Old 09-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Art Slurry

Default gtk apps in xfce ubuntustudio

Hi: apologies if this isn't the right place to post this... I'm a new
ubuntustudio user.. the only thing that was a deal breaker for me, was
the inconsistent themes between the xfce apps and the default gtk apps
(e.g. gedit, nautilus). Because I have to use a dark theme (Phasex-Dark
was my initial preference), the default apps like nautilus insisting on
using a very light theme, I had to figure out a way to change this.
After hours of googling I finally got it by installing
gtk2-engines-equinox and 'Moonrise' from gnome-look.org... or at least I
think that is the combination that finally worked... now I have
consistent dark themes throughout, regardless of the app.

I'm writing this in hopes that it will help others needing a consistent
dark theme, and also to request for updates in the future to include
dark themes that will work with all apps, specifically the default apps
like those mentioned. I know that themes are often low priority, and
that there are potentially thousands of reasons why this is not
configured by default. I haven't a clue why what I did worked -- I wish
I was techy enough to understand it, so I could help somehow rather than
just pointing out issues. To have such a complete well-thought-out
release (the best I've seen yet for audio/video work), then no
consistency by default with themes gives it an unfinished look and feel,
but an awesome otherwise complete system. I hope the developers will
make accessibility issues a priority as soon as it's convenient to do so
-- all the others let it slide... you all have done so much in such a
short time to release the perfect OS, and I'm thankful for that work.