Old 05-05-2008, 10:18 AM

Default Difference between CD- and Meta-Install

On Mon, 5 May 2008 06:06:58 -0400
"adam faranda" <adam.faranda@gmail.com> wrote:

> But what about the realtime kernel etc? I am still a relative newbie
> when it comes to all of this, but I thought that one of the things
> that really sets studio apart is the realtime kernel. If you were
> using the standard version of ubuntu, and simply installed all of the
> studio packages, wouldn't you still be running on the standard
> kernel? Personally, I prefer the DVD installers, because I find them
> clear, straight forward and simple to use.

You can get the rt-kernel without problems, the package is called
linux-rt. It is even recommended by the ubuntu-studio-audio package.

I don't know what the differences are, maybe cory can shed some light
on it?

Philipp

Old 05-05-2008, 02:10 PM
"Cory K."

hollunder@gmx.at wrote:
> I don't know what the differences are, maybe cory can shed some light
> on it?
>
> Philipp

Just a few things.

* It's not quite the same in that your current user will not get all
the settings we set. (new users will)
* There looks to be a upgrade issue. (System sees you as Ubuntu and
not Studio)
* Just feels messy. (obviously my OCD opinion)

Big thing is uses are using a different base. Just has made it difficult
to troubleshoot in the past.

So personally, I recommend a clean install of Studio and not just use of
our packages like -desktop or -settings.

-Cory m/

Old 05-06-2008, 09:38 AM
altern

Cory K.(e)k dio:
> hollunder@gmx.at wrote:
>> I don't know what the differences are, maybe cory can shed some light
>> on it?
>>
>> Philipp
>
> Just a few things.
>
> * It's not quite the same in that your current user will not get all
> the settings we set. (new users will)
> * There looks to be a upgrade issue. (System sees you as Ubuntu and
> not Studio)
> * Just feels messy. (obviously my OCD opinion)
>
> Big thing is uses are using a different base. Just has made it difficult
> to troubleshoot in the past.
>
> So personally, I recommend a clean install of Studio and not just use of
> our packages like -desktop or -settings.

this is interesting... I assumed that it was actually the same to
install Ubuntu and then upgrade to Studio by installing the packages.
Maybe this should be more clear on the website or somewhere visible? I
have never seen any warning about this. Many people might do the same
mistake as Ubuntu installer is more "appealing" than the old style
Debian one.

btw. anyone has succesfully created a USB memory with the Studio
installer? any wiki or howto i could have a look to? i know how to do it
with normal ubuntu but not sure about studio. my laptop does not have cd
or dvd drive.

enrike

Old 05-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Inspired12

One of the computers that we use Ubuntu Studio on is older and has no dvd rom. we have an external usb dvd but bios wont let us boot from it, so
the only way we could get ubuntu studio was to install ubuntu and then the packages. So far there have been very little complains or differences,

in the latest release the only diff i noticed is that the login screen is the hardy heron one, not the ubuntu studio. is there a package missing?

Cory K.(e)k dio:

Javier Fadul - Inspired12 // 832-922-1254 // www.armfar.com // www.inspired12.com

Old 05-13-2008, 04:55 AM
"Hector Centeno"

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Inspired12 <Inspired12@armfar.com> wrote:
> One of the computers that we use Ubuntu Studio on is older and has no dvd
> rom. we have an external usb dvd but bios wont let us boot from it, so
> the only way we could get ubuntu studio was to install ubuntu and then the
> packages. So far there have been very little complains or differences,
> in the latest release the only diff i noticed is that the login screen is
> the hardy heron one, not the ubuntu studio. is there a package missing?

Hello,

Sorry to insist, but an answer to this question would be greatly
appreciated and helpful to my upgrade planning. Could anyone please
give some more details about it? Wat are the differences between
installing Hardy and Studio on top or installing Studio from scratch?

Cheers,

Hector