Old 09-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Mike Holstein

Default gtk apps in xfce ubuntustudio

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Art Slurry <info@slurryart.com> wrote:

Hi: *apologies if this isn't the right place to post this... I'm a new ubuntustudio user.. the only thing that was a deal breaker for me, was the inconsistent themes between the xfce apps and the default gtk apps (e.g. gedit, nautilus). *Because I have to use a dark theme (Phasex-Dark was my initial preference), the default apps like nautilus insisting on using a very light theme, I had to figure out a way to change this. *After hours of googling I finally got it by installing gtk2-engines-equinox and 'Moonrise' from gnome-look.org... or at least I think that is the combination that finally worked... now I have consistent dark themes throughout, regardless of the app.

I'm writing this in hopes that it will help others needing a consistent dark theme, and also to request for updates in the future to include dark themes that will work with all apps, specifically the default apps like those mentioned. *I know that themes are often low priority, and that there are potentially thousands of reasons why this is not configured by default. *I haven't a clue why what I did worked -- I wish I was techy enough to understand it, so I could help somehow rather than just pointing out issues. *To have such a complete well-thought-out release (the best I've seen yet for audio/video work), then no consistency by default with themes gives it an unfinished look and feel, but an awesome otherwise complete system. *I hope the developers will make accessibility issues a priority as soon as it's convenient to do so -- all the others let it slide... you all have done so much in such a short time to release the perfect OS, and I'm thankful for that work.

it will be challenging to have a theme that will work with "all" apps. you can always just use the xubuntu-desktop theme, or any of the other lighter ones.. or, feel free to try the upcoming 12.10 release and let us know what is not looking correct to you. thanks!*

MH
mikeholstein.info

Old 09-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Ralf Mardorf

You had good luck

I never have seen a dark seem for Linux, that was ok, for what DE ever.
There always were drawbacks. Sometimes GTK apps suffer even from light
themes, when running Xfce. IMO it's most important, that everything is
visible, text and scroll bars shouldn't become invisible. If the
combination you checked out should be ok, please share all settings.

Regards,
Ralf

Old 09-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Art Slurry