing me off. I don't want to have to go back to
windows after three years of linux use just because a device that is
listed as working WON'T WORK!

Old 06-06-2008, 09:13 AM
"antoine clémot"

Hello,

I've just moved from Hardy to Studio 64. I had really too much problem with jackd using my Firewire card edirol FA101 (always crashing, qjackctl indicating 30% of work while there is no more soft' running....)

I installed the AMD64 version and jack works perfectly well. When starting jackd, it is now written that it's using SSE2 library, it wasn't the case with Ubuntu studio : is it important???

No answers expected but I just wanted to say that I'm happy now

Old 06-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Hartmut Noack