Old 04-27-2008, 10:45 PM
"Jayson Rowe"

Default Thinking of installing Ubuntu Studio

Hi all - I'm a musician, and Ubuntu user. Back in my Mac days I was really "in to" using my computer for Music creation - mostly midi sequencing and some audio recording. I've also done a bit on Windows, but it's been a while, and I'm just thinking of getting back into it some* -* it was a great hobby for me then.

I do have some concerns though - Is Ubuntu Studio to "specialized" to also be useful for a general use workstation? I also use VMware Workstation heavily for my job, and from what I've read the RT kernel will only HELP me there, so I'm thinking I should be OK.

Anyone have an opinion otherwise?

Thanks in advance!
--
-jayson

Old 04-27-2008, 11:07 PM

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 18:45:30 -0400
"Jayson Rowe" <jayson.rowe@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all - I'm a musician, and Ubuntu user. Back in my Mac days I was
> really "in to" using my computer for Music creation - mostly midi
> sequencing and some audio recording. I've also done a bit on Windows,
> but it's been a while, and I'm just thinking of getting back into it
> some - it was a great hobby for me then.
>
> I do have some concerns though - Is Ubuntu Studio to "specialized" to
> also be useful for a general use workstation? I also use VMware
> Workstation heavily for my job, and from what I've read the RT kernel
> will only HELP me there, so I'm thinking I should be OK.
>
> Anyone have an opinion otherwise?
>
> Thanks in advance!

In general the rt-kernel can be used for everyday work just as well,
the main concern would be, to my very limited knowledge, security,
because the kernel isn't that widely tested. It also consumes more
power.

You could add the normal kernel any time and just need that if you
don't need the realtime capabilities.

It shouldn't be a problem in any case.

Best Regards,
Philipp

Old 04-28-2008, 05:58 PM
"Christopher Stamper"

You could just add the studio packages to a regular ubuntu install. I did, works fine.

> Hi all - I'm a musician, and Ubuntu user. Back in my Mac days I was

> really "in to" using my computer for Music creation - mostly midi

> sequencing and some audio recording. I've also done a bit on Windows,

> but it's been a while, and I'm just thinking of getting back into it

> some *- *it was a great hobby for me then.

> I do have some concerns though - Is Ubuntu Studio to "specialized" to

> also be useful for a general use workstation? I also use VMware

> Workstation heavily for my job, and from what I've read the RT kernel

> will only HELP me there, so I'm thinking I should be OK.

> Anyone have an opinion otherwise?

> Thanks in advance!

In general the rt-kernel can be used for everyday work just as well,

the main concern would be, to my very limited knowledge, security,

because the kernel isn't that widely tested. It also consumes more

power.

You could add the normal kernel any time and just need that if you

don't need the realtime capabilities.

It shouldn't be a problem in any case.

Best Regards,

* * * *Philipp

Christopher Stamper

Email: christopherstamper@gmail.com
Web: http://tinyurl.com/2ooncg

gTalk: http://tinyurl.com/6e359r
Skype: cdstamper

Old 05-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Gustin Johnson

I do the same, and I have VMware Workstation installed.

I only boot into the rt kernel when doing music work, though for midi
editing and about 80% of the audio tasks that I do, I don't need the rt
kernel.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:52 PM
"Luis de Bethencourt"

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 7:12 PM, Gustin Johnson <gustin@echostar.ca> wrote:

> I do the same, and I have VMware Workstation installed.
>
> I only boot into the rt kernel when doing music work, though for midi
> editing and about 80% of the audio tasks that I do, I don't need the rt
> kernel.

You don't "need" it but there is no downfall of using it either.

Luis

> Christopher Stamper wrote:
> | You could just add the studio packages to a regular ubuntu install. I
> | did, works fine.
> |
> | On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 7:07 PM, <hollunder@gmx.at
> | <mailto:hollunder@gmx.at>> wrote:
> |
> | On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 18:45:30 -0400
> | "Jayson Rowe" <jayson.rowe@gmail.com <mailto:jayson.rowe@gmail.com>>
> | wrote:
> |
> | > Hi all - I'm a musician, and Ubuntu user. Back in my Mac days I was
> | > really "in to" using my computer for Music creation - mostly midi
> | > sequencing and some audio recording. I've also done a bit on
> Windows,
> | > but it's been a while, and I'm just thinking of getting back
> into it
> | > some - it was a great hobby for me then.
> | >
> | > I do have some concerns though - Is Ubuntu Studio to
> "specialized" to
> | > also be useful for a general use workstation? I also use VMware
> | > Workstation heavily for my job, and from what I've read the RT
> kernel
> | > will only HELP me there, so I'm thinking I should be OK.
> | >
> | > Anyone have an opinion otherwise?
> | >
> | > Thanks in advance!
> |
> | In general the rt-kernel can be used for everyday work just as well,
> | the main concern would be, to my very limited knowledge, security,
> | because the kernel isn't that widely tested. It also consumes more
> | power.
> |
> | You could add the normal kernel any time and just need that if you
> | don't need the realtime capabilities.
> |
> | It shouldn't be a problem in any case.
> |
> | Best Regards,
> | Philipp
> |
> | --
> |

> | --
> | Christopher Stamper
> |
> | Email: christopherstamper@gmail.com <mailto:christopherstamper@gmail.com>
> | Web: http://tinyurl.com/2ooncg
> | gTalk: http://tinyurl.com/6e359r
> | Skype: cdstamper

Luis de Bethencourt Guimerį
luisbg
<luisbg@ubuntu.com>
GPG: B0ED1326

Old 05-02-2008, 02:19 PM
"Christopher Stamper"

"You don't "need" it but there is no downfall of using it either."

Exactly. I use it all the time on a couple Ubuntu PCs I have. No problems.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Gustin Johnson