Old 04-29-2008, 07:13 PM
"simone www.io-sound.org"

Default compiling jack

hallo
-jack on Ubuntu doesn t come with MIDI support
-to get MIDI support you need to compile from source, i did it before on another machine and it worked
-now i got a new laptop and when i try to compile it i get this:

io@lifebook:~/Desktop/jack-rack-1.4.6$ ./configure
checking for gawk... gawk

checking for gcc... gcc

checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes

checking for JACK... configure: error: you need jack >= 0.50.0* see http://sf.net/projects/jackit

-how is it possible that it asks for jack >= 0.50.0 when the latest stable release is 1.4.6 ?

tx
simone

-
--
.wmv , .wma , .pps along with all proprietary Windows formats won t be accepted and/or viewed....
... and by the way i won t read you FWs either, stop sending useless junk!

Old 05-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Gustin Johnson

I am not sure what you mean. I use midi nearly every day and I did not
need to recompile. What exactly is the problem you are having?

Is the snd-seq-midi module loaded?
lsmod |grep snd_seq_midi

Old 05-01-2008, 06:55 PM
"simone www.io-sound.org"

UbuntuStudio doesn t come with MIDI support in jack-rack
you have to compile from source to get it working

Old 05-02-2008, 03:44 AM
"Steve Lindsay"

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 5:13 AM, simone www.io-sound.org
<cimo75@gmail.com> wrote:
> hallo
> -jack on Ubuntu doesn t come with MIDI support

This is true, however the vast majority of applications are still
using alsa midi (jack midi is very recent).
What app are you trying to use that requires jack midi?

> -how is it possible that it asks for jack >= 0.50.0 when the latest stable
> release is 1.4.6 ?

To me that looks like you're compiling jack-rack, which is a different
thing from jack. And it looks like jack-rack has a dependency on jack
that can only be met by version >= 0.50.
I'd say make sure you really need to compile jack before you go down
that path, much easier to just use the stuff from the repo's.

Cheers....Steve.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:44 AM
"simone www.io-sound.org"

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 5:44 AM, Steve Lindsay
<stephen.a.lindsay@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 5:13 AM, simone www.io-sound.org
> <cimo75@gmail.com> wrote:
> > hallo
> > -jack on Ubuntu doesn t come with MIDI support
>
> This is true, however the vast majority of applications are still
> using alsa midi (jack midi is very recent).
> What app are you trying to use that requires jack midi?

ok i am sorry i meant JACK-RACK not JACK

> > -how is it possible that it asks for jack >= 0.50.0 when the latest stable
> > release is 1.4.6 ?
> >

> To me that looks like you're compiling jack-rack, which is a different
> thing from jack. And it looks like jack-rack has a dependency on jack
> that can only be met by version >= 0.50.
> I'd say make sure you really need to compile jack before you go down
> that path, much easier to just use the stuff from the repo's.
>
> Cheers....Steve.

sorry for misleading, anyway for all those who need to have midi
support for jack-rack (in ubuntu studio) you need to compile from
source and solve a few dependancies.
Now that i have jack-rack with MIDI support i amstill puzzled by a
little thing: i can map sliders to my MIDI controller but i am not
able to map buttons;i do it as usual, right click and get the midi
assignment stripe, assign it to a note but it won t work.This is not
related to ubuntu studio cause i have the same behaviour on
fedora8+planetccrma.
Thanks