Old 05-29-2008, 04:49 AM
"joe atanacio"

Default 44K vs 96K and so on

Hey folks for all of the fretting we do recording at various sampling rates with all kinds of hardware I thought the group would appreciate this article.It may help us make some decisions as we buy stuff to do stuff.

http://mixonline.com/recording/mixing/audio_emperors_new_sampling/
--
Joe

Old 05-30-2008, 06:05 PM
"Andrew Oikle"

I clearly hear the difference when I record my music at 48khz vs. 44.1khz.* Another extremely important thing to know about sampling rates and multitrack recording and effect plug-in chains (a mastering engineer told me), is data bits get mangled in the process, so the higher the sampling rate the more accurate interpolation you get.* He basically told me, I should have recorded my project at least at 48khz but ideally 96khz.* It sounds like the article only applies to two track final mixdowns.* I still hear a difference.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:20 PM
jeremija

i agree on that one
plugins and all internal processing, recordin, editing and so on... IS
better 2 do as high as possible (today 24-96) - it is more precise and
higher freqs are nicer.
but for the "end-user" cd quality i really ok.
in the article people tested end-products (mastered cds and dvds), and i
agree there too. - mastered cd sounds really good.
my oppinion on it
nikola
p.s. dont we all hear mp3s today?

Old 05-30-2008, 10:08 PM
"joe atanacio"

I think I can hear the difference too but to be honest I've never been put threw a double blind test to see if I really am right.

at the end of the day the point I was hoping to make is for the many of our projects, 44K works fine.

In the spirit of cost effective solutions like Ubuntu Studio, 44K is less demanding on the systems.* So we should be able to get less powerful and less expensive systems to work well.

For those of us who want to use a higher sampling rate....go for it!* But for those of us who wont, no worries.

Joe