Old 05-05-2008, 11:29 AM
"Petter Duvander"

Default Video card suggestions?

Hi there,

I'm thinking about transferring some old stuff from VHS to .avi or DVD
via my Ubuntu Studio setup. I think probably the easiest way would be
to replace the graphics card in my Dell Dimension 8400 with something
coming with a video input. Doesn't have to be ultra mega gamer-stuff
either, preferably something fanless and an ordinary composit rca
input would do just fine. Anyone have a suggestion/experience to
share?

/ Petter

Old 05-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 05-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Bellegarde Laurent

Selon Gustin Johnson <gustin@echostar.ca>:

> I personally use a Hauppauge TV card. It has S-Video, RCA, and coax
> inputs, it also does not matter what my primary video card is.
>
> Just my 2c,

hi, if you have a dv camera recorder, it's possible to connect your old analogic
source with cinch connexion to the dv cam recorder, use the dv encoding inside
to record with a firewire card inside your computer using dvgrab and kino. It's
work fine.

There is also external encoder to DV, but there are expensive...

more infos here, but in french :
http://fr.lprod.org/wiki/doku.php?id=video:acquisition:boitier_externe

Laurent

Old 05-05-2008, 05:48 PM
"Petter Duvander"

> > I personally use a Hauppauge TV card. It has S-Video, RCA, and coax
> > inputs, it also does not matter what my primary video card is.
> >
> > Just my 2c,
>
> hi, if you have a dv camera recorder, it's possible to connect your old analogic
> source with cinch connexion to the dv cam recorder, use the dv encoding inside
> to record with a firewire card inside your computer using dvgrab and kino. It's
> work fine.
>
> There is also external encoder to DV, but there are expensive...
>
> more infos here, but in french :
> http://fr.lprod.org/wiki/doku.php?id=video:acquisition:boitier_externe

OK, so if I feel like buying a $700 camera, plus an expensive firewire
card, I'll think about that option.

Hauppage also seems a little overkill, but I'll look into that a bit more.

Anyone with more of a lowbudget version?

/ Petter

Old 05-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Andrew Hunter

Old 05-05-2008, 07:31 PM
"Petter Duvander"

> | Anyone with more of a lowbudget version?
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116633
>
> I don't think it is going to get cheaper than 59USD :P

"All features work in both linux and Vista Ultimate. It'll do for
converting all my old VHS cartoons to files."

I stand corrected, thank you sirs!

/ Petter

Old 05-06-2008, 04:02 AM
"Rob Haines"

You may want to take a look at www.linuxtv.org.* I bought a Pinnacle PCTV PCI card it has been a trial, although I have been able to get it to work.* You may want to check the hardware list before you buy.*

Cheers

Rob Haines

rahaines@gmail.com

Old 05-12-2008, 02:01 AM