Old 08-26-2012, 09:14 AM
bart deruyter

Default How to use Inkscape? - objects and nodes

Ralf,
A commonly used way is to let inkscape trace it automatically: path->trace bitmap.
The results are not perfect, far from it, but it is a way to get a starting point that is managable in combination with 'path -> simplify' when needed.

I use that technique very often when I'm asked to make a poster and they deliver the logo's of the sponsors in a way to low resolution (80px - 120px for example). It has been a lifesaver numerous times.

When it's about shapes, I always keep the conversion to path as the last part, the moment when it has to be deformed to 'not being a shape (square, circle, star, triangle... ) anymore.

A lasso tool for selecting nodes would come in very handy indeed, though with shift and drag-selecting I never really had issues. It are default buttons in all applications when it's about selecting several items.

About inkscapes usability, I have used indesign and illustrator in the past too (quite some years ago though) and I do find Inkscape easier to use. Perhaps I should try a newer illustrator to check how they compare today :-).

Grtz,
Barthttp://www.bartart3d.be/
On facebook

On Twitter
On Identi.ca
On Google+

2012/8/26 Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>

On Sun, 2012-08-26 at 10:09 +0200, bart deruyter wrote:

> If you want a real drawing on a computer, grab a pencil and paper and

> draw, then scan it in.

> If you want digital images, use your computer, fiddle around with

> vector graphics or 3D graphics or even gimp, mypaint and equivalents.

If you need svg for icons you can't paint with a pencil on paper and

simply scan it . After scanning an outline drawing, it's nice to work

with an app like GIMP. Inkscape allows to draw Bezier curves, over the

outlines you already have drawn and then scanned. I wonder if there's no

way to automate this, instead of using tons of mouse movements and mouse

clicks. Isn't there some kind of magnetic lasso for Bezire curves? Or at

least some functionality as I described is provided by neu.Draw, where

it's possible to add some nodes to objects as a circle, while handling

those nodes also is easier, than it is for Inkscape. Perhaps Inkscape

has got all that functionality, but I can't find it.

Regards,

Ralf

Old 08-26-2012, 09:26 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sun, 2012-08-26 at 11:14 +0200, bart deruyter wrote:
> Ralf,
>

> A commonly used way is to let inkscape trace it automatically:
> path->trace bitmap.
>

> The results are not perfect, far from it, but it is a way to get a
> starting point that is managable in combination with 'path ->
> simplify' when needed.
>

> I use that technique very often when I'm asked to make a poster and
> they deliver the logo's of the sponsors in a way to low resolution
> (80px - 120px for example). It has been a lifesaver numerous times.
>

> When it's about shapes, I always keep the conversion to path as the
> last part, the moment when it has to be deformed to 'not being a shape
> (square, circle, star, triangle... ) anymore.
>

> A lasso tool for selecting nodes would come in very handy indeed,
> though with shift and drag-selecting I never really had issues. It are
> default buttons in all applications when it's about selecting several
> items. [snip]

Thank you Bart,

this are helpful hints. If possible I try to test it today.

Regards,
Ralf