Old 04-25-2008, 01:22 PM
"Daniel Green"

Default Custom UbuntuStudio-Audio

Hello,

I've been trying to lure my producer friend away from Windows and
Ableton Live and towards UbuntuStudio and Ardour2. However, I want to
eliminate the need for post-install tweaking (like setting up the
realtime kernel and memory locking permissions). I also wanted to
experiment with a "pure" jack environment where jack (and the
connection kit) start up by default and applications are already
configured to use it. As this is intended for a machine devoted only
to recording and production, I'd also want to do some streamlining.
For starters, no compiz or effects (the ubuntustudio theme, however,
is a necessity). I would also like to assemble a collection of online
tutorials and documentation and store them locally as the machine will
not have internet access. I'd love to get him on the bandwagon! If
all else fails, at least this will be a fantastic learning experience.

So now I'm trying to figure out the best approach to delivering this
little abomination I have planned. Ideally it'll be something that
others can benefit from as well...

I look forward to hearing your suggestions and feedback,
Dan.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:14 PM
"Christopher Stamper"

Sounds like an excellent idea!

But I have no idea how you would do it.

(Is compiz included normally?)

[...]

Email: christopherstamper@gmail.com
Web: http://tinyurl.com/2ooncg

gTalk: http://tinyurl.com/6e359r
Skype: cdstamper

Old 04-25-2008, 05:32 PM
"Daniel Green"

> Sounds like an excellent idea!

Thanks :-)

> But I have no idea how you would do it.

Me neither, hehe. I know I can build an image locally, but I don't
know how I'd turn that into something that can be installed without a
bunch of leg work... perhaps I should check out how the LiveCD of the
boring* ubuntu versions work. hmm... I could download a live cd, mount
the image, chroot into it, and customize... I think I'll give that a
shot. I can use qemu to track my progress.

* ;-)

> (Is compiz included normally?)

I believe so. When I booted Hardy Heron up for the first time I was
shocked to find it installed. At first it was like "Oh, this is kind
of cool" but the novelty soon wore off and I wanted back my system
resources. Oh, and X kept crashing :-/, which I'm not sure was just
because I was using Beta Hardy, or...

Old 04-25-2008, 05:38 PM
"Christopher Stamper"

> (Is compiz included normally?)

"I believe so. When I booted Hardy Heron up for the first time I was

shocked to find it installed. At first it was like "Oh, this is kind

of cool" but the novelty soon wore off and I wanted back my system

resources. Oh, and X kept crashing :-/, which I'm not sure was just

because I was using Beta Hardy, or..."

But in studio? I know it is in regular ubuntu, but afaik, studio 7.10 did NOT have it installed. Nor could I get it installed easily... :-)

Old 04-25-2008, 05:45 PM
"Daniel Green"

> But in studio? I know it is in regular ubuntu, but afaik, studio 7.10 did
> NOT have it installed. Nor could I get it installed easily... :-)

Actually, to confess, I installed by package *hangs head in shame*.
UbuntuStudio was an after thought that quickly took over the rest of
my mind.

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 1:38 PM, Christopher Stamper

Old 04-25-2008, 05:46 PM
"simone www.io-sound.org"

yes it is installed in UbuntuStudio but you need to get Xgl up and running, just type compiz in a shell to check it out
Simone

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Christopher Stamper <christopherstamper@gmail.com> wrote:

> (Is compiz included normally?)

"I believe so. When I booted Hardy Heron up for the first time I was

shocked to find it installed. At first it was like "Oh, this is kind

of cool" but the novelty soon wore off and I wanted back my system

resources. Oh, and X kept crashing :-/, which I'm not sure was just

because I was using Beta Hardy, or..."

But in studio? I know it is in regular ubuntu, but afaik, studio 7.10 did NOT have it installed. Nor could I get it installed easily... :-)

.wmv , .wma , .pps along with all proprietary Windows formats won t be accepted and/or viewed.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:53 PM
"Daniel Green"

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization <-- customizing
the LiveCD
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallCDCustomization <--
customizing alternative install CD

Old 04-27-2008, 02:26 PM

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 13:53:16 -0400
"Daniel Green" <octoberdan@gmail.com> wrote:

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization <-- customizing
> the LiveCD
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallCDCustomization <--
> customizing alternative install CD

Cool.
One thing: Ubuntu Studio lacks some documentation in general, so it may be best
to write that in the wiki and just make an offline version of it available.

Documentation is, I believe, one of the most important parts for people who are
not familiar with either linux or audio on linux. It's just too different to
jump into without preparation or guidance.

Compiz is in by default, but not active.
It's in the release notes, which are sadly not yet found easily.

Best Regards,
Philipp

Old 05-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 05-01-2008, 06:04 PM
"Cory K."

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> For production I am still using 64studio. You have to start qjackctl
> from the menu, but by default everything (that I use anyway) is jack
> aware. They also ship with an RT kernel by default. There are 32 and
> 64 bit variants.

How is any of this different from Studio?

-Cory m/