Old 04-22-2008, 06:27 PM
"Daniel Green"

Default Upgrading to Ardour 2.4.1

Hello,

I noticed that Hardy Heron's Ardour version is only 2.3.1. I've tried
upgrading to Ardour 2.4.1 with the debian package, but run into weird
problems that end up forcing me to apt-get install -f until the
original ardour version is installed... Is there an ubuntu package out
there? How would I go about building one if there isn't? Is there
another way I can do this? I'd really like to be running the latest
version of Ardour.

Any help/input will be greatly appreciated,
Thank you for your time!

Old 04-22-2008, 07:20 PM
"Cory K."

Daniel Green wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed that Hardy Heron's Ardour version is only 2.3.1. I've tried
> upgrading to Ardour 2.4.1 with the debian package, but run into weird
> problems that end up forcing me to apt-get install -f until the
> original ardour version is installed... Is there an ubuntu package out
> there? How would I go about building one if there isn't? Is there
> another way I can do this? I'd really like to be running the latest
> version of Ardour.
>
> Any help/input will be greatly appreciated,
> Thank you for your time!

Build it from source. It's easy and the guys on #ardour are helpful.

-Cory m/

Old 04-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Oscar

Hi Daniel,
I've just updated the package in the repository to version 2.4.1. If
you want to try it add these entries to your sources.list, and then
you should be able to install it through synaptic:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/spacepluk/ubuntu hardy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/spacepluk/ubuntu hardy main

The package also includes a new spanish translation that I made some
weeks ag. I've sent it to Paul but I think it's not included yet in
ardour's SVN. Let me know if you experience any issue with the
package,
Saludos

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 8:27 PM, Daniel Green <octoberdan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed that Hardy Heron's Ardour version is only 2.3.1. I've tried
> upgrading to Ardour 2.4.1 with the debian package, but run into weird
> problems that end up forcing me to apt-get install -f until the
> original ardour version is installed... Is there an ubuntu package out
> there? How would I go about building one if there isn't? Is there
> another way I can do this? I'd really like to be running the latest
> version of Ardour.
>
> Any help/input will be greatly appreciated,
> Thank you for your time!

Oscar Morante
GPG: CA7417FF

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there
is." - Isaac Asimov.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Jesus Arocho

On Tuesday 22 April 2008 14:27:02 Daniel Green wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed that Hardy Heron's Ardour version is only 2.3.1. I've tried
> upgrading to Ardour 2.4.1 with the debian package, but run into weird
> problems that end up forcing me to apt-get install -f until the
> original ardour version is installed... Is there an ubuntu package out
> there? How would I go about building one if there isn't? Is there
> another way I can do this? I'd really like to be running the latest
> version of Ardour.
>
> Any help/input will be greatly appreciated,
> Thank you for your time!

For certain programs I just compile so I can have the latest version, ardour
is one of them. I also compile digikam, ufraw, and GIMP.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:33 PM
"Daniel Green"

> For certain programs I just compile so I can have the latest version, ardour
> is one of them. I also compile digikam, ufraw, and GIMP.

I had trouble getting ardour to compile with ubuntu. I kept installing
the dependencies as they were pointed out to me, but then hit a wall
when told that my version of jack wasn't adequate... which didn't
seem right as I had the latest from the repository... I gave up after
that. Plus, I'd rather have my versioning managed by apt so as to save
me time in the future.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:34 PM
"Daniel Green"

> I've just updated the package in the repository to version 2.4.1. If
> you want to try it add these entries to your sources.list, and then
> you should be able to install it through synaptic:

Oh! Awesome. Thanks! :-). I'll let you know if I run into any
problems. Will this be the version for Hardy's release? It seems silly
to release with 2.3...

Old 04-23-2008, 04:00 AM
"Daniel Green"

Hmmm, for somereason my /etc/security/limits.conf was overwritten when
I upgraded, but I think this may have been mere coincidence...

Old 04-23-2008, 04:09 AM
"Jason Schaefer"

its because it needs the dev package for jack, libjack-dev.

Just for reference, this is a rough list of packages that I installed
in order to compile ardour 2.4.1

apt-get install libasound2-dev libsamplerate0-dev libsamplerate0
libjack-dev libboost-dev libfftw3-dev libfftw3-3 librdf0 libraptor1
libart-2.0-dev libxslt1-dev xml2 liblo0-dev libgnomecanvas2-dev
liblrdf0 liblrdf0-dev libglib2.0-dev libglib2.0-0

and then this->
tar xfvj ardour-2.4.1.tar.bz2
cd ardour-2.4.1/
scons
sudo scons install

Old 04-23-2008, 07:40 AM
Oscar

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:34 AM, Daniel Green <octoberdan@gmail.com> wrote:

Oh! Awesome. Thanks! :-). I'll let you know if I run into any

problems. Will this be the version for Hardy's release? It seems silly

to release with 2.3...

I'm afraid I was late to have it included in Hardy. I hope to have the package reviewed by someone from #ubuntu-motu in a couple of weeks, since at this time everybody seems to be very busy

Old 04-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Oscar

I'll check but I think the ardour package doen't mess with that file. Maybe some of the dependencies??
Saludos