Old 05-22-2008, 06:28 AM
Nick Steeves

Default backing up video to tape (DDS)

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience backing up video to tape.
Supposing you waited many hours to render a project, and wanted a backup
of the output video (for long-term archive purposes) in addition to the
project, how would you backup the video? Would you just "tar
-cf /dev/nst0 your_video" ? Is tar really the best solution for backing
up video to tape, or does anyone do things differently?

Best regards,
Nick

Old 05-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Dave Ricketzz

Tape? What is "tape"?

Old 05-27-2008, 04:29 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 05-30-2008, 06:50 AM
Nick Steeves

Hi,

I've just been using a Travan 20 (10GB) drive, which is cheap if one
keeps an eye open for ebay deals...after the cost of shipping, less
than $1 is often possible. At the New Media lab at my university,
they use some varant of Sony's AIT, but AIT is too expensive for me.
It is the same with the wonders of DLT...maybe someday!

I've been using tar to happily backup my ~8-9GB rendered videos, and
yes, I could use amanda or bacula, although I wonder if they'd be more
efficient... Funny thing about ebay deals on 10GB Travan cartridges
is that they're slightly cheaper than quality DL DVD media (and I
trust tape more than DVD for some reason). When I need greater
capacity, I might upgrade to DAT 72, though I will now consider drobo,
or some other RAID system.

Should I just choose my to-be-exported video codec carefully, in the meantime?

Nick