Old 05-20-2008, 12:37 PM
jacques

Default sound card

Good morning
I want to buy a sound card usb Edirol UA-4FX and I want to know if there
are no problems in ubuntu, thank you for your experiences.
Jacques

Old 05-20-2008, 01:35 PM

On Tue, 20 May 2008 14:37:26 +0200
jacques <jactib@free.fr> wrote:

> Good morning
> I want to buy a sound card usb Edirol UA-4FX and I want to know if
> there are no problems in ubuntu, thank you for your experiences.
> Jacques

Check on http://alsa-project.org/ and/or http://qbik.ch/usb/devices/

Best Regards,
Philipp

Old 11-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Tamas Hegedus

Hi,

I have an integrated intel sound card: 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)

On Fedora I could install it after downloading the source code from
alsa-project.org:

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-hda-intel

I have problem doing it on debian/lenny.
I do not know what else I should install. It seems I also need
pulseaudio, alsa plugin for pulseaudio...

If I try to start amixer:
ALSA lib control.c:874snd_ctl_open_conf) Cannot open shared library
/usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_ctl_pulse.so

****
I do not find a page how to track down problems with sound card
installation, what I need... (e.g. it seems that if I need pulse audio
then configuration files has to be created manually...)

Any suggestion how to do soundcard installation&troubleshooting?
For non-expert :-)

Thanks a lot in advance,
tamas

Old 11-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Tamas Hegedus

Thanks!

Since I made some trials with the source I did the following:

1. "make uninstall" for all the alsa-* source dir I had tried to install
2. aptitude purge alsa-base alsa-utils
3. aptitude install alsa-base alsa-utils libesd-alsa0
4. "alsaconf": I got the message: "no supported PnP or PCI card found"
I think I do not have the "snd-hda-intel" driver.
FATAL: Could not open
'/lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko': No
such file or directory

Any further suggestion?
Thanks a lot in advance, again.
tamas

Bogdan wrote:

Tamas Hegedus wrote:

[...]

Hello,

Try this:

#apt-get install alsa-base alsa-utils libesd-alsa0

( if libesd-alsa0 does not exist, then omit it ).

Then

#alsaconf

After that, your sound card should work flawlessly.
These are the steps I also do get my Intel audio card to work in Debian.

Good luck,

Old 11-16-2008, 09:38 PM
lee

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 03:51:37PM -0500, Tamas Hegedus wrote:

> 3. aptitude install alsa-base alsa-utils libesd-alsa0
> 4. "alsaconf": I got the message: "no supported PnP or PCI card found"
> I think I do not have the "snd-hda-intel" driver.
> FATAL: Could not open
> '/lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko': No
> such file or directory

You are missing the kernel module for your soundcard, which is
probably snd_hda_intel. To get this module, you can change the kernel
configuration and compile and install your kernel.

Here is a list of modules you'll probably need (*_oss are optional, but
some games need them to have sound):

cat:/home/lee/forms# lsmod
Module Size Used by
snd_pcm_oss 35936 0
snd_mixer_oss 14528 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_hda_intel 361612 0
snd_pcm 61124 2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel
snd_page_alloc 7240 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
snd_hwdep 6916 1 snd_hda_intel
snd_seq 47984 0
snd_timer 19272 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 6284 1 snd_seq
snd 47972 8 snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,
snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm,snd_hwdep,
snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore 5920 1 snd

Old 11-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Thierry Chatelet

On Sunday 16 November 2008 23:38:56 lee wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 03:51:37PM -0500, Tamas Hegedus wrote:
> > 3. aptitude install alsa-base alsa-utils libesd-alsa0
> > 4. "alsaconf": I got the message: "no supported PnP or PCI card found"
> > I think I do not have the "snd-hda-intel" driver.
> > FATAL: Could not open
> > '/lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko': No
> > such file or directory
>
> You are missing the kernel module for your soundcard, which is
> probably snd_hda_intel. To get this module, you can change the kernel
> configuration and compile and install your kernel.
>
> Here is a list of modules you'll probably need (*_oss are optional, but
> some games need them to have sound):

Maybe using module-assistant to add the module to the kernel would be easier

Old 11-17-2008, 01:50 AM
Bogdan

--
ing. Bogdan MARIAN
Timisoara, ROMANIA

Old 11-17-2008, 02:55 AM
"Kelly Clowers"

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 2:50 PM, Thierry Chatelet <tchatelet@free.fr> wrote:
> On Sunday 16 November 2008 23:38:56 lee wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 03:51:37PM -0500, Tamas Hegedus wrote:
>> > 3. aptitude install alsa-base alsa-utils libesd-alsa0
>> > 4. "alsaconf": I got the message: "no supported PnP or PCI card found"
>> > I think I do not have the "snd-hda-intel" driver.
>> > FATAL: Could not open
>> > '/lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko': No
>> > such file or directory
>>
>> You are missing the kernel module for your soundcard, which is
>> probably snd_hda_intel. To get this module, you can change the kernel
>> configuration and compile and install your kernel.
>>
>> Here is a list of modules you'll probably need (*_oss are optional, but
>> some games need them to have sound):
>>

> Maybe using module-assistant to add the module to the kernel would be easier

That or just make && make install the alsa driver from source, which is also
pretty easy.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 11-17-2008, 03:10 AM
"Kelly Clowers"

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Tamas Hegedus <hegedus@med.unc.edu> wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> Since I made some trials with the source I did the following:
>
> 1. "make uninstall" for all the alsa-* source dir I had tried to install
> 2. aptitude purge alsa-base alsa-utils
> 3. aptitude install alsa-base alsa-utils libesd-alsa0
> 4. "alsaconf": I got the message: "no supported PnP or PCI card found"

Don't use alsaconf, it only applies in a few situations. The alsa devs
recently discussed removing it, due to users not understanding its
proper usage. Ubuntu has removed it:

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 11-17-2008, 08:30 AM
lee

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 11:50:24PM +0100, Thierry Chatelet wrote:

> Maybe using module-assistant to add the module to the kernel would be easier

What is module-assistant?