Old 09-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Azarel Howard

Default Hi folks. which is best desquetop to use with buntu

I’m going to put my neck out and say Unity. If you’re going to use the Ubuntu name then.... don’t mess with the foundation more than is needed especially the UI. Move the launcher to the bottom by all means but... don’t roll back to Gnome2
*I’ve been*‘using’ Ubuntu Studio*for about a week now* (haven’t actually used the software for recording or anything yet but I’ve started customizing it and adding my personal software bits)*Going back to the Gnome2 interface from Pre-Ubuntu 10.04 was a disaster. It’s not logical let’s put it this way. If you’re going to have a launcher the applications should minimize to there not to the top of the screen! :|
*Also*the login screen needs to be able to detect when you've installed other GUI’s cause Unity isn’t coming up as a login option.*Well that’s my 20c *Get the feeling I’m one of the minority that actually likes the new Unity interface and*dislikes Gnome but... we all have our own tastes.
*azariah

Old 09-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Mike Holstein

On Sep 22, 2012 5:43 PM, "Azarel Howard" <azariah001@gmail.com> wrote:

> I’m going to put my neck out and say Unity. If you’re going to use the Ubuntu name then.... don’t mess with the foundation more than is needed especially the UI. Move the launcher to the bottom by all means but... don’t roll back to Gnome2

> *

> I’ve been*‘using’ Ubuntu Studio*for about a week now* (haven’t actually used the software for recording or anything yet but I’ve started customizing it and adding my personal software bits)*Going back to the Gnome2 interface from Pre-Ubuntu 10.04 was a disaster. It’s not logical let’s put it this way. If you’re going to have a launcher the applications should minimize to there not to the top of the screen! :|

> *

> Also*the login screen needs to be able to detect when you've installed other GUI’s cause Unity isn’t coming up as a login option.

> *

> Well that’s my 20c

> *

> Get the feeling I’m one of the minority that actually likes the new Unity interface and*dislikes Gnome but... we all have our own tastes.

> *

> azariah

I think unity is fine. I don't think I'll ever use it personally, but I have no problem suggesting its use, or supporting it. Ubuntustudio ships with xfce. If you have been using unity, you have not been using ubuntustudio. Back when both ubuntu and ubuntustudio both used gnome2, I would routinely install ubuntu and add what I needed from the audio, video, and graphics packages. As I stated before, this can still easily be done. If one wants to run unity, you install ubuntu, and add what you want from either the audio, video and/or graphics packages, or you can install ubuntustudio, and from there install the ubuntu-desktop.

We chose xfce for a few reasons. The look and feel was more like that of the older ubuntustudio gnome2 desktop, and the xubuntu team is just awesome and so helpful.

There are lots of folks who use some ubuntu base, and take advantage of either the ubuntustudio packages or metapackages. Users are welcome and encouraged to do this. Kubuntu base users, xubuntu, lubuntu... custom minimal versions or the main vanilla distro running unity.

The facts:

"Best" is a matter of opinion.

Ubuntustudio ships with xfce.

The studio packages work with all of them.

You can easily switch between them.

Unity is an option.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Rob

On 09/22/2012 05:42 PM, Azarel Howard wrote:
> I’ve been ‘using’ Ubuntu Studio for about a week now (haven’t actually
> used the software for recording or anything yet but I’ve started
> customizing it and adding my personal software bits) Going back to the
> Gnome2 interface from Pre-Ubuntu 10.04 was a disaster. It’s not logical

Ubuntu Studio currently uses XFCE, not any version of GNOME. Personally, I'm pretty grateful for that, having been running XFCE ever since the advent of Unity anyway. But I keep my taskbar on the top, also grateful that it doesn't double as a launcher and even more so that it doesn't group all my Pidgin or Thunar windows into one entry like proprietary operating systems (and those who would imitate them) do.

Of course, there's no reason you can't apt-get install ubuntu-desktop if you'd rather pretend you're using an off-brand tablet.

Rob

Old 09-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Mike Holstein

On Sep 22, 2012 6:43 PM, "Rob" <lau@kudla.org> wrote:

> On 09/22/2012 05:42 PM, Azarel Howard wrote:

> > I’ve been ‘using’ Ubuntu Studio for about a week now *(haven’t actually

> > used the software for recording or anything yet but I’ve started

> > customizing it and adding my personal software bits) Going back to the

> > Gnome2 interface from Pre-Ubuntu 10.04 was a disaster. It’s not logical

> Ubuntu Studio currently uses XFCE, not any version of GNOME. Personally, I'm pretty grateful for that, having been running XFCE ever since the advent of Unity anyway. *But I keep my taskbar on the top, also grateful that it doesn't double as a launcher and even more so that it doesn't group all my Pidgin or Thunar windows into one entry like proprietary operating systems (and those who would imitate them) do.

> Of course, there's no reason you can't apt-get install ubuntu-desktop if you'd rather pretend you're using an off-brand tablet.

> Rob

That reminds me.. since ubuntu is providing the most current version of gnome (just like it always has) it is also easy to install gnome3 and use it with the ubuntustudio packages... enjoy them all!

Old 09-23-2012, 02:03 AM
Andrew Huys

On 9/22/12 5:42 PM, Azarel Howard
[...]

One of the advantages of XFCE is that it is highly customizable.* It
is possible to move the Window Buttons to the bottom of the screen.*
Check out
<http://www.zimagez.com/zimage/screenshot-09052012-121814pm.php#>

ANDHUYS

Old 09-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Ho Wan Chan

Er......

In my personal opinion I will say that Xfce is the best. People like Xubuntu more I think....

However it is strictly easy to use other DEs. Like in Ubuntu (Unity) just install ubuntustudio-* packages (please exclude ubuntustudio-desktop as it will install xfce for ya) then you get all.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Azarel Howard

I've tried KDE nice DE except for how it manages desktop shortcuts. Quite simply I found that it doesn't. Supposedly special frame/s on the desktop are where your shortcuts go but you can't just drag and drop to make a new shortcut. :| at least that's how it was when I tried it. Has this been changed?

--
Azarel J Howard

Old 09-25-2012, 11:04 PM
Mike Holstein

On Sep 25, 2012 4:03 PM, "Azarel Howard" <azariah001@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've tried KDE nice DE except for how it manages desktop shortcuts. Quite simply I found that it doesn't. Supposedly special frame/s on the desktop are where your shortcuts go but you can't just drag and drop to make a new shortcut. :| at least that's how it was when I tried it. Has this been changed?

I would just pop into a kubuntu support channel on the irc, or a kde one... or maybe send a list to the kubuntu users list. I haven't used kde enough to know how to customize it much, though kxstudio is kde based and I know the studio stuff works fine... enjoy