Old 11-29-2007, 11:13 AM
Andrew Hunter

Default Changing permissions on raw1394

Hey everyone!

If you have not heard about it already, the Ubuntu Studio team is
looking at creating an app that would easily allow users to change
common settings that they may be currently editing by hand.[1]

One of the features that we are considering is changing the permissions
on raw1394 /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules from disk to audio or
video. This is a necessary change currently to enable firewire based
devices to work as a regular user, such as firewire sound cards and
video cameras.

The other alternative solution is to add the user to group "disk",
though this may also cause problems.

The issue with this is that it creates a rather large security risk for
the system, in that any device on the firewire bus can run with root
privileges. This risk is less of an issue for stand-alone machines that
do not use Ethernet over firewire, but is still something to consider.

I would like to stress that it _will not_ be changed by default. All
that we are considering is providing a more accessible way to modify
those settings.

In the future, when Ubuntu and by extension Ubuntu Studio move to the
new firewire stack in the kernel, this issue will be an non-issue. The
new kernel stack provides much finer granularity and control over
permissions on specific devices.

The question then I am posing to you guys is this: How many of you
already change this setting by hand?

Thanks,

Andrew

[1]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-studio-devel/2007-November/000095.html

Old 11-29-2007, 02:15 PM
"laurent.bellegarde"

Andrew Hunter a écrit :
> Hey everyone!
>
> If you have not heard about it already, the Ubuntu Studio team is
> looking at creating an app that would easily allow users to change
> common settings that they may be currently editing by hand.[1]
>
> One of the features that we are considering is changing the permissions
> on raw1394 /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules from disk to audio or
> video. This is a necessary change currently to enable firewire based
> devices to work as a regular user, such as firewire sound cards and
> video cameras.
>
> The other alternative solution is to add the user to group "disk",
> though this may also cause problems.
>
> The issue with this is that it creates a rather large security risk for
> the system, in that any device on the firewire bus can run with root
> privileges. This risk is less of an issue for stand-alone machines that
> do not use Ethernet over firewire, but is still something to consider.
>
> I would like to stress that it _will not_ be changed by default. All
> that we are considering is providing a more accessible way to modify
> those settings.
>
> In the future, when Ubuntu and by extension Ubuntu Studio move to the
> new firewire stack in the kernel, this issue will be an non-issue. The
> new kernel stack provides much finer granularity and control over
> permissions on specific devices.
>
> The question then I am posing to you guys is this: How many of you
> already change this setting by hand?

Hi,

Laurent from France, on my 2 computers, i'd done it each time by hand
with a 1394 pcmcia card Pinnacle + video camera Canon MV10 or standard
pci/1394 and the same video camera.

Many friends have to do the same by hand

Laurent