-   -   Hi folks. which is best desquetop to use with buntu studio? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/705996-hi-folks-best-desquetop-use-buntu-studio.html)

Alex Armani 09-21-2012 03:47 AM

Hi folks. which is best desquetop to use with buntu studio?

Gnome 2.32 or HFCE? or unitity or Gnome 3.4.2? 64 bit real time kernel.
*--*

*Alex Armani - IT Consultant / Digital Musician*
+44 775 459 5449 - MYspace.com/Alex.Armani
*www.facebook.com/Alex.Armani.01.UK

Mike Holstein 09-21-2012 04:00 AM

Hi folks. which is best desquetop to use with buntu studio?

Gnome 2.32 or HFCE? or unitity or Gnome 3.4.2? 64 bit real time kernel.

gnome2 is end of life. i'll assume HFCE was supposed to be XFCE, and thats what we have decided to ship with ubuntustudio... unity or gnome3 would be fine as well, if thats what you want to use. ubuntustudio *is* ubuntu, so you can just use whatever parts of the ubuntustudio metapackages, or the applications that make up those metapackages with whatever environment you choose. not sure you are are asking about a 64bit real time kernel, or what environment would work best with a 64bit realtime kernel.. either way, we ship ubuntustudio with a lowlatency kernel by default. this is available in the normal repos and can by installed in the default ubuntu installation easily if you want. 64bit or 32, doesnt matter...

i would just whatever you are comfortable with, and keep in mind you can fire up the ubuntustudio live DVD and see what our XFCE implementation is like.. enjoy!
ps AVlinux ships with the LXDE environment, which is also a nice workspace. you could install lubuntu and ubuntustudio-audio for example...

--*

*Alex Armani - IT Consultant / Digital Musician*
+44 775 459 5449 - MYspace.com/Alex.Armani
*www.facebook.com/Alex.Armani.01.UK

MH
mikeholstein.info

David King 09-21-2012 10:26 AM

--

I have found XFCE in Ubuntu Studio to work really well. I have used
other distros with XFCE and they were nowhere near as good as the

I have tried Unity and did not like it, although it might work
really well on a tablet PC. If you like Gnome 2, then you can always
try MATE which is a continuation of that but more up to date. Gnome
3 Shell is not much good, you get hardly anything on the desktop and
it is really hard to do anything. But there is a version of Gnome 3
called Cinnamon which works really well.

If you are new to Linux or Ubuntu in general, then the default XFCE
is worth trying out first, and there is no need to install another
desktop as it can still run Gnome apps without installing the Gnome
desktop.

David K

Andrew Huys 09-21-2012 10:34 AM

Hi folks. which is best desquetop to use with buntu studio?

My personal opinion leans toward XFCE instead of GNOME3 or Unity,
due to the simple fact that it uses less system resources.* On my
favorite image editing laptop (Lenovo T60p) I only have 1.83
Centrino Duo and 2GB RAM, so less is more.

As far as ease of use, I'd vouch for XFCE, although I do use GNOME3
on my ArchLinux IBM T43.*

Xfce is much more configurable than GNOME3, a plus for me.* You can
make it look like M$Windows, OSX (using AWN or Docky), Unity, GNOME2
etc.

On 09/21/2012 12:00 AM, Mike Holstein

Ralf Mardorf 09-21-2012 12:19 PM

Hi folks. which is best desquetop to use with buntu studio?

The best replacement for GNOME2 is Xfce. Xfce for precise is stable.
Usually it's stable for other distros too, there was a spell when it
wasn't for a rolling release I'm using parallel to Ubuntu Studio.
LXDE is good too, but not as good as successor for GNOME2 as Xfce is.
Mate and there's another forge, have forgotten it's name, might be good,
but they for sure are less used than Xfce. The huger the user base is,
the more stable a DE will be.

Xfce for Ubuntu Studio IMO is the right choice.

2 Cents,
Ralf