Old 05-06-2008, 03:43 PM

Default Audio production and composing

On Tue, 6 May 2008 18:25:23 +0300
fokusfired <fokusfired@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I am a long time Ubuntu user, but relatively new to Ubuntu studio
> and especially audio production. I understand basic jack configuration
> and settings. But right now I don't have a midi keyboard for writing
> music. It is very difficult to write everything with mouse in the
> sequencers. Do you know a way for writing electronic music, notes
> without midi keyboard. I do not know but maybe there is an easy way to
> produces loops or editting them.
>
> Thanks

One way to work fast without a keyboard is to use a keyboard
The pc-keyboard and a tracker.
It's mostly used for electronic music but it may be possible to do
other music as well. Trackers usually work with synths and samples.
I think ubuntu studio doesn't include a tracker by default and I don't
really know which ones are good, but I would try soundtracker and
aldrin.

Best Regards
Philipp

Old 05-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Sean Edwards

Take a look at vkeybd (Virtual Keyboard).* It allows you to map your PC keyboard to notes in synths, sequencers, and MIDI connections.

It takes some getting used to, but it is better than step sequencing with a mouse!

-=Sean=-

long time Ubuntu user, but relatively new to Ubuntu studio
> and especially audio production. I understand basic jack configuration
> and settings. But right now I don't have a midi keyboard for writing
> music. It is very difficult to write everything with mouse in the
> sequencers. Do you know a way for writing electronic music, notes
> without midi keyboard. I do not know but maybe there is an easy way to
> produces loops or editting them.
>
> Thanks

One way to work fast without a keyboard is to use a keyboard
The pc-keyboard and a tracker.
It's mostly used for electronic music but it may be possible to do
other music as well. Trackers usually work with synths and samples.
I think ubuntu studio doesn't include a tracker by default and I don't
really know which ones are good, but I would try soundtracker and
aldrin.

Best Regards
***
Philipp

Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com