-   -   Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Beta 1 Image testing (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/700724-ubuntu-studio-12-10-beta-1-image-testing.html)

Ho Wan Chan 09-05-2012 09:25 AM

Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Beta 1 Image testing

Dear Ubuntu Studio contributors, developers, users and Ubuntu testers,

I hereby invite everybody to test Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Beta 1 Image.

If you do have tested the previous images of Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Beta 1 (before 20120905) you would have experienced quite a number of bugs, thanks to Len Ovenwerks for reporting them (strangely the internet speed has been so slow before today that I have not been able to test the amd64 images). But then most of the bugs have been fixed, and I think it is a good moment to invite everybody to test.

Today and tomorrow will be very important, since tomorrow 12.10 Beta 1 will be officially released.

Please download the image from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/dvd/current/ and test the image. Report any bugs by typing "ubuntu-bug ubiquity" in the terminal emulator if you encountered the bug when installing. Then go to http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/232/builds, click Ubuntu Studio "the architecture which you tested", then report either a pass or failed result for ubiquity and the live session.

If you wish to find any help on testing, find me on #ubuntu-testing or #ubuntustudio-devel at irc.freenode.net. Also Len Ovenwerks (len-dt @ #ubuntustudio-devel), Janne Jokitalo (astraljava @ #ubuntu-testing and #ubuntustudio-devel), Scott Lavender (scott-work @ #ubuntustudio-devel), or Nicholas Skaggs (balloons @ #ubuntu-testing).

Finally I wish you a success in testing:)

Regards,
Howard Chan (smartboyhw @ freenode)
Ubuntu Studio Team Member, Ubuntu Testing Team Member

Ho Wan Chan 09-05-2012 02:03 PM

Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Beta 1 Image testing

Er, a additional remark that was requested by Mike Holstein.

To download the build which is ACCEPTED in the ISO QA Tracker, go to http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/232/builds/22562/downloads

Testcases can be found in:
http://testcases.qa.ubuntu.com/Install/DesktopWhole
http://testcases.qa.ubuntu.com/Install/DesktopLiveSession

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Cases/UbuntuStudio

So download from the first link, follow the instructions on the three other links and report the result in ISO QA Tracker.

Ho Wan Chan 09-06-2012 10:03 AM

Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Beta 1 Image testing

Oh news:)

The Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Beta 1 Builds have been marked ready.

So thank you Len Ovenwerks :)

Anyway, but then, please still use the ISO QA Tracker to help test OTHER flavours. Since Ubuntu Studio is the ONLY one marked ready, please do help test other builds, especially those with no results reported.:)

Just go to http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com to test the flavours (make sure you click "Quantal Beta 1")

Thanks:)

Next email to Ubuntu Testers: A new ISO QA Tracker for localized builds!

Melvin Ray Herr 09-06-2012 01:14 PM

Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Beta 1 Image testing

Seems to me that just one day available for testing is not enough. What about those of us who would like to test but absolutely couldn't get it worked into our schedule in the minuscule amount of time between the call for testers and the release?

The previous release doesn't work very well on my machines. On my laptop it chews up the battery at about 4-5 times the rate that windows does. On my desktop with multiple monitors the screen layout isn't saved between reboots.

I was wanting to test this one but the testing period blew by in a flash.

Ho Wan Chan 09-06-2012 01:19 PM

Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Beta 1 Image testing

Well actually we do recommend people to test daily images EVERY DAY (honest), so we didn't actually restrict the testing period. However the builds BEFORE 20120905 are, well, bad due to ubiquity, so then we only have 2 days (20120905 and 20120906) to test. And since the release team has marked it as ready, we can't argue. Actually it is the job of the project leader (Scott Lavender) to determine whether it's good or bad, so we can't challenge it.

Anyway we are already lucky. I heard Xubuntu isn't even going to release 12.10 Beta 1 due to test failures.

Mike Holstein 09-06-2012 01:20 PM

Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Beta 1 Image testing

Seems to me that just one day available for testing is not enough. What about those of us who would like to test but absolutely couldn't get it worked into our schedule in the minuscule amount of time between the call for testers and the release?

The previous release doesn't work very well on my machines. On my laptop it chews up the battery at about 4-5 times the rate that windows does. On my desktop with multiple monitors the screen layout isn't saved between reboots.

I was wanting to test this one but the testing period blew by in a flash.

feel free to go ahead and test and file bugs relating to your specific hardware case. these tests are for us to be able to officially release the operating system installation CD's... they get built when they are ready, and the tests are due on a schedule. this doesnt mean things you test and report as bugs wont get looked at.

[...]

MH
mikeholstein.info

Ralf Mardorf 09-11-2012 01:20 PM

Melvin Ray Herr wrote:
> On my laptop it chews up the battery at about 4-5 times the rate that
> windows does.

CPU frequency scaling?

Melvin Ray Herr 09-11-2012 02:46 PM

Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Beta 1 Image testing

maybe so. the generic kernel helps a great deal although I didn't take the time to check if the battery now lasts as long as I think it should.

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

Melvin Ray Herr wrote:

> On my laptop it chews up the battery at about 4-5 times the rate that

> windows does.

CPU frequency scaling?