-   -   upgrading from 7.10 to 8.04 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/76418-upgrading-7-10-8-04-a.html)

Matthew Polashek 04-26-2008 04:02 AM

upgrading from 7.10 to 8.04

Hi!

I have a super stable 7.10 box that I'm considering upgrading to 8.04.
Good idea or bad idea? I have several things I've built form source on
here.

Thanks!
Matt

Asmo Koskinen 04-26-2008 04:57 AM

upgrading from 7.10 to 8.04

Matthew Polashek kirjoitti:
> I have a super stable 7.10 box that I'm considering upgrading to 8.04.
> Good idea or bad idea? I have several things I've built form source on
> here.

"If It's Not Broken, Don't Fix It!" - Anonymous

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Bellegarde Laurent 04-26-2008 09:19 AM

upgrading from 7.10 to 8.04

Selon Asmo Koskinen <asmo.koskinen@arkki.info>:

> Matthew Polashek kirjoitti:
> > I have a super stable 7.10 box that I'm considering upgrading to 8.04.
> > Good idea or bad idea? I have several things I've built form source on
> > here.
>
> "If It's Not Broken, Don't Fix It!" - Anonymous
>
> Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Hi moving the software to the last release is sometimes not a good idea.

If your 7.10 is excellent, i should said to you, don't change until something
left you.

Laurent

Matthew Polashek 04-26-2008 11:42 AM

upgrading from 7.10 to 8.04

word.
Matthew Polashekmatt@tinysongs.net908.642.5770www.tinysong s.netwww.JandMJazz.comwww.bldband.com

"Luis de Bethencourt" 04-26-2008 11:49 AM

upgrading from 7.10 to 8.04

Check the changes in the software you use most and think if they are
worth the risk. Usually they are not if the system is perfect.

The best thing to do is to have 2 partitions for root systems and an
other one for home. That way you can have a stable system for
production and an unstable one to test stuff.

My two cents,
Luis

On 4/26/08, Matthew Polashek <matt@tinysongs.net> wrote:
> thanks!
>

> Matthew Polashek
> matt@tinysongs.net
> 908.642.5770
> www.tinysongs.net
> www.JandMJazz.com
> www.bldband.com
>

> On Apr 26, 2008, at 5:19 AM, Bellegarde Laurent wrote:
> Selon Asmo Koskinen <asmo.koskinen@arkki.info>:
>
> Matthew Polashek kirjoitti:
>
> I have a super stable 7.10 box that I'm considering upgrading to 8.04.
>
> Good idea or bad idea? I have several things I've built form source on
>
> here.
>
> "If It's Not Broken, Don't Fix It!" - Anonymous
>
> Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.
>
> Hi moving the software to the last release is sometimes not a good idea.
>
> If your 7.10 is excellent, i should said to you, don't change until
> something
> left you.
>
> Laurent

Luis de Bethencourt Guimerį
luisbg
<luisbg@ubuntu.com>
GPG: B0ED1326

"Daniel Green" 04-26-2008 05:00 PM

upgrading from 7.10 to 8.04

> I have a super stable 7.10 box that I'm considering upgrading to 8.04.
> Good idea or bad idea? I have several things I've built form source on
> here.

Step 0: Backup your current setup, that way if anything messes things
up you can revert to how the system was setup before without having to
reinstall. This a good first step for whatever you decide to do.

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in there.

"Christopher Stamper" 04-26-2008 05:28 PM

upgrading from 7.10 to 8.04

I'd say do it. Just backup /home, though... :-)

My 7.10 was never very stable, actually horribly unstable. So I'm doing a clean install.

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Daniel Green <octoberdan@gmail.com> wrote:

> *I have a super stable 7.10 box that I'm considering upgrading to 8.04.

> *Good idea or bad idea? *I have several things I've built form source on

> *here.

Step 0: Backup your current setup, that way if anything messes things

up you can revert to how the system was setup before without having to

reinstall. This a good first step for whatever you decide to do.

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in there.

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 12:02 AM, Matthew Polashek <matt@tinysongs.net> wrote:

> Hi!

> *I have a super stable 7.10 box that I'm considering upgrading to 8.04.

> *Good idea or bad idea? *I have several things I've built form source on

> *here.

> *Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

> *Thanks!

> *Matt

> *--

> *Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list

> *Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Christopher Stamper

Email: christopherstamper@gmail.com
Web: http://tinyurl.com/2ooncg

gTalk: http://tinyurl.com/6e359r
Skype: cdstamper

"Daniel Green" 04-26-2008 08:55 PM

upgrading from 7.10 to 8.04

> I'd say do it. Just backup /home, though... :-)

Good point. And perhaps any other configurations, if you can remember
what you've tweaked. But yeah, Gnu/Linux is the perfect OS for this
situation.

Adrien ROBIN 04-27-2008 03:53 PM

upgrading from 7.10 to 8.04

I've tried to upgrade UbuntuStudio from 7.10 to 8.04 and it appears that
there is a dependency problem concerning audacious which prevents the
upgrade from working. Since audacious is installed by default
(ubuntustudio-audio depends on it), the only thing to do is to wait
until this problem is solved. I believe this won't take too much time,
as it is only a dependency problem.

Nino