Old 11-29-2007, 07:43 AM
"Det"

Default slightly OT: My single quote key is misbehaving

> Spanish keyboard. No clue why they make the international keyboards so
> different from each other. All the latin languages should have a
> similar one and they don't. Portuguese isn't that different from
> spanish.

Latin like: derivations from the latin language? Or
Latin like: Using a latin derived character set?
Comparing Spanish and Portuguese, you're shurely right.

See: No clue why they made languages so different from each other:
Each language could be written with the same simple character set. ;-)

As a german software developer used to type in 10-finger system,
I'm always switching between german and US english keyboard layout,
because the often used special german characters (umlauts) aren't available
on the english one, OTOH typing program code (with {}[] a.s.o.) is a pain
on a german layout. Also comparing the frequency of Y and Z in these
languages, the differences are reasonable.

So: german texts in german layout, program code in english layout
absolutely makes sense. Beside that, I'm also writing spanish sometimes
(my wife originates from Spain), and trying to write a fluid text with
putting
in via the ALT-number combination feels very umcomfortable.

For me layout switching on my pc keyboard is as usual as the
dynamic button assingment on my mobile, PDA or tv remote control:
Each "mode" (application) has its own best suited layout.

KR
Det

Old 11-29-2007, 09:59 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Thursday 29 November 2007, Det wrote:
> See: No clue why they made languages so different from each other:
> Each language could be written with the same simple character set. ;-)

It is funny how it all works. I think all the characters for German and
definitely for French exist in the Spanish keyboard layout, but not for
Portuguese (the various vowels with a tilde would seem to be a deal breaker
off the top of my head, but I don't know enough Portuguese to have tried
this.)

I think it must all be a legacy from the typewriter days.

> As a german software developer used to type in 10-finger system,
> I'm always switching between german and US english keyboard layout,
> because the often used special german characters (umlauts) aren't available
> on the english one, OTOH typing program code (with {}[] a.s.o.) is a pain
> on a german layout.

Same with the Spanish layout. It's a lot faster to switch layouts than to
keep doing all the acrobatics to get a { again and again. People using a
plain English keyboard have a real advantage here, and switching is so easy
these days...

--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 11-29-2007, 12:20 PM
"Det"

> I think all the characters for German and
> definitely for French exist in the Spanish keyboard layout,

Well, the '' is missing, the umlauts are composable.
Shift plus the '-key on the english keyboard (two to the right from L)
goes to umlaut-mode, then comes the vowel.

>but not for Portuguese (the various vowels with a tilde would seem to be
> a deal breaker off the top of my head, but I don't know enough Portuguese
> to have tried this.)

They are composable too ... AltGr-4 goes to tilde mode, then the vowel a
or o.

As even the []{} chars are easier to type than in German, the Spanish
layout is
indeed the best agreement between all of them, if only one layout should be
available.

KR
Det

Old 11-29-2007, 09:37 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Thursday 29 November 2007, Det wrote:

> Well, the '' is missing, the umlauts are composable.

That's true normally. Ever since I switched to Ubuntu variants, I've had
magical weird things on AltGr+[letter] that probably aren't supposed to be
there (they seem to be the same for multiple layouts, like Greek) and there's
a there, as well as number of other unexpected symbols. I'm not sure if
that is a bug or a feature.

> Shift plus the '-key on the english keyboard (two to the right from L)
> goes to umlaut-mode, then comes the vowel.
>
> >but not for Portuguese (the various vowels with a tilde would seem to be
> > a deal breaker off the top of my head, but I don't know enough Portuguese
> > to have tried this.)
>
> They are composable too ... AltGr-4 goes to tilde mode, then the vowel a
> or o.

Not here. AltGr+4 just prints ~ directly. I have the "Spain (basic)" layout
loaded, because that's the one I grew up on.

Not that I'm going to lose any sleep over it, since I don't speak Portuguese
anyway. (Or enough German to matter.)

--
D. Michael McIntyre