Old 05-19-2008, 08:00 AM
"laurent.bellegarde"

Default good sound card for beginners

Hi everyone,

for beginners, not using professionals settings in audio but loooking
for good, cheaper and working out of the box sound card under GNU/Linux
ubuntu studio, you have

- terratec aureon 5.1 PCI - 19 euros for desktop computer

- terratec aureon 5.1 USB MK2 - 49 euros for desktop and laptop computer.

nothing to do to work fine with alsa, pulseaudio or jack.

Bye,

Laurent from France...

Old 05-20-2008, 12:47 PM
"Christopher Stamper"

What does everyone think about just using a regular pci sound card?

I have a average, SoundBlaster PCI512 that Ive been using. What's the downside, and how is that card any better? Besides the obvious 5.1...

for beginners, not using professionals settings in audio but loooking

for good, cheaper and working out of the box sound card under GNU/Linux

ubuntu studio, you have

- terratec aureon 5.1 PCI - 19 euros for desktop computer

- terratec aureon 5.1 USB MK2 - 49 euros for desktop and laptop computer.

nothing to do to work fine with alsa, pulseaudio or jack.

Bye,

Laurent from France...

Christopher Stamper

Email: christopherstamper@gmail.com
Web: http://tinyurl.com/2ooncg

gTalk: http://tinyurl.com/6e359r
Skype: cdstamper

Old 05-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Matthew Polashek

There are latency issues with my soundblaster.

Matthew Polashekmatt@tinysongs.net908.642.5770www.tinysong s.netwww.JandMJazz.comwww.bldband.com
On May 20, 2008, at 8:47 AM, Christopher Stamper wrote:What does everyone think about just using a regular pci sound card?

Old 05-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Mark Stuart Burge

The soundblaster live and live value cards work very well with linux and
can operate at pretty low latency.

They don't need any manual configuration (apart from maybe choosing
which channels you want displayed in your mixer)

A nice advantage with those is the ability to load soundfonts into the
wavetable, so you don't need to run a software synth to do basic midi
work. (obviously the quality is not professional, but it is good enough
for composing and learning) - In fact, back in the day it was good
enough to produce a backing track for live performance.

Approx price on ebay would be around $10

Old 05-20-2008, 04:38 PM
"Christopher Stamper"

A nice advantage with those is the ability to load soundfonts into the

wavetable, so you don't need to run a software synth to do basic midi

work. (obviously the quality is not professional, but it is good enough

for composing and learning) - In fact, back in the day it was good

enough to produce *a backing track for live performance.

They don't really have enough onboard space to load any real soundfonts. Nothing beats a good software synth... :-)

Old 05-22-2008, 12:30 PM
"Toby Smithe"

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 5:38 PM, Christopher Stamper
<christopherstamper@gmail.com> wrote:

>> A nice advantage with those is the ability to load soundfonts into the
>> wavetable, so you don't need to run a software synth to do basic midi
>> work. (obviously the quality is not professional, but it is good enough
>> for composing and learning) - In fact, back in the day it was good
>> enough to produce a backing track for live performance.
>
> They don't really have enough onboard space to load any real soundfonts.
> Nothing beats a good software synth... :-)

With the snd-emu10k1 driver, you can use the max_buffer_size to
specify the maximum amount of memory to allocate for SoundFonts, in
megabytes. In my /etc/modprobe.d/local file, I have the line,

options snd-emu10k1 max_buffer_size=256

which ensures that the module is loaded by default with 256 megabytes
available for the wavetable.

I then use /etc/rc.local to call asfxload, loading the fluid-soundfont
files on every boot:

asfxload -b=0 FluidR3_GM.sf2
asfxload -b=1 FluidR3_GS.sf2

Then, all that's left to do is connect devices to the synth. I find
this "beats a good software synth" every time.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:10 PM
"Christopher Stamper"

I though that the memory was real chips on the card... :-/

I think I'll try that...